Online butchers

Hi
I have been Whelan's Butchers in Clonmel and would highly recommend it - 100%

I have been Whelan's

You have been Whelans what ?? Any affiliation with them as it's your first post ?
Havealaugh-thank you so much for the tip!It arrived yesterday, absolutely love it! so fresh and such good value as well! I'm telling everyone I know! One question- how do you dispose of the packaging, I'm feeling a little guilty looking at that big polystyrene box..

I have to agree on the packaging alright but unfortunately that comes with all internet purchasing the packaging is nearly always gonna be more than what you'd get in the shop. You can recycle the bubble wrap, the cooler blocks can be re-used by freezing them but I don't think the polystyrene can be recycled, that's for the regular bin :(

Just ordered a good bit of meat from sulmeat.com, hopefully it lives up to what i've read about it on this thread :) Keep ye posted !!!

Well philboy, how did you get on eh!? Or did it not arrive yet? :eek:

Totally forgot about this thread :). Yes it arrived on time and well packaged as discussed previously. Have had a second order in since then and about to put my 3rd in early next week. All of the meat was top notch and tasted very nice, a lot better than the supermarkets (goes without saying) and generally a good bit better than local butchers. The t-bone steaks weren't as nice as we get locally but i've only had them once. So i've to try them again sometime this week and hopefully they'll be better in this order. I worked out a saving of approx. €70/90 on an order of €180 so good news there.

* If it hadn't arrived by now, i'd be seriously worried, probably would have grown legs at this stage and walked here. :D

Has the price of meat (beef in particular) gone through the roof?, a friend of mine was telling me last night he did a quick scan over an order from Sulmeat in early June versus late August and for the exact same items the total bill is now around 40 euro dearer !!!!:eek: It seems as it's the beef that gone up - a lot ! Has it increased in price all over the country ??

Slightly off subject, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any farmers / butcher attending farmers markets in Dublin / Meath areas?
I enjoy buying local produce at the local markets but at this point mostly its cheese, bread, occasional organic choccies... what I haven't seen so far is meat produced.
I'm currently buying from local butcher, and enjoy that (tastier than supermarket me thinks), as they will cut the portion for you as you want/need it. But I'd be interested in seeing what else is out there.
Before anyone mentions it, the online isn't really an option as with only 2 of us, thats about 1 months meat just to get free delivery, and i'm not sure I have that much space in the freezer!
;)

Slightly off subject, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any farmers / butcher attending farmers markets in Dublin / Meath areas?
I enjoy buying local produce at the local markets but at this point mostly its cheese, bread, occasional organic choccies... what I haven't seen so far is meat produced.
I'm currently buying from local butcher, and enjoy that (tastier than supermarket me thinks), as they will cut the portion for you as you want/need it. But I'd be interested in seeing what else is out there.
Before anyone mentions it, the online isn't really an option as with only 2 of us, thats about 1 months meat just to get free delivery, and i'm not sure I have that much space in the freezer!
;)

This thread is entitled "online butchers", did you do a search of AAM for farmers markets ????:) See here for example - http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=38063&highlight=farmers+markets

Re Whelans - haven't availed of their online service but have been in their butcher's shop on several occasions. It's a lovely shop and the meat I've had is great.

Particularly like their pork chops in Greek Passion Sauce!

I think Ballybrado in Cahir have an online shop for organic beef.

Re : the polystyrene, most local dumps will allow you to recycle it there. Great if you make big purchases and still want to do your bit. In the Midlands theres a blueish coloured bag they place it in, then throw it in the skip.

With the price of beef, its gone up lots in the local butcher I buy from. I haven't bought steak or diced beef in ages because of the price increase, instead chosing a cheaper chicken fillets or lamb chops!

there is a stall on Saturday mornings at Naas Farmers Market also.

Has Naas moved to Dublin/Meath areas ? :rolleyes:

No need to be smart, just trying to be helpful to all, I had already pointed out one in Dublin(City Centre) if people care to quote the full post instead of rolling eyes in mock shock/horror/plastic sarcasm.

Naas is 10 minutes drive from Dublin and borders Meath, so for anyone looking for a farmers market in the area, it is not too much out of the way.

Sometimes the mind boggles.

One Rubber medal coming right up!

Naas is 10 minutes drive from Dublin and borders Meath

So Naas borders Meath now !:rolleyes:

Why did you copy an paste my reply to Mell61 ? When all I was doing was pointing out to her that this thread was about online butchers AND NOT farmers markets ! There are already existing threads on farmers market and that is where Mell61 should have posted. Simple really.

Has the price of meat (beef in particular) gone through the roof?, a friend of mine was telling me last night he did a quick scan over an order from Sulmeat in early June versus late August and for the exact same items the total bill is now around 40 euro dearer !!!!:eek: It seems as it's the beef that gone up - a lot ! Has it increased in price all over the country ??

I thought it was common knowledge that food commodity prices have increased significantly in 2008.

I thought it was common knowledge that food commodity prices have increased significantly in 2008.

Obviously not !!!:D

I was talking about Meat (beef) specifically.

So Naas borders Meath now !:rolleyes:

Why did you copy an paste my reply to Mell61 ? When all I was doing was pointing out to her that this thread was about online butchers AND NOT farmers markets ! There are already existing threads on farmers market and that is where Mell61 should have posted. Simple really.

Kildare borders Meath.
If the person looking for the farmers market was looking for Meath area, and lives near the border, ie, Kilcock, Summerhill, etc, Naas is not that far away.

I posted your thread by accident, I meant to post Mell 61's one.

Sincere apologies, and I hope your eyes stop rolling soon, or maybe look into it, in case it is a medical condition.

MandaC, thanks thats exactly what I was hoping to get, I'll see about checking them out in the next few weeks.

Havealaugh, as I said I did mention that the farmers markets I go to (there are 4 separate ones) close to me didn't have a butchers, hence asking the questions, so checking farmers markets is only handy if they listed what stalls are there, most have fruit / veg / cheese / jams / breads / honey, so far I didn't find any in my area that had a butchers.

Sincere apologies

Accepted :rolleyes::rolleyes: :D

Havealaugh, as I said I did mention that the farmers markets I go to (there are 4 separate ones) close to me didn't have a butchers, hence asking the questions, so checking farmers markets is only handy if they listed what stalls are there, most have fruit / veg / cheese / jams / breads / honey, so far I didn't find any in my area that had a butchers

My point is that you should post your query in the Farmers Markets thread and not in this thread as this was/is about Online butchers specifically.

I have tried James Whelan's site a few times (for beef) on recommendation from this thread and have found it a bit hit and miss. The last delivery was very disappointing quality wise, to the extent that i won't try it again. I notice there are quite a number of new online butchers springing up now in the last six months or so (since the early days of this thread!) - does anyone have any recommendations of another one I could try? Has anyone tried the market butchers site? The prices seem very reasonable.

Back