Nokia N95- experiences?

Sunster

My loyal SE k750i has finally died.
The Nokia N95 looks very appealing, albeit a bit pricey.
Does anyone here own one? what are your experiences? Is the battery as bad as other forums make it out to be?

Sorry - don't have one, but am planning to get one soon some stage... there was a good review of it in yesterday's (Thursday 30th Aug) Irish Independent (I think it was in the Business Section). Might be good if you could get your hands on it.

Hi

My bro just got one, he is impressed with the Battery life but the phone does locks up when he turns on the GPS application.. only way to get the phone back working is to remove the battery pack.:eek:

Funny - the Irish Independent review mentioned that the only real problem with the current version of the N95 is that the GPS is unsatisfactory. They were very positive about everything else.

I've read that there is a discrepancy between the official figues for the battery and the real life battery life because of all the operations. Have no plans to use a GPS but having music files and photo files are handy...plus it can sync with my imac

Just bought one last week and I love it. The camera is great and it looks and feels really slick. You get a 1 GB memory card so you can put lots of stuff on it. The only thing is that you have to be very disciplined about recharging it - the battery won't last more than a day and even less if you are using a lot of applications. Just make sure that any extra applications are closed when you are not using them and it should be ok.

Had an N70 before this and I hated it - regularly dropping calls and losing the network and locking up - haven't had any of these pronlems so far with the n95. GPS doesn't work so far but given that I'm not likely to be wandering lost ion a desert any time soon that doesn't really bother me - you can download any maps for free to the phone when you're in a wireless hotspot anyway.

Thanks for your views Gearoidmm.
Been to a few O2 shops and doesn't appear to be many in stock. From what I've heard not many have been returned either which is a decent sign. Do you carry it in your pocket? Not too big?
Funny enough I;m still not decided on which phone to get- the N95, the E65 or sony w880i. Yes all three are very different but have their own attractions. Further opinions welcome before i venture into town next week

The GPS works but you need to allow up to 3 minutes to make contact with the satellites. THe slider needs to be open and the base of the phone ie the bottom of the number keypad needs to be visible to the satellite. Obviously it wont work indoors either.

Battery life is poor compared to a regular mobile I found you need a charger at home , another in your car and another in the office. But as another poster said if you discipline yourself and get used to it its fine. Camera best in class 5 MP... in a phone!!!

Music player good.

To conserve battery life turn off gps, bluetooth and wifi when you are not using them.

Just want to Bunk this up as i am thinking of getting one soon.
i would more commonly use it for the internet, calls, texts maybe the odd application.
The GPS would also intrest me but it isnt a deal breaker.

Anyone have one of these and how do they find it?

Just got one the other day..Battery life is indeed very poor compared to other mobiles..Its easy to get used to if you have used Nokia products before..... Moving from screen to screen is a little slow I would say....It is however a nice looking phone, sound quality is very good, camera is dead handy...Very compact given the range of features...

Just got one the other day..Battery life is indeed very poor compared to other mobiles..Its easy to get used to if you have used Nokia products before..... Moving from screen to screen is a little slow I would say....It is however a nice looking phone, sound quality is very good, camera is dead handy...Very compact given the range of features...

Have you tried GPS or internet on it? what is that like?

Slow enough although I haven't played with it that much...I'm not much into internet on a mobile tho...Find it too cumbersome...

I think it's a brilliant phone. Got it as a competition prize last year and have been using it ever since. Good quality display screen (for photos etc).

Battery life is shorter than my previous Nokia phones, but I normally get 2-3 days of average use from it. However, I don't use it for extended periods on it's own. Now, I recharge it every night.

The screen is OK for internet use (when reading text), but obviously doing any significant amount of typing is slow. I find it great for a few things in particular (when away from my PC) :

Checking email, reading news/weather, real-time DART (there's a mobile version available) and airport flight departures/arrivals. I've downloaded Opera Mini, and find it better for some websites.

I have found the GPS works very well, but you need to be outdoors or by a window. I have downloaded a few of the maps, and they appear accurate. I haven't used it as a SatNav replacement, and am not sure how well it would work for this. However, it's great for showing you where you are on a map if you're lost !!

I also use the Radio, Mp3 Player and sync to Outlook. So I only have one gadget to carry. It has replaced my pocket radio and pocket PC.

I got one a couple of months back. It's the first "high-end" phone I've had (went from Nokia to Motorola and now back to Nokia with this one).

Battery is OK (I get at least two to three days), but I keep WiFi turned off, unless I'm actually using it (this makes a big difference aparently).

Plus points: excellent camera (just a handy thing to have), basic phone features fine, more features than you can shake a stick at (if you can figure out how to use them), Web browsing is surprisingly good, given the screen size (you have to get used to scrolling around). GPS is great to have (but see below). USB or bletooth sync with a PC is excellent (my main reason for getting this one, apart from the camera).

Minus points: it has locked up on me once (a battery removal job), it doesn't charge through the USB port (unlike Motorola: this is a really handy feature, as I used to plug the Motorola into work PC and leave it all day charging), it's a bit bulky (but not too bad). The GPS can take a **long** time to sync up and has a major design flaw in that it doesn't know the phone's orientation (think about that one: you're looking at a map and can't figure out which way you're facing): I see the GPS as something that may be handy on occasion, I certainly wouldn't want to depend on it.

Although I work in technology, I'm a real techo-phobe with personal stuff, so I was a bit wary about getting it. However, I've been pleasantly surprised with the various features, and how useful they can be in practice.

All in all, a thumbs up!

Battery is OK (I get at least two to three days), but I keep WiFi turned off, unless I'm actually using it (this makes a big difference aparently).
I've heard/read about the poor battery life allegations but both colleagues did their own battery drain tests by keeping all wireless options on and the devices going a lot of the time to see how they performed and were getting very good battery lifetime on them.
Minus points: it has locked up on me once (a battery removal job)
Did you ensure to update to the latest firmware in case this helps? If you got one with the "free" Spider-Man movie then updating the firmware may lock this out due to its DRM cofiguration...
it doesn't charge through the USB port
I thought that it did!?

Did you ensure to update to the latest firmware in case this helps? If you got one with the "free" Spider-Man movie then updating the firmware may lock this out due to its DRM cofiguration...

Funny you should mention that...

I should have said it locked up once after I updated it: a couple of times before. And yes, I had Spiderman, and yes it disapeared on me after the upgrade. It had warned to backup before hand, which I ignored as I'd nothing of value I'd put on it. Little did I think it would wipe its one and only film (not that I'd fancy watching it on a phone, though the two minutes I did watch did look kind of cool). By the way, the main reason I updated the software was because it somehow lost the ability to pair with Bluetooth devices. I didn't bother mentioning this as I'd heard that current phones have these problems sorted.

I thought that it did!?

It doesn't say it's charging, so I'd assumed not. I'm fairly sure it doesn't, though.

Personally I would have updated the firmware just to get rid of the movie but that's just me. :) I was pretty sure that it charged from the USB but [broken link removed]?

Back