Opening an account with DKB bank in Germany from Ireland

Great post - one problem - it says on the form that Notary Public cannot be accepted, at the bottom of Identification pages the below where they/you sign.

It looks like the form has changed and now instead of a notary public one needs to visit a attorney or a bank.

In addition DKB will now only refund a maximum of 20€ fee for such service.

If I go to Germany without getting documents signed by Irish attorney are we sure that Deutsche Post would validate a passport if I brought in a bill? Has anyone done this successfully by anyone here?

Would prefer to avoid the lawyers fees and am already booked on a flight to Berlin.

If I go to Germany without getting documents signed by Irish attorney are we sure that Deutsche Post would validate a passport if I brought in a bill? Has anyone done this successfully by anyone here?

Would prefer to avoid the lawyers fees and am already booked on a flight to Berlin.

With your application document there should be a "PostIdent-Coupon", you need this when going to the post office. If there is no "PostIdent-Coupon" with your application documents you can't go to a post office.

The post office does not care that this is for DKB, all they care about it that you have the "PostIdent-Coupon", your valid passport and an address validation document.

They scan the barcode from the "PostIdent-Coupon", type all info into the computer and give you a document to sign. Than they send all the documents to DKB but you must ensure they also send the address valdiation document which is unsual for them as german id cards have the address printed on them and germans with passports use "Meldebescheinigung" to proof address which you don't have.

So as long as you can tell them you live outside germany and they are able to type your address into the computer and attach the address validation document (like your utility bill) to the paperwork all will be fine.

Loads of us have gone down this road and it's the normal way a person in Germany would open the account.

But remember that DKB will give you a refund up to 20€ for using an attorney and last time an attorney did a similar thing for me it was 10€.

I was reading some posts that DKB ring to ask for the reason for opening the account. Just wondering what people told them so I don;t mess up the application. I tried to open a USD account in Ireland and the bank won;t open it because they weren;t happen with my reasons for opening it, i.e the collapse of the euro is not a legitimate reason for them.. want to make sure I have no repeats..

Has something changed - tried to create an account but got a strange message:

. DKB-Cash Prüfung
Leider konnten wir Ihrem Wunsch nach einem DKB-Cash im Rahmen unserer automatischen Entscheidung nicht entsprechen. Die notwendigen Voraussetzungen für ein DKB-Cash liegen gemäß Ihren Angaben nicht vor.

Ein zweiter Antragsteller kann sich positiv auf die Entscheidung Ihres Antrages auswirken.

Which loosely translates :
DKB-cash review
Unfortunately we could not meet your desire for a DKB cash under our automatic decision. The necessary conditions for a DKB cash no are available according to your information.

A second applicant can positively affect the decision of your application.

DKB-cash review
Unfortunately we could not meet your desire for a DKB cash under our automatic decision. The necessary conditions for a DKB cash no are available according to your information.

Has something changed - tried to create an account but got a strange message:

. DKB-Cash Prüfung
Leider konnten wir Ihrem Wunsch nach einem DKB-Cash im Rahmen unserer automatischen Entscheidung nicht entsprechen. Die notwendigen Voraussetzungen für ein DKB-Cash liegen gemäß Ihren Angaben nicht vor.

Ein zweiter Antragsteller kann sich positiv auf die Entscheidung Ihres Antrages auswirken.

Which loosely translates :
DKB-cash review

DKB-cash review

It looks like the automatic scoring of your input did not meet their criteria (remember officaly this is a package product that includes an overdraft and a line of credit on the visa charge card).

Some people only get an overdraft of 100€, some up to the 1000€ limit, by reading the german text it looks like you did not meet their criteria.

I don't know what data you entered but it looks like the automatic scoring did not give you enough points for their account bundle. You simply did not meet their mininum requirements.

You could re-enter the application ensuring you fill it out correctly and if you get denied again contact them for an appeal.

Good Luck

Or maybe DKB had enough of irish applications with non german speakers and closed the door, let's see if other people get denied too. It would not surprise me.

issue solved - tried it again - the problem was the income - I put yearly income here after taxes - it actually wants Monthly income. It worked this time -

Now on to the next stage.

With your application document there should be a "PostIdent-Coupon", you need this when going to the post office. If there is no "PostIdent-Coupon" with your application documents you can't go to a post office.

The post office does not care that this is for DKB, all they care about it that you have the "PostIdent-Coupon", your valid passport and an address validation document.

They scan the barcode from the "PostIdent-Coupon", type all info into the computer and give you a document to sign. Than they send all the documents to DKB but you must ensure they also send the address valdiation document which is unsual for them as german id cards have the address printed on them and germans with passports use "Meldebescheinigung" to proof address which you don't have.

So as long as you can tell them you live outside germany and they are able to type your address into the computer and attach the address validation document (like your utility bill) to the paperwork all will be fine.

Loads of us have gone down this road and it's the normal way a person in Germany would open the account.

But remember that DKB will give you a refund up to 20€ for using an attorney and last time an attorney did a similar thing for me it was 10€.

