Opinion and Discussion: Household Charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see the detail for what this charge is to be used for. To be fair it should be based on size of property/or value.
In comparison the council tax in UK is a lot more than here but it is very clear what the charges are used for and you get a lot of services included for it too.
This 100 euro charge will be in addition to other council charges.
I live in a new estate of 5 houses and the council do not look after any part of the shared land around the properties. This is paid for by the residents. I dread the day when any expensive maintenance work is required.
And so the state thinks this 100 euros is fair, well it might be if they were clear on its use.

a) you pay unless its on the ministers list of unfinished estates.

b)you have a waiver providing your estate is on the Ministers list.

(this is based on my reading of the Bill)

My estate has no street lights. Is that classed as unfinished???

My estate has no street lights. Is that classed as unfinished???

(5) The Minister shall not prescribe a list for the purposes of this
section unless he or she is satisfied that each of the developments
specified in the list is incomplete to a substantial extent,

AND the Minister shall, for the purpose of so satisfying himself or herself,
have regard to all relevant circumstances.

If every thing is complete except for the street lights then it would be hard to argue that the estate is incomplete to a substantial extent. The act would not allow the minister to put such an estate on the the list.

I listened to it being explained on the radio and thought that the list of those excluded was longer than those actually going to pay it.

As per an earlier poster, I object to having to pay for a house I provided for myself while those who have housing provided by the taxpayer (as in me) do not have to pay.

And no, I don't mean sheltered housing etc. etc.

Romulan you hit the nail on the head!!

Couldn't agree more. The people who enjoy the house that the tax payer "bought" for them pay nothing, (yet again), but us poor earners have to fork out, not only for their house but also for our own that we scrimped and saved for, and are paying for each and every month for 20 years and more!!

It's fine to say its just the cost of a glass of beer but that depends on what you would have spent that €2 p.w. on and mine certainly would not go on beer. It also depends on what percentage of your weekly income that is, to someone on 188 p.w welfare that €2 is needed for other things. Fine if you're working with a reasonable wage but gross that up a percentage of your existing income, it then just comes out of your discretionary spending surplus I presume but for many many people in this country this minute there is no surplus.
i am earning 230euro a week,surely on such a wage i should not be paying the same as those on a much higher wage.

i listened to it being explained on the radio and thought that the list of those excluded was longer than those actually going to pay it.

As per an earlier poster, i object to having to pay for a house i provided for myself while those who have housing provided by the taxpayer (as in me) do not have to pay.

And no, i don't mean sheltered housing etc. Etc.

+1

I find that my heart strings are not pulled so much when my purse strings are being tugged from every angle

i am earning 230euro a week,surely on such a wage i should not be paying the same as those on a much higher wage.

I can under cut that, I'm earning €208 p.w. and living in a two up and two down and no swmming pool out the back except when we get flooded:D

Never mind being bankrupt but were also now morally bankrupt which to me is even worse.

What is the reason over LA housing being exempt?

Because this is a house owners tax and is not levied on tenants. I suppose you could make a case for the LA to pay the tax and then get it back but it wouldn't make much sense.

I am a pensioner on €230 per week and finding it difficult to make ends meet as more and more stealth taxes eat into my small income. My house, which I own after paying a mortgage for the last 25 years of my working life, is worth about €500,000. I can pay the €100, but what happens when the property tax moves to a valuation basis and I receive demands for €500 or €600? Obviously, I will not be able to pay this sort of money. I am genuinely frightened by where this tax is leading. The politicians are talking about exempting various random groups, but what about ability to pay? Once it moves to a valuation basis there MUST be a general cap on this tax based on a percentage of household income. My case is not untypical of pensioners in parts of Dublin and other areas where property values remain high.

As I understand it, this flat-rate charge is a temporary measure until some more structured and balanced property tax is brought in. The new tax will be in some way proportional to the size/value/cost of the property.

Yes, I dont think it should be be called a house hold charge rather I think it should be called the "Property Precursor Tax".

Can you remove your house from this directory and others in the same way you can remove it from Google maps ?

I doubt it. It's run by An Post.

Besides removing your address from every known database will not stop Local Authorities from finding your house.

A question (if discussed already apologies, couldnt find it). Reading the household charge website saw in the FAQ's the following below... what does this mean for affordable housing stock where clearly it is vested in a housing authority for 20yrs until clawback is fulfilled and the local authority retain an ownership stake i.e. clawback. Anyone know? Thanks.

"Residential property vested in a housing authority, including property where households are purchasing their homes under the Shared Ownership Scheme and where the local authority still retains an ownership stake"

Point 1:
Surely if there is no invoice, if they ever chase you for it, you could easily claim you were unaware of this charge, stating you don't read the news etc etc etc. Therefore avoid any fines/penalties.

Point 2:
Is stamp duty not a property tax as such to pay for local amenities?

Point 3:
Landlords have to pay this on top of the other property tax introduced last year????

Point 4:
This is a very unclear charge - as a household charge then it should be applied to households, which is definied as, A house and its occupants regarded as a unit, therefore you should only have to pay for the house you live in, not a property you may have rented to another household :)!

Point 1:
Surely if there is no invoice, if they ever chase you for it, you could easily claim you were unaware of this charge, stating you don't read the news etc etc etc. Therefore avoid any fines/penalties.

This is no defense to the tax and the penalties are huge. Ireland is a self assessment system, you have to make it your business to know what taxes you have to pay.

I can under cut that, I'm earning €208 p.w. and living in a two up and two down and no swmming pool out the back except when we get flooded:D

Never mind being bankrupt but were also now morally bankrupt which to me is even worse.
agreed,so much for hogans fairness,someone in a local authority house on 200euro a week doesnt pay property/council tax,while we on the same wage get a loan to buy a home and end up paying more tax, both for the previlege of paying for our own house and giving the government money to house some other family .

It states on the form

The Household Charge
The Household Charge is an annual charge introduced by the Local Government (Household Charge) Act 2011 which is payable by owners of residential property. It is a matter for owners of residential properties to register and pay the Household Charge on or after the 1st of January 2012. The EU/IMF Programme of Financial Support for Ireland commits the Government to the introduction of a property tax for 2012. We are one of the last countries in Europe that does not fund local services through local property-based charges. These services are essential to your community. They include: fire and emergency services; maintenance and cleaning of streets; planning and development; public parks; street lighting; libraries; open spaces and leisure amenities. These facilities benefit everyone. A property tax, requiring a comprehensive property valuation system, would take time to introduce and accordingly, to meet the requirements in the EU/IMF Programme, the Government has decided to introduce a Household Charge in 2012.The Household Charge is an interim measure only and a comprehensive and equitable valuation-based property tax will be introduced as soon as possible.

If this is not a local charge going to the council, how can the council give these services? and why shoulds private estates not get these services?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back