NIB 's new Internet Banking service

Am I the only person who cannot get into the new system??Got my new PIN a few weeks ago but can't download the new safekey progaramme. Have spent hours trying and keep getting a message to say that the file has been corrupted.Have been on to customer service 4 times which has cost a fortune in mobile charges because I have to be on-line at the same time - and getting no-where fast. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

€0.23 fee on paying utility bills

NIB have just confirmed to me that €0.23 fee now applies to paying any utility bills online with NIB online banking, regardless of whether you have a FreeBank account or not (and btw, FreeBank accounts are no longer available) A fee of €0.50 applies if you pay at the counter at NIB. This was described to me as bank commission. I'm off to find a new bank... again!

Does this mean, coolaboola, that each monthly or bi-montly standing order will also attract a E0.23 fee per transaction - even with "free" banking!!!!

Charging for paying utility bills online from a 'free' account is absolutely ridiculous. Their [broken link removed] describes this lunacy as an ancillary charge:
What are ancillary charges? These are charges incurred outside normal transactional items on all accounts and are applied at the time the service is provided. Such charges would include for example buying a foreign draft or paying a bill.
Paying a bill is hardly an abnormal transaction! Interestingly, the listings in their brochure for ancillary charges don't match the 23c posters above have noticed on their accounts:
Third Party Giro /Bill Payment -
..............processed at branch €0.75
Third Party Giro (no mention of bill payment) -
..............processed via self service channel €0.50

Re: NIB Internet banking - can't access post 18Apr?

beetlebum said:
Bluebean, you can only use it one computer because of the file you downloaded when you put in the temperary PIN.

I'd imagine if you were to copy this file, has the same name as your customer number, and just paste into the same place on your computer at home, it would allow you to use both computers.

Also you cant access transactions before this weekend, they warned us about it a couple of weeks ago. sorry.

Hi Beetlebum.
The problem is the little id file that is created when you first log on. The simplest fix is to attach it to an email and send it yourself. Then, whenever, and wherever you are - detach the file. I don't think you need to worry about software installation, just browse for the litle *.mst file when logging on.

A little bit of a pain, but then the site does offer a lot of handy features like being able to rename the acc names to ones that mean something to you, make handy bill payments ( i think the freebank seems to have a glitch on the site - 23c charge??).

A thing to watch is that if you're like me and have more than one acc in more than one branch, then you may find that you "lose" an account on migration to the new system. this is because they have set them up as two separate customers. Just send them a mail. I lost 2 accounts, which I sent a mail to them and got a reply following day - although not fixed yet! Probably thousands like this..

SpatenMan said:
I like the Pending entries on the current account statement. This is definitely an improvement on the old service.:)
And making a cross border payment is very easy as long as you know the IBAN and Swift. (But note the penalty charge if you get the IBAN wrong!)

You can also choose to go paperless on the quarterly statements and receive them electronically.:cool:
Hi Spatenman,
watch that your NIB IBAN has changed - now has DABEIE2D rather than NIBKIE2D - again part of the "let's change everything overnight" bit

SpatenMan said:
I like the Pending entries on the current account statement. This is definitely an improvement on the old service.:)
And making a cross border payment is very easy as long as you know the IBAN and Swift. (But note the penalty charge if you get the IBAN wrong!)

You can also choose to go paperless on the quarterly statements and receive them electronically.:cool:

Hmmm...

1. The pending entry for my next mortgage payment is incorrect. Since January, I've been 'overpaying', and making fortnightly payments, yet what shows as pending is the old minimum monthly payment. I'll be watching that one closely, since the system won't let me edit it...

2. Under EU law, ordinary Euro transfers of <€50,000 to any bank within the Eurozone must be charged at the same rate as 'domestic' transfers (previously €0.50), once you supply the IBAN and BIC/Swift codes. Now NIB proposes to charge me €4.74 to transfer sums 'up to €6,000' online..?

3. Why would NIB expect me to forego my (free) monthly paper statements — duplicate copies of which are now charged at €6 — in favour of paperless quarterly statements?

I'll let them ride out their teething problems, but I can't see how they can expect to continue to call this a 'Freebank' account... :rolleyes:

DrMoriarty said:
Hmmm...

