New RTE programme "How to be Good with Money"

Couldn't agree with you more Steven, as they say "everything starts at home"
I always will remember my fathers stock answer when I was looking for something new or something that I didn't need, "Who do you think I am, Rockefeller"

My mum would have me calculate the number of hours that would be need to be worked to pay for something, maths and basic economics in one fell swoop!

Interesting show this week, glad to see that we have a couple that can live within their means but at the same time am a little shocked at how bad their understanding of microeconomics is
Is this not something that is or should be thought to our kids in school ??

Cervelo,
Have your forgotten week 1 couple, he was a business studies teacher !! and he couldn't add up

Did I hear that the couple plus one child were spending €800 per month on food?

Both myself and my wife struggle to spend the €50 per week in Dunnes Stores to get the €10 cashback.

My partner and I have two kids,, one is two and a half, the other is four months, we spend about 90 euro per week but that doesn't include nappies or baby formula,I don't drink anymore than a handful of times per year but we don't live on mince and pasta, I'm also gluten intolerant so dietery special foods are a bit higher, 200 is on the high side but not outrageous when you have two children if they are including the spend on baby food, nappies etc

When I was single, I reckon I spent about forty euro per week on groceries but that was before I realised I shouldn't eat wheat

Last edited:
I was interested that finally they showed the benefit of switching a mortgage.

People have such inertia when it comes to a switch. However, the show said it would save €30odd thousand. This is only true if the rate stays the same (which it won't when they've fixed for x years).

Did I hear that the couple plus one child were spending €800 per month on food?

Both myself and my wife struggle to spend the €50 per week in Dunnes Stores to get the €10 cashback.

So far we have seen the participants on the show shopping in SuperValu. Maybe they don't have a Dunnes or Tesco close to them. I find SuperValu expensive for certain non promotional items. We saw in the last show one of the participants purchasing a fillet of Sea Bass for €3. These are regularly on offer at €1.50. I buy them on special offer. When they are not on special offer I buy something that is.

With a bit of cop on I am sure that this couple could drop their weekly shop from €200 by a good €50.

So far we have seen the participants on the show shopping in SuperValu. Maybe they don't have a Dunnes or Tesco close to them. I find SuperValu expensive for certain non promotional items. We saw in the last show one of the participants purchasing a fillet of Sea Bass for €3. These are regularly on offer at €1.50. I buy them on special offer. When they are not on special offer I buy something that is.

With a bit of cop on I am sure that this couple could drop their weekly shop from €200 by a good €50.

Supervalu is very expensive full stop, I'm always puzzled as to why its so popular.

At least with M+S, you get the upmarket experience

Supervalu is very expensive full stop, I'm always puzzled as to why its so popular.

At least with M+S, you get the upmarket experience

Their bakery products and butchers counter are very good (maybe it depends on the branch though, Blackrock in Dublin is very good imo), and the special offer products are good value. Some own brand products are price matched as well. They also do a great range of artisan Irish products through their food academy line. They are definitely expensive for some lines though.

Their bakery products and butchers counter are very good (maybe it depends on the branch though, Blackrock in Dublin is very good imo), and the special offer products are good value. Some own brand products are price matched as well. They also do a great range of artisan Irish products through their food academy line. They are definitely expensive for some lines though.

Might that Blackrock store be an ex Superquinn outlet ?

Might that Blackrock store be an ex Superquinn outlet ?

Yes. I live in Blackrock. There is now an Aldi, SuperValu and M & S, within 50 yds of each other. Less than a mile away there is a Tesco and Dunnes.

I still find SuperValu very expensive for some items so I only shop there for their promotional products. I can pop in to Aldi and M & S and pick up their promotional items at the same time.

I often wondered why the people participating on the show are always seen in SuperValu and not one of the German retailers. They all seem to be terribly unaware type people.

I find now that Dunnes Stores is in my opinion the cheapest supermarket to do your shopping in
Not only have they improved the quality of most of their products over the last few years they now have priced matched nearly all the similar items that you get in the German retailers
And that's before you start to factor in the 20% discount if you spend €50

Yes. I live in Blackrock. There is now an Aldi, SuperValu and M & S, within 50 yds of each other. Less than a mile away there is a Tesco and Dunnes.

I still find SuperValu very expensive for some items so I only shop there for their promotional products. I can pop in to Aldi and M & S and pick up their promotional items at the same time.

I often wondered why the people participating on the show are always seen in SuperValu and not one of the German retailers. They all seem to be terribly unaware type people.

We predominantly shop in lidl but M+S is nice for special occasions but even then we don't buy the staples there.

Find aldi compromise quality for price

I find now that Dunnes Stores is in my opinion the cheapest supermarket to do your shopping in
Not only have they improved the quality of most of their products over the last few years they now have priced matched nearly all the similar items that you get in the German retailers
And that's before you start to factor in the 20% discount if you spend €50

Dunnes has the best balance overall, lidl closer to us however

Prefer dunnes to tesco anyday

Leaving aside the €10 off €50 (I never manage to spend enough to hit the €50) Dunnes is quite expensive I find - free range chicken fillets are around €17 per kg compared with €24 in tesco/aldi/lidl. Dunnes own brand bran flakes are €2 for 750g compared with 75c in Aldi and 1.29 in SV.
Dunnes own brand chickpeas are €1 versus 39 cent in aldi, lidl and tesco, and 55c in SV

I think the best advice for saving money is to go for own brand products and try to buy any branded items whenever they are on offer. The latter are usually similarly priced across stores and really it's the own brand produce where the price differentials are, and the offers for branded items tend to rotate e.g. glenisk strained yogurt is just finishing on offer in Tesco and is now on offer in SV.

Back