O2 Walks All Over Its Customers Again (Upgrade Eligibility Changed)

Jack The Lad

I'm with O2, paymonthly, and should be eligible for an upgrade about now, based on previous upgrades. My current phone is banjaxed, and I need to get a new phone. But I have been told by an O2 shop owner, and by an O2 operator that I am not eligible for an upgrade as the criteria for eligibility has changed, though neither of them knows what the new criteria is. I've seen a couple of mentions of this online in the past week, with rumours that you need to spend E1,500 before you're eligible now. For me that would take about four years.

I'm not prepared to fork out E550 for a sim-free phone when the upgrade is retailing at E200 in O2 stores right now, so I guess the only other option is to transfer to Vodafone or one of the others, and avail of their first-time user options.

Surely O2 is shooting itself in the foot with this new policy? Has anyone had a similar experience, or factual information on what the new upgrade criteria actually is?

Re: O2 Upgrade Eligibility Changed

I too was in the same position as yourself, entitled to a gold upgrade. Last Monday week O2 increased the threshold from €1700 to €5000 to qualify for an upgrade!

No notice given to customers. No satisfaction when I rang the call centre. The supervisor advised I should buy a pay as you go phone with them, keep the phone and off load the credit to a family member!!

10 years an O2 customer.

Me too.....I was a platinum upgrade, was about to upgrade but was out of the country and had to defer for a week...came back and got the same story as above ! was with o2 for 8 years and am so disgusted with this I will probably move to Meteor even if it costs me money. In cases like this it is best to vote with your feet ( or fingers in this case ).

LennyBriscoe said:
Last Monday week O2 increased the threshold from €1700 to €5000 to qualify for an upgrade!)

In cases like this it is best to vote with your feet ( or fingers in this case ).

€5,000 to qualify for an upgrade. Ridiculous. I'm walking.

Re: O2 Walks All Over It's Customers Again (Upgrade Eligibility Changed)

Just checked online, I've lost my upgrade that I was holding off using for months, so I'll be moving this weekend.

Ah. I noticed my upgrade had disappeared too. I'm out of contract, so the only thing that holds me to 02 is that most of the people I know are still on it. I'll probably change to that sim only offer, and buy my next phone somewhere else. I was hmming and haaing about an iphone, But without an upgrade an existing customer can't get one.

I was debating whether to get an iPhone. However, I just hate the fact that O2 are the only ones doing this, and really have people over a barrel with their high prices (monopoly)
Now that google have a phone, I'll be looking at this instead. If I've lost my upgrade, then I've nothing to lose changing.

(Edit: lol, lost my upgrade! :D)

There's a huge thread on O2.ie about this. People aren't happy, but vodafone will be!
[broken link removed]

I'm with 02 on speakeasy and reading some of these post's I might be heading off shortly as well to another operator.

Am with O2 for 10 years, upgraded once in that time as I liked my 6310i, lost it last week and found out no entitlement to upgrade. Moving to vodafone tomorrow.

Update = Ported profitably away from O2 this morning....and got an N95 8Gig cheaper than I would have with the O2 Platinum upgrade !
Happy bunny

Just been on to O2 to query my upgrade staus......got the spiel about the criteria being changed.Said I wasn't happy about not being told about it.....could've changed phone before upgrade "dissappeared". She said she'd send me a letter,confirming my silver upgrade & also,a 30 Euro voucher towards the new phone!! I'll wait'n'see if it arrives.....

i had problems with o2 in the past re costs and charges. Moved to Meteor and myself and mrs Burgundy are saving about 50 a month each on our bills.

They care little about customers and will lose out a lot with the latest stunt !

i had problems with o2 in the past re costs and charges. Moved to Meteor and myself and mrs Burgundy are saving about 50 a month each on our bills.

They care little about customers and will lose out a lot with the latest stunt !

Was thinking the same but from reading the forum linked above I would be concerned that the 3 main operators may be changing their upgrade eligibility...

well metoer have theirs clearly stated on their site and we got ours every 12 months no probs. ( we spend about 80 a month each )

Also the way i have my e mail set up costs me 10 euro. Someone told me cheapest way on o2 is 20 or 30 euro. Is this true ??

well metoer have theirs clearly stated on their site and we got ours every 12 months no probs. ( we spend about 80 a month each )

Also the way i have my e mail set up costs me 10 euro. Someone told me cheapest way on o2 is 20 or 30 euro. Is this true ??

I am in the same position as the original poster with meteor right now. I got an upgrade 12 months ago and 12 months before that. Now today (my upgrade due date) I am told my contract has been changed to 18 months. (without my permission)

Seems like there's a lack of communication in all networks!

Answer to Aircobra19 === Meteor with talk300...EUR149...I think the paltinum upgrade would have been 199 ( last time I could check that is )

Back