obnoxious odor of a strategicly placed ring feeder full of rotten silage: nuisance?

F

Fight Back

At wits end with obnoxious odor of a strategicly placed ring feeder full of rotten silage. What if any protection has a household from a deliberate nuisance? Appeals to this bad minded gentleman have fallen on deaf ears. We're country so please no what do you expect posts please. Anyone relate?

Re: Silage Nuisance

I believe if you contact your local county council they should be able to do something. I think it's the Environment section.

Wonder of wonders! Evil ring feeder disappeared this morning. For future referance will local authourity take action as Morguase suggests? Anyone been through the procedure?

why live in the country if the smell of silage (and presumably slurry on another day), open to the air is so obnoxious to you?
you might plant lavender/roses/nice smelling plants on your side of the wall/fense / ditch incase "evil" ring feeder arrives back later in the year.

why live in the country if the smell of silage (and presumably slurry on another day), open to the air is so obnoxious to you?
you might plant lavender/roses/nice smelling plants on your side of the wall/fense / ditch incase "evil" ring feeder arrives back later in the year.
If you read the original post carefully, you will see that this was a "deliberate nuisance". There is a difference between putting up with natural countryside/farming smells, and having someone being unpleasant.

Wonder of wonders! Evil ring feeder disappeared this morning. For future referance will local authourity take action as Morguase suggests? Anyone been through the procedure?

Yep, my parents once had to call their local authority due to silage smells in the field next door. I'm not sure if the LA just rang the farmer or called out to the area in person but since then the farmer has been very considerate.

The problem with a "deliberate nuisance" case such as the above is that it can be hard to prove. If the farmer claims that he is acting in good faith and has at least a superficially credible reason for locating the feeder where it is, he will generally get the benefit of the doubt. Dunno is there a solution here except maybe to appeal to his conscience by being as pleasant to him as possible. At the very least you will really drive him mad by being insufferably sunny and pleasant every time you meet him!

the farmer was deliberately feeding his animals... a fairly solid defence i would say. Talk to the farmer and see what they say. I agree that the case would be very hard to prove. The ring feeder is usually placed near the access gate to the field to drop in the fodder - is this the case here?
Have the animals started bawling for the missing food now that the ring feeder has been removed?, if so that could drive you stir crazy!

silage is rotten grass i think - open to correction.

Not rotten grass as such but silage is produced by storing freshly cut grass under airtight (or largely airtight) cover for a period of several months. During this time transforms from its original state to a yellowish, tightly packed mass which is ideal feeding for cattle. There isn't really such a thing as 'rotten silage' that would be capable of being fed to animals, but all silage does have a distinctive and rather strong odour. Some people might find this odour a bit objectionable but having come from a farm background myself it wouldn't really bother me.

the smell of silage open to the air should be very little, unless it is a bale that is unwrapped recently. It doesn't smell of roses hense my origional suggestion! :D

Nelly, you know as well as all of us that it hasn't rained in the past month. Good farming practice in dry conditions would be to place ring feeder at furthest point from gate so to save wear and tear around and about the gate from animals congregating at the gate. In wet conditions nearer to the gate is the norm to reduce churning by farm machinery. The area in this instance is 4 dry acres. In this scenereo are you seriously suggesting that this so called farmer is acting reasonable and neighborly by "deliberately" feeding his stock practically on top of my kitchen table? It's not as if he's short of space. Lets be honest here some farmers are reasonable some aren't. By the way have you ever noticed that none of them have a bale or as much of a pike of it in the vicinity of their on homes? Don't even try to justify this mans ignorance.

Nelly, you know as well as all of us that it hasn't rained in the past month. Good farming practice in dry conditions would be to place ring feeder at furthest point from gate so to save wear and tear around and about the gate from animals congregating at the gate. In wet conditions nearer to the gate is the norm to reduce churning by farm machinery. The area in this instance is 4 dry acres. In this scenereo are you seriously suggesting that this so called farmer is acting reasonable and neighborly by "deliberately" feeding his stock practically on top of my kitchen table? It's not as if he's short of space. Lets be honest here some farmers are reasonable some aren't. By the way have you ever noticed that none of them have a bale or as much of a pike of it in the vicinity of their on homes? Don't even try to justify this mans ignorance.

i can see one of you may indeed be unreasonable. :rolleyes:

As a point of interest Nelly, are you a farmers wife?

As a point of interest Nelly, are you a farmers wife?

I only wish i was a farmers wife, I wouldn't be living in 2 bed semi land like i am now.;)

Fightback on your writen knowledge of animal husbandry are you perhaps a farmer??
when the calves / cows are lowing (as they will be in a few months time no doubt) will you be fighting back regarding the "deliberate nuisance" noise pollution then too? if so keep us posted as to how you get on!

fightback, you're right about the positioning of the feeder for both dry and wet weather

nelly, you're just stirring

S.

nelly, you're just stirring
busted? maybe:cool:

A bit of communication wouldn't go amiss before reporting anyone to authorities, creating more bad blood and wasting the time of county council workers as this case would be very difficult to get the desired result in - ubiquitous words not mine.

OP needs to chill out and do what his right for him to enjoy his home for years to come which is to communicate with this neighbour and yes ask him nicely to shift feeder. I grew up down wind of a small piggery. Now theres a smell i would have swopped with a silage pit in a minute!

Back