Nice Bottle of wine??

Sarah

Hi all,

Does anyone know the name of a nice bottle or Rose Wine. Went for a meal about a month ago(Itallian) and they had the nicest bottle of rose i have ever tasted. This resturant is not local so cant go back to ask them and have been searching ever since!!! Someone said to me that Lidl do a lovely rose wine but she cant remember the name of that either! Anyone help me out?

Not much of a rose drinker, and wouldn't touch anything Lidl or Aldi, or anyone for that matter flogs for around a fiver. At those prices, the contents of the bottle can only be worth a few cent. Remember, the excise on wine is €2.05 per bottle, this is regardless of whether the wine in question is €5 bottle from Lidl or a €300 vintage Latour.

Then consider the price of the bottle (up to a Euro), the labels, transport, marketing, and of course VAT on all that, and that doesn't leave much for the product of what is (when done correctly) a labour intensive industry.

Not really answering your question here, so Marques de Riscal do a nice rose.
Leo

It could be Rose D'anJou which is a line in Lidl and Aldi which is OK ish, the most famous is the Matheas Rose wine from Portugal , which is a little to sweet for me but each to their own. Rose wine came from the French region of Anjou & Saumur . But if it suits your pallete well then it may be the wine for you , you could also try some of the new world Zinfandel rose wines , me thinks Ernest and Julio does a version.
To be honest buying wine on price alone is a no no , whether it cheap or overpriced. Generally in Ireland most wines are overpriced for what they are compared to our european pals , as much as 100%. There are some great wines from around 10€ upwards but have to agree that anything around a 5€ is usually rubbish. Unless you just want to get trollied then go for a nice Chateau la LCL XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Sorry, Friday afternoon , perhaps she will find something that will light up her gustation over the weekend and hopefully not end up like me after drinking WKD , Shots and have a bottle of Blue Stratos just to set me up for the weekend.

By the way a good tip for Rose wine is to add a nice Strawberry into the glass , let it settle and absorb each others flavour , when you have finished the glass of wine taste the fruit at the end it will be most bodacious.

Lovely picture of Sarah, gustation alight after downing her pallet of rose :)

Hi again

Well i think i may have a problem as yes i found a lovely bottle of wine..typically i cant remember the name but it was €17 In tescos Off licence. Brought it to the house warming i was at. However after two bottles and wandering around at 7 on Sunday morning in my friends new estate trying to find my way home and seriously considering scaling a 7 foot wall in my inhebrated state i have come to the conclusion that wine(or at least two bottles of it) is not my prefered tipple and thinking ill stick to the Satz! The strawberry thing sounds interesting and maybe is i can ever stomach drinking again ill give it a try. Thanks for the replies as usual guys! Im off to find some Galviscon and a family pack of Solphadine!Forgive the spelling errors, im lucky i can see straight at the moment!

Sarah said:
However after two bottles and wandering around at 7 on Sunday morning in my friends new estate trying to find my way home and seriously considering scaling a 7 foot wall in my inhebrated state ...
Ah - you should have said that you were a connoisseur! :D

Don't worry about scaling 7 foot walls when you're drunk. You'll be ok. I did it before and fell off, and was fine. I'm sure if I'd been sober I would have broken something.

Yes. The BOFH has detailed some strange effects that inebriation has on physics and our immediate environment:
"Yeah, you know, you decide to walk home from the pub and get there in just under 10 minutes - drunk time. Meanwhile the rest of the household who LEFT THE PUB AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME BUT GOT IN A CAB have been tucked up in bed for the last three hours."

An up-market alternative would be a sparkling burgandy called 'Geizweiller' which I rarely find but Bottoms Up branches in UK sometimes stock it. Its a beaut!

Beringer Zinfendel Blush is yummy! ABout €10 a bottle I think.
Can be tricky to get a hold of.

See if you can get hold of a South African wine called Van Loveren (?) Blanc de Noir. We can get it here in UK at £3.99 a bottle and it is superb.
We started drinking it when we lived in Swaziland some years ago and were delighted to find it over here.
My brother-in-law, who is a wine buff in a big way, describes it as a "seriously good wine".

I'm a red person myself (Rosemount Estate or Lindemans Bin 45) but I have had numerous bottles of Blossom Hill Zinfadel over the past few months and it is delish.

I love the Spanish Rose (Gran Feudo) which is stocked in Dunnes/Superquinn, etc.

My other half goes mad when I bring home Rose or Zinfandel, he says it is an insult to wine and calls it "pink plonk". I have to say I usually have a rotten hangover after it.

The Gran Feudo is a nice one for sipping out the back garden at a BBQ. Roll on summer time.

i know how you feel. we got married in st. lucia in the carribbean last november and we got the name of the wine that we fell in love with but we cant get it anywhere in ireland. It was called Lazo and it was a chilean red. If anyone knows where to get it let me know please!!

Back