NIB - introducing cashless banking

If you have a local/national call bundle included in your phone bill, instead of using the 1850 or 1890 numbers you can use the number provided by your bank for calls from outside Ireland- usually a Dublin number, so the call would not cost you any extra. The same goes for ESB, Bord Gais, public services etc. The number for NIB telephone banking is +353 1 478 1014

[broken link removed]
http://www.saynoto1890.com/a-to-z/ is a handy resource.

They were on about some agreement with An Post for NIB customers, can't seem to find more information about it and the "Agreement". Any ideas?

They were on about some agreement with An Post for NIB customers, can't seem to find more information about it and the "Agreement". Any ideas?

I'd imagine it'll be similar to the AIB deal - you will be able to lodge and withdraw cash via Post Office branches with your ATM/Debit card.

When I was young we all got paid in cash, very few people had bank accounts. Why are we so reliant on the banks today?

I don't think it is progression, it's called got you by the short and curly's

I am on the progression side.

A good step towards a cashless society, something that is probably more than a decade or two away.

I am surprised to see some banks leading the way, I always thought that banks would be the last to go cashless.

The question now is which bank will follow NIB and ACC.

Progress would be the introduction of innovation. What is the customer benefit by NIB making their branches cashless? They have outsourced the cash and cheque interaction to the post office. The advantage of the post office is a large network and good opening hours but as an outsourced service provider they do not care about your relationship with NIB.

Progress would be mobile banking, remote cheque deposit or online / mobile account opening. I recall reading that the Irish are one of the biggest users of cash in Europe, it will be many years before we stop using cash. The move by NIB is premature from a customer perspective however from a business perspective it should be a significant cost saving and focus the branch staff on selling products and services where there is real money to be made for the bank.

It is progression because it encourages consumers to user electronic payments.

Yes, Irish use of electronic payments is poor, Irish consumers need to be pushed to change their behaviour.

I can only think of once in the last 5 years that I have gone to a bank with cash to lodge.

I havent gone in with cash to lodge. But have gone in to take out cash, ie holidays, purchases, etc. I use online banking a lot, but still need cash sometimes.

Just noticed this morning that NIB are having a problem with Laser cards. They won't work in shops or in ATMs.
So it seems that not only can you not get your cash out of the bank itself , now they wont let you get it out any other way either.

This is very embarrassing for their customers this morning who get caught out in this way.

Interesting - so I only have to use debit card once per quarter and all charges are dropped! I'd love to know the thinking behind this - could be they want to encourage a cashless system...
Anyway thanks for pointing this out CiaranT - will save me some €s :)

Just noticed this morning that NIB are having a problem with Laser cards. They won't work in shops or in ATMs.
So it seems that not only can you not get your cash out of the bank itself , now they wont let you get it out any other way either.
This is why cashless is a bad idea - it takes control away from the customer.

Back