New owners have redirected post before signing contracts!

rosie

Just wondering if I'm overreacting here. We have partially signed contracts on selling our house but there is still some paperwork to do. We have received several items of post in the past few days addressed to the people who will be living here. I think they should have looked for consent while we are still the owners . There is no date set for moving yet.

It's usual to receive 2 types of post in this scenario, that I've no issue with:
1. They're applying for school places for children based in new address,
2. Their house insurance quotes / policy. They might actually need this to get their mortgage.

Anything else is getting ahead of themselves.

You've enough going on with a house sale that you shouldn't be worrying about this!

It's not clear, is it:
1) Is post addressed to them at their current address being sent to the house being sold via An Post's re-direction process?
2) Have they told utility providers already that the house you are selling to them is their correspondence address?

If it is 2) I wouldn't really mind. It can be essential (say for parking permits) to have utility bills at your new address ready immediately.

No, the initial contracts haven't even been fully signed. I think they should have consulted with us first as it's our house and I don't know them.

If you intend on signing the contracts just collect the post and keep it in a drawer. If you no longer wish to sign you need to let the purchasers know. I would only be concerned if packages started arriving.

I went through this recently myself and found it reassuring when there was delays with the sale.

There are a variety of reasons why someone might be particular about postage in this scenario. Perhaps they are renting somewhere now and didn't want to use this 3rd interim address for fear of medical correspondence etc going there at some point in error.

I'd be reassured and relieved that they're obviously progressive, committed and proactive buyers.

Would you prefer months of broken promises, non-commital, delays and stress?

Unless there's evidence of Anthrax I'd collect these diligently for their safekeeping and if I should become troubled by this triviality I'd hope for some reminder to be glad my life is so straightforward.

Unless there's evidence of Anthrax I'd collect these diligently for their safekeeping and if I should become troubled by this triviality I'd hope for some reminder to be glad my life is so straightforward.

My views too. Rosie should be glad they are serious about buying !

A lack of cop on on their part, totally get the annoyance, I would retain all post until the closing, you are selling them a house not a virtual address with you providing free secretarial services.

Thanks for all the responses. Primarily I wouldn't do it myself without checking with the owners if a property as a matter of courtesy. We're still only at booking deposit stage. One letter was from the same insurance company we use to insure the house. One was hse, the hse are difficult enough to deal with without adding confusion. The third one is addressed to the parents of their child which I assume is from the local school, our kids school. We wouldn't have told the school we're moving yet as kids will be staying in the school. It's not for anyone else to give that information.

I think it's very odd that you feel qualified to assume my life is straight forward based on a legitimate question on a suitable forum and a tad patronising.

Last edited:
I fully agree with you @rosie re. the lack of courtesy. But unfortunately that appears to be lacking in so many people theses days.

You are correct it is NOT their house/address yet and they should have asked before assuming you would provide this 'small' service.
But as I'm sure you know, in the greater scheme of things, it is just an annoyance, but it is an annoyance nevertheless.
If it really bothers you why not ask them to desist ?

Its not the service, ive no bother putting letters by. I don't want any confusion with other agencies like the hse etc and also the issue of disclosing our move in our kids school etc. Anyway it's no big deal, i just wouldn't do it myself

Just wondering if I'm overreacting here
Yes.

One letter was from the same insurance company we use to insure the house.
As soon as they sign contracts, they've an insurable interest in your house (in case you've under insured it). If they've a good solicitor, they'll have insurance before they sign.

The insurance company will send the letter the the insured address.

The buyers won't have known that.

issue of disclosing our move in our kids school etc
I'm assuming you don't live in an area where you can just rock up on 1st September and start school? Their new address is the one that they are basing their enrollment application on. Your issue here doesn't seem to be the post, but the fact they've told the school they are moving to your house? Was it a confidential sale?

Yes, no for sale sign. Child with autism so we're not telling the children until it's all signed. Contracts have not been fully signed, deposit has not been paid. The issue about the school placement is not my concern. If they want to use my address to secure a place I think they should have the courtesy to ask.
One thing is for sure from this thread, people have very different ideas about common courtesy

In fairness, mentioning the child's condition and private sale puts a different slant on this. I'm pretty sure some of the posters would not have posted what they did if they were better informed.

I actually think the autism is somewhat irrelevant, if you don't own the house, don't use the address as your own with several agencies without consent from the owner. Id love to hear who here would do this with not even a deposit paid

Its not the service, ive no bother putting letters by. I don't want any confusion with other agencies like the hse etc and also the issue of disclosing our move in our kids school etc. Anyway it's no big deal, i just wouldn't do it myself

If it’s no big deal, why bother posting?

It’s unreasonable to post on an internet forum seeking people’s views and to then cry foul when you don’t like what you hear.

It was a bit presumptuous, but I’d view it as a positive in terms of their conviction. Perhaps the private nature of the transaction makes it a little different in terms of protocol?

But either way I wouldn’t let it bother me; it sounds as if you’ve enough on your plate.

Last edited:
Rosie, moving house, especially when in a chain, is stressful. I can understand that you felt a bit annoyed by their lack of courtesy. However, do they have any direct contact with you? It could be that they were advised to give their new address for insurance and school registration purpose but were not aware that the sale was to be kept private?
Re. Not telling the children, I can understand your point, however they will have certainly picked on the stress you are under, above all when I read your other post. My child also has autism and we had a social story ready to explain the move, as to get him used to the idea (we were moving to a rented property in the interim). He dealt with it very well as he knew what was coming. Of course, your child is different to mine, you'll know best how he is likely to react.

I see why you would be annoyed. It's not their address until the sale goes through. So many things can go wrong/ delay with a sale i don't see why they would want their post going to that address but on the other hand it shows they are serious about the sale.
Regarding the school, i'm sure they wont comment to the children. But pretty forward behaviour all the same!

Back