Over 65s Job Seekers Benefit denied because of ARF PRSI type S contributions

cerveza

I recently applied for the Over 65s Job Seekers Benefit. I receive a monthly distribution from my ARF and I pay Income Tax, PRSI and USC on this.
The PRSI contribution is type S (self employed). I am retired. I am not Self Employed and have never been Self Employed but the Department of SocialWelfare have classified me as Self Employed because of the PRSI type S contributions. They have rejected my application on the basis that I am "Self Employed". I am in the process of appealing the decision. Any advice ?

I presume your ARF is more than 7500 euro per year.
Do you have more than 117 paid S class Prsi contributions on your ARF in the last 3 year period. If you have you could consider appealing the decision not to grant the payment.

In my written parliamentary questions

Tuesday, 5 April 2022​

Questions (533, 534, 535, 536)​

the minister for social protection Heather Humphreys stated as follows...

"One of the qualifying conditions for Benefit Payment for 65 year Olds is that a person must no longer be engaged in employment or self- employment. However, customers may continue to work in subsidiary employment while in receipt of Benefit Payment for 65 Year Olds, provided that the remuneration or profit from the occupation does not exceed €7,500 per annum or €144 on a weekly basis. Subsidiary employment is defined as work that could have been done while a person was in full-time employment and outside their normal working hours. Where a person has more than 117 contributions in the 3 years prior to becoming unemployed there is no income limit applied."

Quote this statement from the minister as the basis for your appeal.
You need to appeal within 21 days of the decision date.

Last edited:
I presume your ARF is more than 7500 euro per year.
Do you have more than 117 paid S class Prsi contributions on your ARF in the last 3 year period. If you have you could consider appealing the decision not to grant the payment.

In my written parliamentary questions

Tuesday, 5 April 2022​

Questions (533, 534, 535, 536)​

the minister for social protection Heather Humphreys stated as follows...

"One of the qualifying conditions for Benefit Payment for 65 year Olds is that a person must no longer be engaged in employment or self- employment. However, customers may continue to work in subsidiary employment while in receipt of Benefit Payment for 65 Year Olds, provided that the remuneration or profit from the occupation does not exceed €7,500 per annum or €144 on a weekly basis. Subsidiary employment is defined as work that could have been done while a person was in full-time employment and outside their normal working hours. Where a person has more than 117 contributions in the 3 years prior to becoming unemployed there is no income limit applied."

Quote this statement from the minister as the basis for your appeal.
You need to appeal within one month of the decision date.
Many thanks. I'll appeal on that basis.

Back