obnoxious odor of a strategicly placed ring feeder full of rotten silage: nuisance?

Re: Silage Nuisance

By the way have you ever noticed that none of them have a bale or as much of a pike of it in the vicinity of their on homes?

This is a very sweeping statement. It doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny. Most Irish farmhouses are in direct proximity to farmyards, which by their nature would normally (for at least 6 months of the year) contain silage, and also (all year-round) other odorous matter such as stored slurry. You will only undermine your own position if you turn your argument against this farmer into an ill-informed anti-farmer rant.

You will only undermine your own position if you turn your argument against this farmer into an ill-informed anti-farmer rant.
I thought that happened a while back. the rant that is.

As for my nose - its fine - olifactory ok! , what one fails to recognise is that wind direction and intensity changes on this little island all the time. living down wind of a pig farm is not a problem unless the wind is blowing one way at the same time as some actions were occurring on the farm or in this case the silage is being unwrapped.
As i pointed out prior to the fairly new baled silage you had silage pits (a whole field of cut grass into a cement pit) located next to cattle sheds to be fed to housed animals in the winter next to the farmers house. Consequently you might notice sweet williams, wild roses, lavenders, herbs aka nice smelly flowers located near those houses. hense my origional non-stirring suggestion. Least i be accused of being pro-evil farming practices i wont be posting anymore in this topic.

Ubi thank you for the straightener. Your'e right about that statement being broad sweeping but it does appear that way in my particular locality. Younger farmers tend to build homes near but away from the homeplace and not in proximity to the yard. It's an observation thats all. Not an anti farming rant but I can see how you might take it up that way. Sorry about that. I'll try and give everyone including your presumptious serial poster Nelly an update and some background. The "evil" ring feeder that was "delibertly" and expertly placed has since disappeared along with the smell of what I knew to be "rotten" silage wafting through my home creating a nuisance. The gentleman has since apologised "that it was a mistake and petty". It was in responce to my lodging an objection to his attempt (he never consulted us despite generations of cooperation and peace) to build an easy feed slatted unit 20 meters from my home. The good news is the council refused his application. He will now have to reapply and site it next to his own home over a 1/4 mile away from mine. So there you have it. All is well. Perhaps Nelly will plant something sweet for him.

In Nelly's defense and a BIG lesson has been learned here for anyone who came from the towns to live in the countryside, "If you have a problem with a farmer the first course of action would be to try talking to him to sort your problem and if this fails try again", believe me you will not want them as an enemy. Fight back you are lucky to have such a nice considerate neighbor. He could have tipped dung in that field for a few year to let it rot, he could tip a load of beet or a rick of straw and then you would see how rats can breed, and he can spread slurry or blood every Friday evening at times in the year and he can fill that field with waining lambs or he could do all his work there at 6 in the morn.

Back