NRA Block Service Stops on Motorway

15 or 18 months ago Seamus Brennan pleaded for drivers to drink tea and coffee during long journeys to help stave off tiredness and avoidable accidents. At the same time the National Safety Council organised free tea & coffee in service stations over a Bank Holiday weekend. A few months later Brennan warned us that any driver caught drinking tea or coffee while driving would get penalty points! (He didn't say if this still applied when a cupholder was being used and/or where the driver was stopped in traffic).

I know there is a subtle difference but the mixed message doesn't appear to betray much of a coherent strategy.

Inspired reason - they had the potential to confuse the sighted pedestrians. No thoight given to the visually impaired who have toRELY on these.

This is a joke right??? I didn't catch TV or radio today but please tell me this is a joke?

-Rd

daltonr said:
This is a joke right??? I didn't catch TV or radio today but please tell me this is a joke?

-Rd

What the Dublin Co Co guy actually said on the 9:00 RTE news was that in multi-crossing junctions, sighted pedestrians were getting confused i.e. (I presume) crossing when they could hear an audible signal which was for another "leg" of the crossing.

Such as the ridiculous junction on Nassau st - Dawson st, where you have two pedestrian crossings to an island, with traffic coming one way and splitting (up Nassau st towards Grafton st or heading down towards Merrion sq) but both pedestrian lights are rarely activated in sequence.

Another crash at the toll bridge this morning where someone wasnt paying attention and went into the back of someone else. If the toll bridge hadnt been there, there wouldnt have been a crash. But yet we cant have service stations because theyre dangerous. NRA? Anyone there??? helloooo?

I left work in Glasnevin at 7.30 yesterday evening and went around the motorway to just in front of Marley park just as the Coldplay concert was filling up. There were no delays at all. Personally I think the M50 is great and don't see what the fuss is about the toll bridge. I go through it between 7.05 and 7.15 every morning and 6.45 and 7.45 every evening. There's never more then a 3 minute wait. The Naas road exit causes more of a tail back. In recent weeks the Ferris wheel that can be see from the motorway has caused considerable delays with people rubbernecking as they go past.

I see in todays Indo that the final stretch of the M50 will be opened on Thursday.

Well done and thanks to the guys and gals in the NRA, the relevant Local Authorities and the various contractors and design engineers. Dont let the b***rs get you down!

ajapale

Hurray! It's finished.
Now let's get on with digging it up and putting in the 3rd lane in each direction that they've been talking about for years.

And while they're at it maybe they can straighten it out a bit so that the speed limit is what it's supposed to be on a motor way.

I am actually delighted that the last bit is finished, but let's not go overboard on praising these people. They are a long long way from deserving praise.
These are still the guys who want to toll half the country.

The recent work on the M50 is akin to providing more comfortable trollies for people who spend days in A&E, Good, but not praiseworthy.

-Rd

Rd, you should have your own column on the back page of a Sunday paper, you’re a class act!

Thanks Purple. Fell free to write to your paper of choice with that suggestion.
I was sure the Times would call me after Mr Myers's little outburst.
My ego still hasn't recovered from the shock of being overlooked.

-Rd

Back