Nice Co. Kerry Hotels

oblib

Hi,

My one year anniversary is coming up in April and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for nice hotels in Kerry. I think my preference would lie in anything that is NOT in Killarney perhaps on a lake or coast. Although some of the amenaties would be nice - I really think my wife and I would really like to just 'get away from it all' for once.

I've visted ireland.ie but its hard to know based soley on the descriptions & stated location besides the fact I'm only living here in Ireland (Cork) for about the last six months anyway.

Thanks!

Hi, I stayed in the Brandon in Tralee a few years ago and loved it - a touch of old-style charm in a world of McHotels!

Hi oblib,
You should check out They have independent reviews there from peolple who have actually stayed there. The Brandon as mentioned is ok but may not necessarily be what you are looking for i.e. its in the middle of a busy town. There are some lovely (and expensive) hotels in Kenmare that might fit the bill. Also you could look at Dingle or the outskirts of Tralee.

The outside of the hotel is not aesthetically pleasing - lots of concrete and glass. But, it's a different world inside. The panoramic view of the lake is spectacular. The Aghadoe Heights is gorgeous.

If you can't afford to book the penthouse :))) book a lake-view room. The hotel has very good mid-week offers. The Aveda Spa is divine. I can't wait to go back.

Marion

Hi there.

The best recommendation I could give you - based on plenty of experience - is Lake Hotel. It is located about one mile from the town centre but is built on the lake shore. It is a real old world style of hotel and is fabulously quaint yet full of all the mod cons you wouold expect.

Let me assure you, I have no connection whatsoever with the hotel. I have stayed there and have dined there on several occasions so the only connection I have is my custom.

It is not one of those huge hotels that you associate Killarney with so you know that the service you get os very one to one.

Pricewise, they are very reasonable. If you check out the classifieds in the Indo, you will see some of their deals.

On the whole, Killarney is a great town. I lived there for 9 years and loved every minute of it. Some great pubs and restaurants also if you want to venture out of the hotel for an evening.

Have a great time.

Parknasilla is lovely. Would recommend it for 'getting away from it all'. I wouldn't recommend the Park in Kenmare - though it's 5 star I think they're trading on past glory. The accomodation (tired & worn) and food are certainly not 5 star, yet the prices are. I think they rely on the US market, and Irish faithfuls. I have heard that the Aghadoe Heights is a great experience, and look forward to trying it out.
Best of luck in the search. Would definitely look at Tripadvisor reviews if I were you.

I would have to second the lake hotel in Killarney, also I have stayed in the great southern in parknasilla ( bertie stays there) it is lovely ,However it is under new management and I have not heard if is still as good. The dingle skellig is also alovely hotel on the outskirts of dingle, overall the lake hotel offers very good value for money early in the season as there is lots of top class competition in Killarney and they are always trying to fill rooms. Killarney is a great place off season, Kenmare is lovely but off season lots of places are closed down and it does take from the experience.

Lake hotel has a lovely setting, but the hotel itself is dated and worn. Food would be your two veg, meat and spuds variety. Not a romantic getaway I would have thought. Aghadoe Heights is very very upmarket and luxurious (although not snobby)- but you will need a car. Hotel Europe is also outside Killarney, you will need a car, but also upmarket. Dunloe well outside Killarney, definitely need a car, nice but dare I say, a little snobby? Maybe just my experience. Not open all year round either so you would need to check ahead. The Great Southern in Killarney has gorgeous rooms ( very romantic ) and a hell of a facade for that grand entrance and is right in the middle of town- nice hotel. All of these are in Killarney in any case though.

Sorry in advance but I don't think a single hotel in Tralee would qualify for a romantic get away break. A break away with the kids would be great here as theres plenty to do in the town and surrounds.

Theres a really nice B&B in Dingle- Bamburys- that I would recommend. Dingle itself is the right size for a romantic getaway- plenty of scenic walks, gallerys, nice restaurants, friendly people, good pubs and good pub grub.

I like the [broken link removed]. Its a lovely modern little hotel with very friendly staff.

I would recommend Carrig Country House on Caragh Lake.

Stayed there once and it was absolutely beautiful. The setting is amazing on the shores of the lake and the food is fantastic.

www.carrighouse.com

Don't write off Killarney. Try the Killarney Park Hotel, right inside in the middle of town, very secluded, a real touch of class, not cheap, but very special with incredible service and food to die for. My favourite place. Happy Anniversary in advance.

Stayed in the Brandon for a night about year or two ago - nothing about it impressed me. Try the Great Southern Parknasilla - off the beaten track on the coast, lots of old world charm. Very romantic - I'd recommend the clay pigeon shooting

Thanks everyone -- sorry I disappeard for a few days but I think after that I'm gonna have a good look the Aghadoe Heights or Lake Hotel. Really, I think this is one time where I can't get away with 'budget' or I will never live it down the rest my life.

Re lake hotel, request a lakeview suite. You'll get balcony, jacuzzi, 4 poster bed. Its been awhile since I was there but I always thought it was a relaxing get away. view is second to none

Back