--------

Unfortuntately this didn't work for me. I went to a Deutsche Post, presented Post Ident and asked for them to fill it out as detailed in above post.

They wanted a german address. They were older ladies and so seemed to just be sticking to the line. You know they werent quite sure. My German is ok, like I could get the idea across that I believed what I had to be enough - a utility bill as a vaildation document. But they wanted the Meldebescheinigung.

Just for anyone who makes the trip this info might be useful. I was in the old East btw. Maybe try another Deutshce Post. I didnt bother.

--------

Unfortuntately this didn't work for me. I went to a Deutsche Post, presented Post Ident and asked for them to fill it out as detailed in above post.

They wanted a german address. They were older ladies and so seemed to just be sticking to the line. You know they werent quite sure. My German is ok, like I could get the idea across that I believed what I had to be enough - a utility bill as a vaildation document. But they wanted the Meldebescheinigung.

Just for anyone who makes the trip this info might be useful. I was in the old East btw. Maybe try another Deutshce Post. I didnt bother.

I'm sorry to hear that, I had no problems doing it in a Post Office (it also was a small one), they did it without me having any discussions, in fact we only exchanged a couple of words about how the weather was.

Meldebescheinigung is only needed if you live in Germany, but if your address is outside Germany no such thing is needed. Proof of address is via the utility bill (etc.) that you attach to the application.

In fact for some coutries this is the only way DKB accepts proof of identity.

I think you just had back luck with the post office ladies.

If you try again, there is a helpline number on the form (or in the computer once they scan the barcode of the form) they can call.

I hope you did not waist a trip.

DublinTexas - DKB now offer the facility to print in pdf the required documents instead of waiting until they are sent from Germany (very hand)

Quick question - on the bottom of the Identification form it now states 'Notary Public can not ne accepted'. It states that a seal of attorney or bank stamp can be used. Can anyone offer any advice on if a seal of attorney and Notary Public are one in the same?

Also, am I correct is saying that if I use this method of sending my documentation (i.e. as an overseas resident) I do not need to complete the POSTIDENT ?

Any help apprecatied - at the last hurdle now...

You have to get a solicitors stamp, cost about 20e. You don't need to use postident when you have a solicitor stamp. Ps I did all this but got rejected for not being able to speak german. So make sure you have a few words ready, I tried using a cover letter in german and had a large sum to deposit but oh well, my own fault for doing French in school

Hello

Those that you managed to open cash account by dkb, what additional documents you sent with the application form? It is only utility bill and one bank statement necessary? What about yearly tax income statement or salary proof from company where you are employed? Must those documents be originals?

Identification

I went to a solicitor and the only way they would authenticate the documents was to notarise them, I'd then have to get them autheticated by the dept of foreign affairs.

My aplication was then rejected, was the solicitor incorrect?

I included a utility bill, the passport, notarised with the Apostille from the department, plus the application form.

It was rejected, has anyone been able to open a dkb-cash recently?

The rejection goes as follows, pity they don't say what exactly I was missing.

-----------------
sehr geehrter xxxx

bezugnehmend auf unser schreiben danken wir ihnen nochmals fur das vertrauen, das sie uns mit ihrem eröffnungsantrag entgegengebracht haben
da wir bisher die fehlenden angaben under/oder unterlagen nicht erhalten haben, ist uns die dkb-cash nich moglich und wir werden, lhr einverstandnis voraussetzend, die eingereichten unterlagen als "erledigt" zu den akten legen

Sollten sie dieser handhabe noch fragen oder anderungswunsche haben, wenden sie sich bitte direkt an deb oben genannten kundenbetreuer

-------------------

Notary is not acceptable, solicitor can and should be able to do it, i was rejected due to their business policy which presumed was I don't speak german but happy enough with barclays and abn amro ...

I am getting the feeling that DKB is now refusing to open accounts to non german speakers.

The DKB Cash account is designed for german's who live in germany or abroad and only recently was extended to Switzerland and Austria (also strong german speakers).

So they might have deceided that non german speakers are too much for them, several refences to DKB international have gone from their webpage.

I'm still having and enjoying my account, let's hope they don't deceide that they want to close existing accounts.

yes, agreed, I did send them a request in english via email and they rejected it, asked for it in german, again, two solicitors mentioned that all they could do was notarise it.

Maybe getting a bank to do it is the best option. The real issue here is holding euro in a foreign account and what would happen to it in the event of a euro break up. No one can answer this one, but it is surely best to not have all your monies within the control of 'Il Duce' himself Enda.

I successfully opened a dkb account last week. Followed Dublin Texas's original instructions (thanks for that, huge help). They called me and asked what I would use the account for, where I heard of them and to verify that I had made the application myself - I have just about enough German for that.
All the paperwork is arriving now in stages and I have successfully made my first deposit.

Ill be in Germany is a few weeks, so Im going to try to open an account also in person at a branch

Ill be in Germany is a few weeks, so Im going to try to open an account also in person at a branch

I tried to do this about two years ago. My poor leaving cert German from a few years back was not good enough for them to open an account for me though. At that point they had very very few branches, even in Berlin..... like one or two.

Back