Painting Versus spraying Kitchen units

Concert

Have decided to paint my kitchen units in a Farrow and Ball 'New White'. It's a large kitchen incorporating a dining and family room with a big fireplace but no matter what I cant brighten it as the room faces North and always appears dull even though lighting is very good. Have been told that spray painting would be a lot better but have seen hand painted kitchens and they look lovely but wondering are they as durable ?

You have chosen the best paint for the job in F&b. I would hand paint it because it looks miles better.
If you spray the kitchen you would have to strip the whole kitchen-bring to spray shop-back to house-put kitchen back together.
The key is to get a good painter to do it.
It should not cost more than 400 euro for the painter

Always use Farrow & Ball, gives a wonderful finish all over house, hardest part is trying to pick a colour, they are all so gorgeous.

Hand painting is far better for a second hand kitchen as spray painting will require you to strip back the hole kitchen and remove all signs of silicone, oil etc....
Ask Farrow & Ball for advice on the preparation and use of their OIL based paints.
Spray paint is durable when bought from new from a factory that use,s materials that are fit for purpose, ie siematic , Kube , Leicht etc....

Farrow and Ball paints are not designed for spraying.. although they do say to contact them for best practice if spraying. The paints would have to be thinned as there're far too thick for 'atomising' in a spray gun. This likely also applies to spray guns designed for spraying thicker paints.

A company like Morrells will make cellulose paints in the F&B colours... these are perfect for spraying, but colours are not identical.

I think handpainting is preferable for cabinets.. the finish coat is thicker, with more texture, and is easier to recoat.

400 Euro for the painter.. I think this is far too cheap.. I'd say 700 to 800 perhaps, it is a large kitchen you say, and if you want the work done correctly you must pay an appropriate amount. Perhaps 400 might be enough if you pay for the paints, and you illegally pay 80 cash per day for example...

Our kitchen units were handpainted with F&B paint approx 4-5 years ago and still look as good as new.

i painted my kitchen last year and would recomend a paint conditioner called owatrol oil ,it makes it easier to brush on and also leaves no brush marks.....google it....they also do one for water based paint called flotrol.As someone once said garlic bread its the future ive tasted it!

Have decided to paint my kitchen units in a Farrow and Ball 'New White'. It's a large kitchen incorporating a dining and family room with a big fireplace but no matter what I cant brighten it as the room faces North and always appears dull even though lighting is very good. Have been told that spray painting would be a lot better but have seen hand painted kitchens and they look lovely but wondering are they as durable ?
About to attempt this myself. Did you eventually get yours painted? Any recommendations for a painter?

Another interested party here too. Just moved in to a new place and thinking of painting the wooden units a cream tone.

Is this F&B paint easily found? I've never heard of it.

Any tips on doing it yourself? Oils, brushes, techniques to use etc.

Is this F&B paint easily found? I've never heard of it.

The Stillorgan Decor centre has an excellent selection of Farrow and Ball paints as well as Colortrend. Located on the lower Kilmacud Road beside the Stillorgan Shopping Centre. Also if you head down to Rathnew and see these showrooms you will get an idea of the Farrow and Ball colours.

http://www.newcastledesign.ie/

Will not be doing any painting until Spring, in meantime had a look at a neighbours kitchen which she had hand painted, absolutely beautiful job, total transformation from a dull oak kitchen to a new painted kitchen. She used New White by F&B. could not believe the transformation.

The Stillorgan Decor centre has an excellent selection of Farrow and Ball paints as well as Colortrend. Located on the lower Kilmacud Road beside the Stillorgan Shopping Centre. Also if you head down to Rathnew and see these showrooms you will get an idea of the Farrow and Ball colours.

http://www.newcastledesign.ie/

In donegal, so wont be travelling that far for paint.

Must look up round here for it. Is ColourTrend a good brand too?

[broken link removed]

Just painted my hall, stairs and landing using a ColorTrend paint. Very happy.

You have chosen the best paint for the job in F&b. I would hand paint it because it looks miles better.
If you spray the kitchen you would have to strip the whole kitchen-bring to spray shop-back to house-put kitchen back together.
The key is to get a good painter to do it.
It should not cost more than 400 euro for the painter
400 euro for materials maybe.......

hey there mr moderator...well i take it we are talking about doing the job from the start ,i.e from the bare wood position...all knots need to be treated,with a knotting solution..then you need about 2 coats of undercoat.and 2 coats of finish coat. add to thati a few rolls of tape some sanding sponges one or 2 brushes,then you need a little bit more than one can of paint,but i take your point still probably under 400 euro on materials.but you wont get the job done for 400euro when you add in materials...

sorry leo,i thought i was on a different thread...just read the first post....but the points are much the same...by right the units need to be cleaned down.and at least 2 coats of B.I.N primer need to be applied then your finish coats of the farrow and ball,and for best results a clear water based varnish over that again,and again some 3 m tape or blue tape 1 or 2 brushes some sponges and thats more than one can of paint...but as i said before less than 400 euro but more than one can of paint...about 3 days min to do the job then a painter is going to be a bit more than 400 euro...

No prob Jab1, I wasn't posting as a moderator, just an interested party who thought 400 was too high for materials for this particular job.

I think beyond the paint, the other materials are relatively cheap, especially for a pro who would be bulk buying. However, as you point out, a proper job requires a lot more than the final coat of paint. The labour costs would be significant here for a quality job, going through all the stages of removing the cabinets, cleaning, prep, priming, painting, and final finish is time consuming work if done properly.
Leo

Back