New RTE programme "How to be Good with Money"

Whenever there's something in the news like bullying, obesity, sex ed the usual answer is "It should be taught in schools!". Fact is government won't pay for people to come in and do it properly
The difference as I see it with the above topics and financial responsibility is bullying, obesity and sex ed is exceptionally relevant to most teenagers and therefore school makes sense as its very timely. The fact the government wont pay for it is another matter - and does not take away from where it should be addressed for maximum benefit

If we ever say something like - you earn €30k in that job they're like "Holy cow! €30k! I can buy a brand new €30k car every year so".
I think this line is more aligned to my issue on doing it in school - very few teenagers have any notion of money etc, so having a theoretical discussion with them on it loses relevance. It needs to be done at a timely matter when it makes sense and is relevant to people

I think in order to embed it culturally in Ireland school is the optimal place to start
And @so-crates this is where we can agree to disagree. I don't feel school is the place to do this until it becomes a more established reality in society. The only way to embed it is to force people to change - hence my view on aligning it to social welfare/tax credits to ensure people are discussing money at a time relevant to them.

Time for the goverment to bring out a licence for anyone who wants to become a parent in Ireland and charge well for the service along with a full practical testing procedure.

As those in rural Ireland would say:
- you need a licence to own a dog, but not to have a child
- we can trace back the lineage of all cattle in the country but not the children. Father unknown is not permitted on the cattle identity card (or so I am told!!)

Don't know why rural Ireland's being emphasised, a lot of scrub bulls and similar running amok in the cities by too all accounts. All joking asides though, this one parent stuff's getting completely out of order and being allowed to do so as well.

Don't know why rural Ireland's being emphasised, a lot of scrub bulls and similar running amok in the cities by too all accounts. All joking asides though, this one parent stuff's getting completely out of order and being allowed to do so as well.
I like the way you used one parent instead of single parent was that deliberate,the single parent allowance is peanuts when you compared it to the single farm payment in rural Ireland,

When I got my free pass a few years back I went for a spin on the train from Dublin to your neck of the woods Galway City,

I got off at several Rural stops and had a good look around one of the stops Woodlawn station near Galway City ,

I was expecting it to be more prosperous seeing it was near Galway City,

farmland looked unfarmed I got talking to some locals they put it down to the single farm payment and reps which paid you not to farm,

I noticed there were lots of buggies around there explanation was you have to be doing something while lying in bed waiting on the single payment cheque to arrive,;)
Just want to point out I have no Issues with the Single Farm Payment ,

Lobby groups getting special deals for there members and giving very little back in return is a major problem , will cripple this Country long term,

Last edited:
Or concepts like striving to repay one’s mortgage early.

Killing off a mortgage of €2k a month typically gives someone the flexibility to sacrifice income of €50k a year through working a shorter week, consulting etc.

That’s serious freedom.
A course on the sustainability of our tax system and questioning do I get value for money would do parents /teachers /and young people the world of good ,will my tax cover commitments into the future,

A nice little snappy App for young kids could help. A simulation where they have to manage a budget, pay bills etc working towards a goal (buying a house, holiday etc). Wonder does one exist.

A nice little snappy App for young kids could help. A simulation where they have to manage a budget, pay bills etc working towards a goal (buying a house, holiday etc). Wonder does one exist.
I don't know if one exists, but I know a guy who was doing some self-training in the blockchain area and ended up building a cybercurrency to reward the kids for work done (based on smart contracts). These rewards/tokens where then exchanged for 'treats' such as internet time etc. He claims it really brought the training to life :)

Back