New robot mower

galway_blow_in

Registered User
Messages
2,108
So my STIHL mower ( which has been a lemon) is not worth fixing and I'm trying to decide between Kress ( German) and Segway ( Chinese) , there is a thousand euro in the difference, I don't fear Chinese stuff at all anymore and have read positive reviews of both Segway and Kress

Just wondering if anyone has owned either?
 
Husqvarna are expensive and over rated with everything they make
I would beg to differ personally. Have a Husqvarna walk behind lawnmower and it's by far the best one I've owned, by a distance. Yes it was more expensive but it was absolutely worth it. Not trying to persuade you to consider otherwise but just don't agree that they are overrated at all.
 
I would beg to differ personally. Have a Husqvarna walk behind lawnmower and it's by far the best one I've owned, by a distance. Yes it was more expensive but it was absolutely worth it. Not trying to persuade you to consider otherwise but just don't agree that they are overrated at all.
Relative to the price, I believe they are, it's a pretty common view in the trade too , another common view is that STIHL make great stuff but their robot mowers are mediocre
 
Relative to the price, I believe they are
Well in my case the price was probably about 50% more than other brands. However, the quality is definitely more than 50% better than my previous mower and I am optimistic that the lifespan will similarly outperform this number.
 
I have a Kress robot since October 2023. It is very good. I did my research on a few facebook groups.(robotic lawnmowers) It was well supported with recommendations and that why i went for it. key for me is its wireless and has Kress GPS enhancement in bigger towns -not sure about rural locations. Also cuts in straight lines as opposed to some makes cutting in random patterns. For me this is more pleasing to the eye.
 
Have a husq walk behind and I have to say it's by far the best walk behind mower I have had

I now have a navimow. The equivalent husq mower (large and wireless boundary) is far more expensive and absolutely unlikely to be worth it. I think I paid about 3k and the husq was nearly 5k
 
The lid robot mower is great value. Think they were about 200 and 350 euro! They need you to lay a perimeter wire though.

You can find a long thread on boards about them.
 
I have a Kress robot since October 2023. It is very good. I did my research on a few facebook groups.(robotic lawnmowers) It was well supported with recommendations and that why i went for it. key for me is its wireless and has Kress GPS enhancement in bigger towns -not sure about rural locations. Also cuts in straight lines as opposed to some makes cutting in random patterns. For me this is more pleasing to the eye.
Yes, I know several people with Kress, excellent mower , the crowd I deal with do both Kress and Segway and STIHL, they say themselves that Kress are better than Stihl in robot mowers,I would go for a wireless

My Stihl is there less than four years and while fine when working, I've had to replace just about every part ,either while in warranty or past the two year point
 
If i buy a gps robot mower in a european country will it work in Ireland without difficulty. Cant seem to find straight answer on google. Seeing something re a sim card in the machine that may not work in Ireland but that if its all within EU it might work.

The machine im looking at is a few hundred cheaper in France.
 
If i buy a gps robot mower in a european country will it work in Ireland without difficulty.
GPS has full coverage of Ireland / europe, so no reason why any GPS controlled element won't work here. In reality, many systems sold as offering GPS functionality here can access the US GPS along with the European Galileo and Russian GLONASS networks.

Accuracy of consumer GPS systems is in the ~3-5m range though, so don't expect your GPS mower to be super accurate on that alone. I have a couple of areas with steep banks marked as keep out areas on my Husqvarna, but it still ventures in there or stays a few meters away.

Newer systems with RTK emulate how military users of GPS obtain much greater accuracy by using the fixed location of the base station to correct for the multiple issues that cause the 3-5m variance when relying on the satellite signals alone.

Regarding SIM cards, any that I know of that use a SIM for connection back to the manufacturer use built-in 4G eSIMs. They are not required for basic operation, but to allow remote control of the mower via their app (most people's WiFi doesn't cover their gardens). In general you won't need to do anything to register or activate that, but after a few years, the manufacturer might start charging a service fee if you want to keep using the app.
 
Last edited:
In addition to what Leo outlined I feel that local backup can mean the difference between a positive user experience and a more frustrating one.

I'd expect that purchasing locally will mean that that backup will be available but you could experience some indifference if you purchase abroad to save some money and then need the local dealer to sort out a warranty issue.

Something to weigh up.
 
I'd expect that purchasing locally will mean that that backup will be available but you could experience some indifference if you purchase abroad to save some money and then need the local dealer to sort out a warranty issue.
Thanks. If i need to bring to local lawnmower repair guy, do I need to disclose to him the country I bought it in? Vould I just say I bought it somewhere in Ireland?

This is what Segway Ireland said in resp to my query:

'As the unit would be purchased from a French retailer, any warranty, after-sales support, servicing arrangements, SIM/network functionality, and regional compatibility queries should be confirmed directly with the selling retailer before purchase.

Our support channel is set up to support products supplied through authorised dealers in Ireland and Northern Ireland. If you require warranty support, servicing, and local guidance in Ireland or Northern Ireland, we would recommend purchasing through an authorised Segway Navimow dealer in this region.

For questions specific to a unit purchased from Castorama in France, please contact Castorama or the relevant Segway Navimow support channel in France'.
 
Thanks Leo, ill try and ask (in my terrible French) the person in the shop when I go there today but sounds like i might be ok with bringing it home.

Im getting a segway navimow i215 and a garage yoke for 1,100. Think its closer to 1 500 in ireland
 
Back
Top