ntl: to penalise non DD customers & late payers

It doesn't really require a TV programme and a letter template for people to complain. It does take a little effort on the individual's part though.

Just out of curiousity...
Why would some ppl not be able to pay by DD? Most ppl have current accounts because that's where you get payed into, from work, i would have thought? If it saves all the trouble, it might be worth opening a current account.

because direct debits mean that the company / service provider has control over when they get paid - not you.

I've worked in financial services for 13 years and have seen the hassle and misery direct debits can cause when they are processed incorrectly by the originator.
As a result I pay all my bills bar one by my own means - internet banking, post a cheque etc.

Yes, the Direct Debit Indemnity scheme means that people will be re-imbursed - but not instantly. Frequently people are left with their account in a mess / without funds because, for example, an insurance company has decided to take out the full year's premium instead of monthly instalments.

Caught the tailend of a radio conversation today that seemed to indicate that the Gov are about to pass a bill making it illegal for companies like NTL to do what they propose.Dont have any more details .Anyone have anymore details on this?

I plugged my TV in to the NTL connections when I moved into this current house, two points were there when we moved in. We haven't received any bills of yet. I was going to ring them last week to ask them to start billing us as I am in fear of them backdating bills to November when we moved in. I can't stand them from past experience I think I might go for someone else. However, just wondering does anybody know whether they know we have been 'hooked up' or what?

The onus should be on them to contact us to set up an account but I am just worried as they are so completely incompetant.

We got a letter today telling us to ring them to set up new account funnily enough so my question has been answered.

Good - paying ntl: customers like myself can do without freeloaders who might inflate the prices for the rest of us. Good to see ntl: are on the ball in this case.

no new posts, yet I get a mail saying there is a reply to a thread which I have subscribed to.

has Newo's post been deleted or is it a dream?

no new posts, yet I get a mail saying there is a reply to a thread which I have subscribed to.

has Newo's post been deleted or is it a dream?

Newo's post has been deleted - I saw at least one post where he/she defended himself/herself against the suggestion by Clubman that she was "freeloading" by pointing out she had written twice to NTL to resolve the issue.

However, at a guess I'd say there was further posts that breached the posting guidelines.

I emailed upc to say I wanted to change my payment method from dd to laser card, and they wrote back to say they had cancelled by dd arrangement and that a €3 no direct debit fee will be added to my invoice going forward.

Going forward I shall be leaving this company :mad:

As far as I'm aware you can't be charged for 'unsolicited services or goods' meaning they can only charge you for what you signed up for.

Back