Motor Open Driving or my own insurance which covers my accident

Monsoon

I unfortunately crashed a car with "open driving" not much damage to that car but fair bit to other car (third party).

I have "driving other vehicles" on my own insurance but am unsure which insurance I need to go through?

Is it my own insurance - I know it will only cover the third party car not the one I was driving - I could pay the damage on the car I was driving myself as damage is small or is it the "open drive" on the car I was driving?

I would prefer it to be by own as I was at fault dont want someone else losing their NCB and I do have a full bonus protection on my own insurance which is not on the open drive.
Incidently I meet all the criteria for the open drive have checked.
anyone got any idea please?

Claim on your own. Prevents the person who owns the car involved losing no claims bonus etc.

You have already admitted it was your fault so your insurance company should pay out

It's not a matter of choosing which policy. Most (but not all) insurance companies have an agreement that in cases like this where there is what's called dual indemnity (cover by two policies) that it is the driver's policy that deals with the claim. Where insurance companies are not in the agreement then it is shared 50 50. Crucially however in either case it is only the driver's bonus that is taken.

The driving other cars element is Third Party only but if your friend has comp on their policy then they can claim under that separately although there may be bonus implications here and if damage is minor might not be economic.

From your point of view just report it to your own insurance company and they will deal from there, no need for your friend to worry about their bonus.

thanks for all the help - have looked into it and done the maths and am going to try cover it myself as am afraid of the insurance going through the roof - thanks for the help

thanks for all the help - have looked into it and done the maths and am going to try cover it myself as am afraid of the insurance going through the roof - thanks for the help

Check impact on NCD before making a final decision. If your insurer offers a protected or step-back NCD it may still be better to claim. Ask the broker or underwriter to advise you.

Back