2. Under EU law, ordinary Euro transfers of <€50,000 to any bank within the Eurozone must be charged at the same rate as 'domestic' transfers (previously €0.50), once you supply the IBAN and BIC/Swift codes. Now NIB proposes to charge me €4.74 to transfer sums 'up to €6,000' online..?

3. Why would NIB expect me to forego my (free) monthly paper statements — duplicate copies of which are now charged at €6 — in favour of paperless quarterly statements?
2 - I would agree with your reading on eur transfers. Looking at the website, the wording could have been better, cos If you look, the charge of 4.74 actually includes foreign currency payments, not clear at all. teething problems - more like root canal work, but my guess is that it'll all settle down in the end.

On 3 - should be still getting paper one anyway? If you're like me, and watch the net banking like a hawk, then the paper one is just a big pile of paper gathering dust anyway.. the duplicate copy charge being for re-issue not a second one in addition to electronic.

Two positives for the new NIB system;

1) The text message facility works - I set up an alert for any credits over €1k, and the text message arrived at 7.15 am this morning from a Danish number telling me the amount of the deposit that hit my account. My only slight quibble was that the text message didn't include any description/source of the transaction.

2) The credit card transaction list shows the name of the actual outlet (unlike the old NIB system).

Bluebean said:
I can't seem to get a list of my transactions, only a balance of what is in the account - what am I doing wrong? Also, I logged on for the first time in work, so downloaded the software and used the temporary PIN number etc. Now I want to use it from home, but its telling me that I can't and that I may need to order another temporary PIN - anyone know what thats about?
Why couldn't they just leave it alone, instead of confusing us all?!

Agree with you. I originally logged on from work then went to access my account from home last night and couldn't because I have to wait to download the software from work PC next Tuesday :( Not impressed.

Also, they had not spelled my name correctly on the online service so had to phone them. Minor problem I know, but annoying nonetheless. Also, some of the contact phone numbers listed online don't work....I think any number beginning 484 is a dud.

In general, not very impressed with NIB. Have been with them for about 10 years. Applied for a loan recently (small mortgage) and there was no good reason from them to delay, but they did. They wanted more and more and more info...In the end I put a halt to them before they requested a limb :rolleyes: Went to ICS and got the loan approval very quickly. They were a lot more accommodating. I shall be moving lock stock barrel (and all limbs intact!) from NIB over the next few months. And they were making a small fortune out of me. So silly of them!!

Rant over :)

Two things about the new system.........

1. I can't seem to access any current account transactions prior to mid-April. Is this the same for the rest of you?

2. On the old system I had my current account, deposit account and credit card account. When I first logged on to the new system, the credit card account (VISA) had disappeared. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius - you need to ping them a mail saying that you are missing an account/credit card. Should get a mail back following day to say its in hand. Mind you, I think that there are a hell of a lot of people (me included) who are in the same boat. All about whether you ever opened the account/card in a different branch to the other accounts, or if they are joint, or if it was raining on the day you opened it etc etc. Just one of the technical issues that seems to have come out of the big bang change of easter weekend.

My first impression of the new system was good. The technical support was very helpful. They issue me with an ActivCard that arrived promptly from Denmark. It reminds me of the system BOI originally used for online banking. NIB assured me on the phone I would be able to do everything I could before and more. I got the e-safekey to work in Firefox using the IE Tab extension. This will only work on Windows systems.

Having problems with the new ebanking. Had to ring the bank to get Activcard as i use Firefox. The bank should know that Explorer does not have a complete monopoly. When I tried to log on this evening I got a technical error message and told to contact helpdesk. They are shut till Monday. Not impressed with this whole carry on. To top it all I orderd cheques two weeks ago and no sign of them. If they don't sort this out on Monday I'm off to TSB.

See below for text of email sent to manager of my NIB branch today;

I have been an NIB College Green customer for around 10 years now, and I have spent much of that time extolling the virtues of your services (particularly the Freebank account and the old Internet banking platform) to friends and family. With the changeover to the new Danske Bank platform, I wasn’t hugely surprised that there were few teething problems, and when my €6k payment to American Express went missing (because I now have to key in the reference number every month instead of this being taken from the payee details), I took a deep breath and didn’t explode. [For the record, Amex found the payment and allocated it to my account].

