Nonsense reports about poverty

The question is - how much income inequality is desirable?

A CEO should earn more than a worker, yes.

But how much more?

10x?

100x?

1000x?

But how much more?

10x?

100x?

1000x?
It is a bit of a misleading metric.

The distance in monetary terms to someone unable to afford a car to someone driving a standard car is smaller then the distance to someone driving a supercar. But in real terms the big difference is between having a car and not.

But how much more?

10x?

100x?

1000x?
I assume that every employee of a business, including the CEO, works and therefore every employee is a worker.

If the question is how much more than the average employee should the CEO earn then It depends on a number of factors including the size of the company, the average added value of the average employee, the ownership structure of the company etc.

I certainly don't think it's desirable that a family relying completely or mostly on long term welfare supports should have an income after housing costs of more than 50% of the median.

As 60% is the AROP threshold, that means you seem to be implying that the family should be AROP?

The AROP threshold is 38,415 for a family, or 736 per week, before housing costs

1716402364289.png

Taking a family with a parent on JSA, two children aged over 12

JSA + IQ spouse + 2x IQC over 12 + 2x Child Benefit

232 + 154 + 54 + 54 = 494 pw + 64 CB = 558

Would they qualify for any other cash welfare? I don't think so.

So they would be below the AROP threshold.

The AROP threshold is 38,415 for a family, or 736 per week, before housing costs
It's the before housing costs that's key.
View attachment 8852

Taking a family with a parent on JSA, two children aged over 12

JSA + IQ spouse + 2x IQC over 12 + 2x Child Benefit

232 + 154 + 54 + 54 = 494 pw + 64 CB = 558

Would they qualify for any other cash welfare? I don't think so.

So they would be below the AROP threshold.
If they were in receipt of HAP then they'd have an additional €500 or so a week. If they had a Council House they'd be even better off.
A single earner with two children on €80'000 a year who is paying rent in Dublin would have a lower income after housing costs.

Back