Nice Bottle of wine??

MandaC,

tell your other half to get down to the Cote D'Azur. He'll find that most of the wine sold there is rose.

BillK said:
MandaC,

tell your other half to get down to the Cote D'Azur. He'll find that most of the wine sold there is rose.
To les Allemands, maybe?

'Blush'/Rosé drinkers deserve what they get, à mon (humble) avis...

Its the same in spain - I cant get over how popular Lambrusco Rosso is!
When I go out to dinner, I definitely see more Rose, than Red/White.
I'd understand if it was to acompany a light lunch, but to me it seems strange to drink it with steak/chorizo/stew etc.

Read somewhere that Navarra, Nthrn Spain is the place for Rose - easy drinking stuff.

For red its hard to beat Fleurie - finger lickin good (though why you'd get wine on your fingers I just dont know:) ). Lidl Chianti is drinkable for a pleb like myself.

I'm with clubman. I always suspected it, but I sam some "Wine Expert" on TV giving it loads, and was presented with some really expensive top drawer wines & some lowly ones and he was put to the sword. He was well able to talk about them after he had read the label and to be fair could tell a certain amount by the taste & smell, but could not value them for love nor money.

I will never desert you Arthur........

If you just want to experiment and try a variety of rose wines, give the Boschendal blanc de noir a try, although I suppose a blanc de noir is technically not a rose. I can't remember now what the difference is.

Yes, 'blanc de noir is a rose'. It is a wine made using red grapes, but the skin is only left in contact with the must for a very short space of time, so that wine takes on a slight 'rose' colour instead of being red.

As for nice roses, I hear Blossom Hill is nice...

ragazza said:
Yes, 'blanc de noir is a rose'. It is a wine made using red grapes, but the skin is only left in contact with the must for a very short space of time, so that wine takes on a slight 'rose' colour instead of being red.
This has been bugging me, so I took the trouble to look it up. I could remember there was a difference between the two, but not what it was. Rose is made by leaving the skins in for 24 to 36 hours. Blanc de noir is a white wine made from red grapes, and the skins are not left in at all.

I was told in a winery down in the Cape that the contact time of the red grape skins is very short as Ragazza said.

Back