However, the more recent problem I have had with a regular transfer of a fixed amount (monthly payment to NTL) and in particular the response from your various customer services teams to this incident has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth regarding NIB. But first, can I ask you why you have now made it so difficult for me to speak to a human being in your branches? Note that I’m not a technophobe by any means. I’m a fairly advance user of internet banking and occasionally telephone banking. So on those few rare occasions when I need to speak to a human, it is very frustrating that I am not able to do so. When I try to get through to my personal banking manager [name deleted], her direct line frequently goes unanswered and there is no voicemail facility. There is not much point in assigning personal banking managers if I’m not able to get in touch. When I ring the listed phone number for the branch, I get through to a call centre. On more than one occasion, the call centre has been unable to get through to the branch, so I’m left again passing messages into the black hole of NIB customer service which, more often than not, elicit no response at all.

But to get back to my current problem – this related to a fixed regular payment from me to NTL of €19.99 on the 3rd of every month. The May payment (the first one after your changeover) worked correctly and included my NTL reference number on the payment. However, for the June & July payments, your system failed to include my NTL customer account number on the transaction. Just to be clear, these are automated transactions with no manual intervention from me, so it is NOT a case that I failed to enter the right reference number myself. So I’m down twenty euro, and NTL are threatening to cut off service for non-receipt of payments. When my NTL statement failed to show the June payment, I started my saga of chasing down NIB to get this problem resolved.

Firstly, I submitted a query on 24th June by ‘secure mail’ on the eBanking platform explaining this problem. The system automatically addressed this email to [name deleted]. I have had no response from [name deleted]as yet.

Last week, I managed to get through to [name deleted]at your branch (I had to push hard with your call centre personnel to get through to someone at the branch) and explained the problem. Orla reviewed the relevant transactions, and informed me that the audit trail shows that the NTL payee details were amended by ‘system’ just after the June payment was made. This leads me to believe that somebody at NIB was aware of this problem, but no-one bothered to communicate with me, the customer. [name deleted]assured me that everything would go through correctly for the July payment. However, when I now review the July payment on eBanking, I find that the reference number on the transaction is NOT my NTL account number, so your systems have repeated the error for the 2nd month in a row.

So here’s what I expect NIB to do;

1) Contact NTL directly and ensure that the June & July payments are allocated to my NTL account (number xxxxx, name [name deleted]). I really don’t have time to be chasing NTL to clean up after your messes.

2) Find out what caused the original problem, and get it fixed before my next payment in early August. If for whatever reason, you cannot fix the problem in time, I expect NIB to make whatever manual adjustments are necessary to ensure that I don’t have to worry about my NTL payments.

3) Find out who knew about the problem in June (presumably, whoever made the manual adjustment to the NTL payee details which [name deleted]described) and find out why they failed to communicate with your customers on this issue.

I look forward to hearing that you are taking ownership of this problem and that I can stop worrying about my NTL service now. I also look forward to hearing what steps you’ll be taking to make it easier for me to deal with NIB in future. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get back to making personal recommendations for NIB in future.

I opened a current account with NIB specifically to avail of their online swift transfers. When I finally used it last weekend to transfer money to an Irish bank account I found their website bizarre.

The account number field holds the Sort Code and Account Number but I found no information or help to tell me this - guessed based on a screenshot in their demo which looked like it contained a sort code prefixing the account number. Not exactly comforting transferring money by guesswork. Do they supply detailed instructions anywhere on using the system?

The account number field holds the Sort Code and Account Number but I found no information or help to tell me this - guessed based on a screenshot in their demo which looked like it contained a sort code prefixing the account number.

The field in question is labelled IBAN (Account number), which means you need the International Bank Account Number of the A/C you're sending to. For UK & Ireland the first 4 characters are the SWIFT code, then 6 digit sortcode and 8 digit account number. The link below gives layouts for other countries:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bank_Account_Number

Last edited:
The field in question is labelled IBAN (Account number), which means you need the International Bank Account Number of the A/C you're sending to. For UK & Ireland the first 4 characters are the SWIFT code, then 6 digit sortcode and 8 digit account number. The link below gives layouts for other countries:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bank_Account_Number

Sorry, I meant their screens for transfers in Ireland rather than their international transfers screen. You add a payee and then transfer the money. I didn't find it remotely intuitive and lacking in documentation.
I think I got the Swift transfer away ok as it was a bit clearer needing the BIC & IBAN.

Back