NIB 's new Internet Banking service

paddyodoors

Does anyone have NIB internet banking? They changed over seemingly to a new system today (as mentioned in another post) however I can no longer log on to my account.

I didn't receive any new details re this in the post as far as I can remember (so not in the last month then). Tried calling CS but I was told by automated massage "the current wait will be long". To the point at least and 1 point for honesty.

anyone else got this problem, or am I missing something simple?

thanks

Re: NIB Internet banking - can't access post 18Apr?

they have been changing over all weekend, i think you need to wait for some activa card or something ( think it will be like what rabodirect use).

I already have a PIN for this but still haven't received the electronic card.

hopefully will get it soon

You can log in once you get the pin.

it seems you need to use feckin internet explorer, it wont work with firefox, it kept asking me about some activacard thing!!

I got the PIN weeks ago and I was able to log in successfully using IE (and not Firefox as Beetlebum points out) tonight. The only glitch I noticed tonight was that it quotes a fee of 23c when confirming the details of 3rd party payments even though I've never paid such fees on my Freebank account. I've emailed them for confirmation that no such fee applies.

My first reaction is that the new system seems to be unnecessarily complex. It has both an email facility and a secure messaging facility - I've no idea what the difference is?

I agree that it seems unecessarily complex and I forsee problems when trying to use some of this stuff from a work PC since you have to download software to your PC. This also means that it is awkward when you want to login from other PC's. (a reason I left Ulster Bank previously)

Anyway, they have 2 methods to log on - the eSecure thing and ActivCard.
eSecure works on IE and ActivCard works on IE, Firefox and Mac. The default is eSecure. you can read more about these on the website.

Rainyday - Per the PDF file in this post from Marco http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=26690
it would seem that existing Freebank a/c charges do not change. However new customers can no longer get a Freebank account.

Finally managed to get on it this lunchtime - having to use IE is a pain in the neck. Am very unimpressed by the site - the complexity is overwhelming....couldn't manage to access history of my mortgage payments, for example. I guess I'll get my mind around it eventually but it's hardly the transformation in banking it promised itself to be.

RainyDay said:
I got the PIN weeks ago and I was able to log in successfully using IE (and not Firefox as Beetlebum points out) tonight. The only glitch I noticed tonight was that it quotes a fee of 23c when confirming the details of 3rd party payments even though I've never paid such fees on my Freebank account. I've emailed them for confirmation that no such fee applies.

My first reaction is that the new system seems to be unnecessarily complex. It has both an email facility and a secure messaging facility - I've no idea what the difference is?

Actually I've noticed something similar on my own Freebank account - in fairness to them they did send me out a pile of documents on changes a while ago but they were incredibly tedious to read. I think it might be that they are showing the charge and then will credit it off at the end of the 3 month fee period.

Secondly I've also noticed that they advertise their standard VISA card rate as now being 10.2% but I still see my own card as being 14.9% I'm sure the problems are just teething as accounts were transferred over.

Can the rest of you see your Visa account through the new system ? I can only see the current account and the mortgage account.

Please, please, please don't tell me that we've lost the facility to set up recurring transfers (i.e. standing orders). It looks like SOs which have already been set up are still there, and are showing as 'pending' transactions. But if I go to set up a new transfer, it looks like I can only set up a once-off transfer - not a recurring one. This would be a very retrograde step.

armaghgal said:
Can the rest of you see your Visa account through the new system ? I can only see the current account and the mortgage account.

Yes - I can see my Visa account AND my old, closed Visa account which I called them last year to have removed from the old Internet banking facility.

Hi All

Turns out, on checking, that I did receive that pin code - and I logged in fairly simply this morning - actually I am pretty impressed, thought from the comments here it was gonna be horrendous, low expectations always help :)

On first impressions, I thinks its user friendly and has good functionality - the share dealing service is very intriging - says trade from €20, this could be very competetive. Also the information section is very good - can build a profile of securities. However there is no mention of monthly or quarterly charges maybe they inform you of these when you get to the branch......

RainyDay, I've just logged on to the new NIB system myself this evening and screeched to a halt when I noticed that 0.23 fee for paying my ESB bill (ok, ok, not the end of the world but a matter of principle - I've changed banks twice in the past five years over such petty charges). Any confirmation yet whether they apply to the freebank accounts?

I eat my words about the transfer facility - there is indeed a facility for setting up regular transfers, and it seems to have a broader array of date options than the old system.

Hi Coolaboola - No response yet to my query on the fees.

I like the Pending entries on the current account statement. This is definitely an improvement on the old service.:)
And making a cross border payment is very easy as long as you know the IBAN and Swift. (But note the penalty charge if you get the IBAN wrong!)

You can also choose to go paperless on the quarterly statements and receive them electronically.:cool:

I can't seem to get a list of my transactions, only a balance of what is in the account - what am I doing wrong? Also, I logged on for the first time in work, so downloaded the software and used the temporary PIN number etc. Now I want to use it from home, but its telling me that I can't and that I may need to order another temporary PIN - anyone know what thats about?
Why couldn't they just leave it alone, instead of confusing us all?!

Bluebean, go to the website, click on eBanking. Then open the FAQ section. That will explain everything about the new system and what you need to do.

Bluebean, you can only use it one computer because of the file you downloaded when you put in the temperary PIN.

I'd imagine if you were to copy this file, has the same name as your customer number, and just paste into the same place on your computer at home, it would allow you to use both computers.

Also you cant access transactions before this weekend, they warned us about it a couple of weeks ago. sorry.

Coolaboola - I got the following (fairly unhelpful) response to my query on fees;

For a full list of fees and charges in relation to eBanking, please refer to www.nationalirishbank.ie/personal. Click on Online banking in the menu on the left hand side and hereafter Fees and charges also in the left hand side menu. If something is incorrect, please contact your local branch.

I did find a fee schedule which confirms that there are no fees for Freebank account, so I guess this is just an inconsistency in the Internet banking facility. I just don't have the time to chase them any further on this.

I agree that the cross-border payments facility should be very useful.

Bluebean said:
Why couldn't they just leave it alone, instead of confusing us all?!

It seems to be related to the Danske bank takeover. I have an account with Northern Bank in the north and their internet banking system has changed over the last week too.

It seems the NIB and Northern Bank internet services were ditched in favour of the Danske Bank platform, as is common in takeover scenarios. It makes sense from the banks point of view to only have 1 internet banking platform to support instead of 2 or 3. Bit of hassle for the customers in changing over though...

Personally I'm glad of the change because the Northern Bank platform was rubbish! This new one is great - the cross border payments option is fantastic for someone like me with accounts in NI and ROI. Plus I was able to cancel a direct debit that was still set up for an old credit card I had forgotten about.

Other interesting facility is the email/sms notification facility which can be triggered if your balance goes below a certain level, or for debits/credits above a certain threshold. I've set up a couple of alerts - let's hope it works smoothly.

Back