Nokia N95- experiences?

Thanks for the feedback folks. All in all it seems to top the areas that would be of interest to me.
Next thing i am looking at is the price plans available. I am currently with o2. Spend roughly 20-30 euro on credit and use my phone mainly after 6 but also during the day. I'll be checking out comreg for this but any other feedback would be appreciated!

Personally I would have updated the firmware just to get rid of the movie but that's just me. :) I was pretty sure that it charged from the USB but [broken link removed]?

That adapter seems to convert from a USB connector (from a computer) to the connector for the charger into the phone.

My previous phone, a Motorola, used its normal USB data connector to charge. This meant that so long as you had a USB cable (which I used anyway to sync with the PC at work and home), you don't have to charge it separately: it charges away by itself just by being plugged into the computer.

The Nokia on the other hand has a separate charger input, so won't charge when it's plugged into the PC through its USB connector, unless it's also plugged into the charger.

Even with the cable you referenced, you'd still need to carry two cables, one of them very non-standard.

Thumbs up to Motorola for that feature, and down to Nokia.

That adapter seems to convert from a USB connector (from a computer) to the connector for the charger into the phone.
Yes - my point was that if such a cable was available then I was probably wrong that the N95 charged from USB.
The Nokia on the other hand has a separate charger input, so won't charge when it's plugged into the PC through its USB connector, unless it's also plugged into the charger.
It will with the cable linked above if the charger is a 5V <= 500mA one since that is the power spec of a USB port.
Even with the cable you referenced, you'd still need to carry two cables, one of them very non-standard.
Nope. As long as the power connector is for an N95 and the N95 can charge on 5V and draws less than 500mA of current then it can charge from a USB port.

Clubman, I think you're missing the point.

The USB port on the Motorola is the charger input. When you have it connected to a computer to transfer data, it is also charging (if it needs it). You only need to carry one cable to do both data transfer and charging, as they're done at the same time.

This does not happen on the Nokia: to do data transfer and charging you need two cables: one for data and one as an adapter into the charger input. It just doesn't charge through the phone's USB input. Apart from the fact the USB-to-power input adapter cable isn't included with the thing, and is completely non-standard, this is not as convenient. I very rarely used the Motorola's charger: I invariably let it charge though its USB when I hooked it up to a PC. Now I'm back to having to remember to charge the thing, or to always bring the charger with me.

OK - I get your point now. I agree that charging via the same USB connector used for data transfer makes more sense and is nicer alright.

OK - I get your point now. I agree that charging via the same USB connector used for data transfer makes more sense and is nicer alright.

Yep - it's neater alright. It's only when I got the Motorola and saw this in action (charging through a completely standard data cable, that can be found anywhere) I got to think: why aren't they (high-end phones that is that connect to PCs a lot) all done that way?

Of course, fewer chances for the manufacturer to make extra cash from selling extra chargers, adaptor cables, product-unique charging kits for cars etc., but surely that can't be the reason, can it? :rolleyes:

As mentioned previously I just got my hands on a Nokia N95. Seem to be only getting about twelve hours out of the battery though...That would be after spending perhaps an hour of that on the phone...Does that sound normal? I feel like I'm always charging it!

Mine runs for (at least) three or four days, though I doubt I talk as long as an hour over that time.

Does your say ""WLAN scanning off" on the main screen? if not, try turning it off when you're not using wireless LANs, as this can make quite a difference, I believe.

Turn off 802.11 and Bluetooth if/when you don't need them. Turn the screen contrast/brightness down. Probably other tips if you Google.

Changed my N95 for the new N82(not sure if its available in Ireland yet I got it overseas)

It has all the features of the N95 but has a much better satnav with lockon times of seconds rather than minutes and much less shutter lag on the 5 MP camera which also now has xenon flash.

The best of all it costs only two thirds of the price of the N95 and dosen't have the maddening weak slider that keeps opening and unlocking the phone.

Somewhat smaller screen but with the optional voice commands it is the first phone that can usably replace a traditional sat nav.

Back