New RTE programme "How to be Good with Money"

Excellent idea. Could this be worked into a policy and is there any group across the political spectrum that would oppose it?
The usual cohort would oppose it...Shinners and the Alphabet parties/Indo's who rely on/pander to the welfare vote

I don’t think hyperbole serves any purpose here. Many of these people don’t start on €50k, they finish on it, if they’re lucky.
Wow. So you are saying that some of these people who have a degree or nurses or childcare workers do actually start on 50k ? Or are you not reading the first line of your post ? The point is most people in the workforce will struggle with actually living on their wage for a few years till they get to a reasonable salary scale. Some oirish people think once they get a job they should also be able to buy a house. That should not be the case.

The usual cohort would oppose it...Shinners and the Alphabet parties/Indo's who rely on/pander to the welfare vote
That's what I was getting at. Would the looneys really oppose nurses and guards getting houses? They're not going to bankers and lawyers.

I suppose I was being naive and that yes, they would oppose.

Wow. So you are saying that some of these people who have a degree or nurses or childcare workers do actually start on 50k ? Or are you not reading the first line of your post ? The point is most people in the workforce will struggle with actually living on their wage for a few years till they get to a reasonable salary scale. Some oirish people think once they get a job they should also be able to buy a house. That should not be the case.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

You’re switching wildly from stuff about people starting on €50k to stuff about people not starting on €50k; which is it?

I knew of very few graduates who started on €50k in my day. Some in certain financial services, that was it. I think I was €20k or thereabouts, €22k maybe.

I had a guy today who powerhouses offer to do my hard landscaping for €230.

I declined.

But I needed it done and later spoke with him. Told him I had forgotten an area in front of my house. He wanted to review. I told him I couldn’t afford his price. Got an earful about small companies and their expenses!

Asked him for final price.

Would only accept cash for €200 including new area.

I have to earn €300 give or take to pay this entrepreneur! That’s three days supervision of the leaving cert examination if anyone is interested! (Travel expenses may arise)

I hate having to pay money to those whom I know won’t declare it. But, I will. I know this guy won’t pay any taxes on it. I won’t respond to how do I know questions on this! :)

Marion

Last edited:
How do you know if ANYONE you pay to do a job pays tax, not just this person. Answer being, you don't.

How do you know if ANYONE you pay to do a job pays tax, not just this person. Answer being, you don't.

Are you being facetious?

I think it’s reasonably safe to assume that when a service provider says “okay, I’ll do it for €X cash” that he/she won’t declare it.

Equally, I think it’s reasonably safe to assume that someone who volunteers a VAT invoice and accepts all payment methods will declare it.

I had a guy today who powerhouses offer to do my hard landscaping for €230.

I declined.

But I needed it done and later spoke with him. Told him I had forgotten an area in front of my house. He wanted to review. I told him I couldn’t afford his price. Got an earful about small companies and their expenses!

Asked him for final price.

Would only accept cash for €200 including new area.

I have to earn €300 give or take to pay this entrepreneur! That’s three days supervision of the leaving cert examination if anyone is interested! (Travel expenses may arise)

I hate having to pay money to those whom I know won’t declare it. But, I will. I know this guy won’t pay any taxes on it. I won’t respond to how do I know questions on this! :)

Marion
Why would you give the work to someone you know will not declare it, In my book the people who seek out a lower price job knowing well tax is not going to be paid are also cheating the system even more so than the person doing the work,

Last edited:
Let’s be clear here. I didn’t ask him for a cash price. I just told him I couldn’t afford his first offer.

It’s not up to me to police private sector companies to pay their taxes.

I would be surprised if he paid.

Marion

Last edited:
Are you being facetious?

I think it’s reasonably safe to assume that when a service provider says “okay, I’ll do it for €X cash” that he/she won’t declare it.

Equally, I think it’s reasonably safe to assume that someone who volunteers a VAT invoice and accepts all payment methods will declare it.

Many's the time my brother didn't get a job because the customer thought it too dear and wanted to know "how much for cash"? For a long time he didn't do this but copped on after hearing from other people. He began to price the "cash quote" into his modus operandi. It didn't take too long for this methodology to reap rewards for him. In every single case he paid his vat and tax so this is my reasoning for posting the comment. Maybe you should learn the economics of the real world Gordon and not a set of blah blah from the Uni's ot RTC's. :)

They both have CC debt.

Overdraft also mentioned.

She thinks they can buy a house with a sea view, even though she has huge debts, and no record of regular saving.

Watched show.

Two married teachers in rural east Cork.

Gross not mentioned, net 5,880 pm.

They rent, rent is "low".

Two kids under 5, childcare costs described as "low".

Debt = 33,752.

Debt costs 1,000 pm.

They strike me as naive and immature, especially for teachers.
Agree, and I’m a teacher

The thing that I was not surprised to hear was one of them was turned down for a credit card ,The other then applied for one with a max limit of 4000 euro and was approved for 14000 euro ,Any one who is questioning /don't understand why the Central bank are forcing banks to sell off bad debt got there answer ,

I thought that the presenter was good. The subjects struck me as not the full shilling, particularly the wife who seemed to grin inanely the whole time. Not the worst thing I’ve ever seen.

Very good summary.

The presenter was much better than I expected although I had not seen him before on TV.

My only criticism is that it should not be described as "economics". It was entertainment and just that.

Back