O2 Walks All Over Its Customers Again (Upgrade Eligibility Changed)

I spoke with O2 customer care yesterday and I got the feeling that they may be about to reverse these upgrade eligibility changes. I was told they have been inundated with complaints since they announced it. Let's see!

Walking past an O2 shop last night I noticed a couple of people giving the O2 staff a bit of grief about this too. I think everyone's has an issue with it. If they want to stop upgrades, then start with people signing up to new contracts, or those who've just got an upgrade. Not people due one, or in contract.

I need to change my phone too. I have been with 02 since 1995 and I phoned up to complain, they did not seem bothered. My phone bill is quite high too. The chap in the phone shop told me they are having war with 02 over this and are just advising customers to change networks if possible. I have one month left to run on my contract but am thinking of just buying it out and moving to Meteor.

I would wait out the month.

I would be loathed to pay any more than you need to.

I will be changing off 02 when the phone needs it.

I can't imagine they'll leave it like this. Just imagine all the upgrades that people would leave to christmas etc. They'll just switch network. Going to be a quiet Xmas for O2 shops.

Yep - just checked. I lost my upgrade too. So did my daughter by the way.... Im leaving 02. Ive been a customer with 02 for at least 10 years.

Nothing to be said for Loyalty, the only thing that would any way keep me is the fact I have full carry over of minutes and texts.

Most companies seem to have stopped this now.

I had too lost my upgrade but just logged in again there and the platinium upgrade I had now seems to be back.

You are entitled to a Platinum upgrade discount! Upgrade online today to get great deals including 300 free texts.

Edit:more on the next page

As a valued O2 customer, your phone number is eligible for the Platinum upgrade discount!
To upgrade your phone, simply choose a new phone, enter your delivery details and pay. If you would also like to change your price plan just call Customer Care on 1909 and they will help you.

Their only coping on now were valued customers.

Last edited:
I moved to Vodafone anyway. O2's messing, plus my broken phone, compromised me. I don't trust them any more.

... not that I exactly trust any phone company, come to think of it; but I dislike O2 more than the rest.

I just got a letter re-instating my platinum upgrade and giving me a password to allow me preferential access to a ticket line for concerts at he new O2....too late...moved to Meteor !

Mine hasn't been reinstated neither have some of my friends and colleagues that I checked with. The phone is actually used by someone else so the bills are pretty low but it hasn't been upgraded in 3 or more years now. Very annoying.

One guy reckons that this was just to prevent existing users upgrading to an iPhone, that they want all iPhone buyers to be new customers / switchers to add to their existing customer numbers given they are the only supplier in Ireland. Not that they are supplying too many to Ireland - apparently they're easier to get in Botswana of all places.

I see that 3 are running an ad campaign targeting disgruntled O2 customers that have lost their upgrades...

Interesting!
Maybe my meteor one may reappear. Stupid I was due one at 11 months but the phone wasn't there. Usually its 12 months. I lost my upgrade at 11 months and 3 weeks, two days before the phone came in.
I am thinking of cancelling my contract which I have been told I can do and signing up as a new customer. Not sure if that can be done though.

Hopefully the phone networks will learn from this, all the sales assistants I have spoken to on customer care and in stores have had a "couldn't care less" attitude. Meteor have over 1 million customers now and I signed up when they first launched the company.

I spoke to my mate who is a manager in phone shop ( not a network ) and he says he has had a lot of unhappy O2 customers in wanting to move and asking for the number for a rep for O2.

He is looking into the Meteor issue for me as we have 2 phones with them.

I spoke to my mate who is a manager in phone shop ( not a network ) and he says he has had a lot of unhappy O2 customers in wanting to move and asking for the number for a rep for O2.

He is looking into the Meteor issue for me as we have 2 phones with them.

Thats interesting. I will be keeping an eye on this as there are quite a lot of us really annoyed. (47 of us to be exact) all due upgrades this month and only 2 people got them just before the rules changed.

There was a full page ad in the Sunday Times yesterday by a competitor of O2 guaranteeing eligibility to upgrade to customers of O2 who switched to them. Sorry I wasnt paying too much attention so can't be certain but think it was meteor.

There was a full page ad in the Sunday Times yesterday by a competitor of O2 guaranteeing eligibility to upgrade to customers of O2 who switched to them. Sorry I wasnt paying too much attention so can't be certain but think it was meteor.

I think it was 3 - did it start with 'Attention O2 Customers' in very large font?

I think it was 3 - did it start with 'Attention O2 Customers' in very large font?

Yes it was three. I was hoping it was meteor so I could complain to Metoer as they are equally to blame with their changes.

I am at a loss at what to do with meteor but I think I will hang on and not cancel my account just yet as this is all going to get very interesting.

Back