Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) -small time

Is it a habit formed because when buying a newspaper/magazine most people would do this because invariably the supplements are missing and everyone rejects that copy?

I do that too, with magazines especially. But it's because if people are browsing they'll usually take the one from the front, and I'd prefer a clean copy that loads of people hadn't handled already.....

Is it a habit formed because when buying a newspaper/magazine most people would do this because invariably the supplements are missing and everyone rejects that copy?

Yup! that's how it started, years ago. I'm the "newspaper" person at work, one of my jobs is to keep the display stocked and tidy and I am VERY meticulous about it.

However, I still go for the second copy when I pick up something to read on my teabreak.....and I put it back on top..which is probably another reason for Mel to go for the second one down!:D

I've never heard of a superstition regarding waving at magpies. Just the one for sorrow one. Why wave? Is it a country thing?

I thought tugging your forelock and saying 'I tug my forelock at thee' cancelled out the sorrow of seeing one?

I don't like the patterns on my mother's mugs so have to drink from a cup when I'm in her house.

I also can't leave the house for work until my annual bus ticket is safely in my hand. Having it in my bag is not good enough.

In the morning I have to have coffee made on water and milk boiled in a saucepan together. But can't stand this at any other time of the day.

I have CDO. Its a bit like OCD, but with the letters in the correct order, the way they should be.

I've never heard of a superstition regarding waving at magpies. Just the one for sorrow one. Why wave? Is it a country thing?

Don't know, I know a lot of peoplpe who do it. Would only apply to one magpie which is why its annoying when a second one appears just as you're waving at the first.

I cannot bear teapots pointing at me. I find a spout pointing anywhere near me to be very unnerving.

That's funny, no offence.

Apparently (according to a colleague) I'm weird because I never take the newspaper/mag from the top of the pile. I always go for at least the second one down.

I always do that too. My reasoning is that you always have the people who read the paper in the shop. They just stand there in the way of everyone having a leaf through before replacing the paper back on top. So if I'm buying a paper for full price, I want a new one, not a used one.

I can't handle seeing crisp packets opened upside down. Have been known to sellotape them up and then opened "correctly ;)

I can't handle seeing crisp packets opened upside down. Have been known to sellotape them up and then opened "correctly ;)

Sounds familiar to me :)
I realised this morning that I hate making my coffee using a spoon with a plastic handle. I'll use a large spoon if no plain metal teaspoon is available. As for the ritual around actually making it... I won't even go there!

My understanding of that one is that you are greeting the lone magpie and asking it to extend the greeting to it's mate, i.e. you're assuming that there are two magpies, not just one on it's own.

cos that would be ..

If im driving or watching tv the volume has to be on an even number, i feel weird and keep staring at the tv or radio if its not. I also have a weird thing about towels. i always have to fold hand towels after i use them, it just look wrong having they simply draped across a towel hanger !!
is that weird ?

I can't bear mixing milk. If I am having cereal or tea and I don't think there is enough milk left in the carton to service my needs, I'll open a new one and use that instead.

I have CDO. Its a bit like OCD, but with the letters in the correct order, the way they should be.

This sounds a bit like the dyslexic agnostic insomniac who lay awake all night wondering if there was a dog. ;)

I use to suffer from OCD in my late teens. I was usually the last up to bed so before I'd go up I would check that both the back and front doors were locked, all windows closed, all plugs pulled out, cooker turned off and fireguard up against fire even if it wasn't lit. After about 15 minutes lying in bed I would go back down and check everything again. I used to do this several times and it was head recking and quite distressing. How did I overcome it? I would check everything once, head up to bed and refused to go back down. After about two weeks it passed.

Now I'm not one bit superstitious and deliberately break the rules as a form of protest I guess.

As for the magpies, you're meant to salute them. What was that poem I learned when I was young? Oh yeah:

One for luck
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
and Seven for a secret that will be never told.

As for the magpies, you're meant to salute them. What was that poem I learned when I was young? Oh yeah:

One for luck
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
and Seven for a secret that will be never told.

Please tell me that its 'One for sorrow' otherwise I've waved away a lot of luck through the years!

Fear not, oh bald one. Modesty aside I consider myself something of an expert on magpies and the folklore and superstitions surrounding them. Consequently I am able to authoritively confirm that the correct rhyme is, in fact,:

One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a wedding,
Four to die,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a story never to be told.

Fear not, oh bald one. Modesty aside I consider myself something of an expert on magpies and the folklore and superstitions surrounding them. Consequently I am able to authoritively confirm that the correct rhyme is, in fact,:

One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a wedding,
Four to die,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,

That's the one I learned when I was young also.

Vanilla, just a thought. If you were going in the door of a church to attend a wedding and you saw 4 magpies, what should you expect?????

One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a wedding,
Four to die,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,

Phew.

Back