Online Photo-to-canvas recommendations?

Joe Nonety

I've some photos taken with my digital camera (10MP). I was wondering if anyone has some good experiences of using some of the online photo to canvas services, many of whom are on ebay and are about 1/3 the preice of Spectra or Aldi.
If so, I'd appreciate some recommendations.
Would a 28" by 20" canvas look OK or is there bound to be some pixelation?

I've used www.updone.com, good prices, great service, they are New York based but the product comes from China, I got 2 pics so far and had to pay VAT (no duty applicable) on oned, the other wasn't stopped by fedex in Dublin for some reason. You can track your shipment online.

I have a 5.1mp camera and got a 36" x 24" picture and it's excellent, you should not have a prob with pixelation with a 10mp camera on the size you are talking.

I have just bought some HP A3 Canvas paper costing €4 a sheet , My printer cost €348 a 6 colour photo printer, If you are just doing a one off then maybe €70 for a 40cmX30cm is ok, but the cost and pleasure of doing your own is much lower maybe consider this as an alternative.

How much are cartridge replacements for your printer and if you are printing full colour canvas, how often do they need to be replaced?

photobox.ie
v good.

V.expensive !

Photobox.ie - 80cm x 53.5 cm - €131.99 plus p&p (€11.00)

Updone.com - 80cm x 54 cm - USD 74.17 plus p&p (USD 11.87)

No brainer really (though you might have to pay VAT on arrival of 21%) still hugely cheaper than buying here !

yea - I used updone aswell - had to pay the duty but the quality was fantastic - got it as a gift for the gfriend and she has it hanging in sitting room ever since

Lauren making some rough calculations in regard to the cost of home printing opposed to using a photo lab for canvas prints, I came up with the following: approx 10, 40X30cm prints per cartridge, cost per cartridge €40 and 3 cartridges in the printer = €120 for 10 prints, hence 1 print = €12 for ink and €4 for the canvas paper, total for 1 40X30cm print doing it yourself is €16 approx. The photo labs cost for a €40X30cm print on canvas average around €70.My A3 6 colour photo printer cost €348 quality is excellent after 5 prints this size my printer has paid for itself compared to the photo labs costs, after the 5th print my cost is €16 per print a decent saving and you have control of your print set up to boot.

Lauren making some rough calculations in regard to the cost of home printing opposed to using a photo lab for canvas prints, I came up with the following: approx 10, 40X30cm prints per cartridge, cost per cartridge €40 and 3 cartridges in the printer = €120 for 10 prints, hence 1 print = €12 for ink and €4 for the canvas paper, total for 1 40X30cm print doing it yourself is €16 approx. The photo labs cost for a €40X30cm print on canvas average around €70.My A3 6 colour photo printer cost €348 quality is excellent after 5 prints this size my printer has paid for itself compared to the photo labs costs, after the 5th print my cost is €16 per print a decent saving and you have control of your print set up to boot.

excellent - i think you should start offering your printer to fellow aam'ers :)

I've used www.updone.com, good prices, great service, they are New York based but the product comes from China, I got 2 pics so far and had to pay VAT (no duty applicable) on oned, the other wasn't stopped by fedex in Dublin for some reason. You can track your shipment online.

I have a 5.1mp camera and got a 36" x 24" picture and it's excellent, you should not have a prob with pixelation with a 10mp camera on the size you are talking.
Thanks Havealaugh, That's a great website, just ordered a couple of pics, very cheap!! would you suggest to avail of the assemble yourself option??

would you suggest to avail of the assemble yourself option??

I have only ordered pre-assembled ones to be honest, I'm not sure if there is a huge price difference ?? you might just be better off paying for the pre-assembled ones to save any hassle.

Incidentally, you'll find that UPS will charge you a COD for VAT and Customs Clearance (€13.50 plus VAT), it still works out a lot cheaper when this is paid but I still think UPS are charging a lot to customs clear the pictures - €13.50 plus vat is scaldy IMO.:mad:

UPS got some cheek, but I do agree it still works out far cheaper.. Saw the same size today in spectra for 130euro, Mine came to the grand total of 40euro.. sounds to good to be true..

Reads in Sandyford do it. They are much cheaper than anywhere else I think? I'm not sure whether it can be done online...I don't know how to post the link though if you google them they should come up.
E

UPS got some cheek, but I do agree it still works out far cheaper.. Saw the same size today in spectra for 130euro, Mine came to the grand total of 40euro.. sounds to good to be true.

Well I have bought 6 pics from them at this stage and have had no issue with quality, infact I'm delighted with them.

As for UPS when I questioned this charge with updone.com, I got a reply from the actual shipper in China who subsequently checked it out with UPS and the answer was as follows -

UPS Ireland charge a Disbursement Fee of €13.50, As this is a Service provided Vat is liable, €13.50 x 21% = €2.84 Total = €16.34
The Disbursement fee is approved by the Regulator for Express Carriers (COMREG) Communications Regulator.
As a Express Carrier our primary business is Express Delivery, Unfortunately shipments from outside the EU are liable to Import Taxes (Duty / Vat) and UPS are required to make payments to Customs for all Imports in order to achieve Customs clearance in time for scheduled delivery.

So there you go !!;)

Well I have bought 6 pics from them at this stage and have had no issue with quality, infact I'm delighted with them.

As for UPS when I questioned this charge with updone.com, I got a reply from the actual shipper in China who subsequently checked it out with UPS and the answer was as follows -

UPS Ireland charge a Disbursement Fee of €13.50, As this is a Service provided Vat is liable, €13.50 x 21% = €2.84 Total = €16.34

The Disbursement fee is approved by the Regulator for Express Carriers (COMREG) Communications Regulator.

As a Express Carrier our primary business is Express Delivery, Unfortunately shipments from outside the EU are liable to Import Taxes (Duty / Vat) and UPS are required to make payments to Customs for all Imports in order to achieve Customs clearance in time for scheduled delivery.

So there you go !!;)
Just recieved my canvases from UPS today and didn't get charged a cent, I am absolutely thrilled with the quality and value for money, I assembled them myself and it was quite easy except the corners were a little tricky but I managed them. Thanks for all your help, I think you've started me on a little earner here as I really enjoy photography but It is quite difficult to make money out of it with the prices to get anything done in this country.. Pat

Just recieved my canvases from UPS today and didn't get charged a cent
Without being nosey, what was the declared value on the invoice ? less than €45 ? if so you don't get charged VAT and therefore no customs clearance charge :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Without being nosey, what was the declared value on the invoice ? less than €45 ? if so you don't get charged VAT and therefore no customs clearance charge :)
It was 47.84 USD, ah so that's why I didn't get charged. the overall amount including delivery was 70 USD

I have used xprint in dublin thier quality seems very good,and they are very helpful in the shop,the might be a bit more expensive than some american sites but you are sure of the quality you are going to get and they are fast.Here is their web adress and thier postage is free in ireland and they give you a free 12x16 print free with every canvas.www.xprintcanvas.com

Back