New owners have redirected post before signing contracts!

:rolleyes:
If it’s no big deal, why bother posting?

It’s unreasonable to post on an internet forum seeking people’s views and to then cry foul when you don’t like what you hear.

I thanked everyone for their views, where did you get crying foul from? I don't mind if people don't think it's discourteous but there's no need for a rude response like that gheko, you must be having a bad day.
also, where does it say in the guidelines that you can only post if its a big deal? I must remember to run a post by you next time

Last edited:
Rosie, moving house, especially when in a chain, is stressful. I can understand that you felt a bit annoyed by their lack of courtesy. However, do they have any direct contact with you? It could be that they were advised to give their new address for insurance and school registration purpose but were not aware that the sale was to be kept private?
Re. Not telling the children, I can understand your point, however they will have certainly picked on the stress you are under, above all when I read your other post. My child also has autism and we had a social story ready to explain the move, as to get him used to the idea (we were moving to a rented property in the interim). He dealt with it very well as he knew what was coming. Of course, your child is different to mine, you'll know best how he is likely to react.

Thanks pennywise, it's more that he will ask us several times a day and if the sale didn't go through he wouldn't be good at dealing with the disappointment.

Rosie for all you know An Post could have mixed up the dates and started this a few weeks early in error.

These people do not in a million years want their lives to be in any way entangled with yours..... Its just a particular incidental circumstance and a short term, overwhelmingly harmless one at that. I'm not referring to this case in particular but I've noticed on this and other similar sites that sometimes it is with great difficulty that people eventually manage to find something to be offended and put out over.

- I'd honestly consider the cost to you of simply being as decent and accommodating as you can, perhaps you could send them a text when mail arrives as they may feel too awkward to ask if for example they were to be waiting for something urgent/sensitive they're concerned about?

As to the poster (really not bother scrolling up to reread) that wanted to reroute the mail for some petty reason - Is that really what you wish the world was actually like???? I'm so sorry to disappoint you, but in my experience if you're kind, respectful and decent to people they'll gladly reciprocate in kind 99% of the time.

Really, its staggering how some people think..... the mind boggles.....

Last edited:
As to the poster (really not bother scrolling up to reread) that wanted to reroute the mail for some petty reason - Is that really what you wish the world was actually like???? Really, its staggering how some people think..... the mind boggles.....

The people are not living in the house, there hasn't even been a date set for handing over keys.
What the world is actually like, i.e. reality, is that the new owners have no legal connection whatsoever to the house. Pettiness doesn't come into it.
The post should not be going there, seems entirely reasonable for the current owner to query this.

The people are not living in the house, there hasn't even been a date set for handing over keys.
What the world is actually like, i.e. reality, is that the new owners have no legal connection whatsoever to the house. Pettiness doesn't come into it.
The post should not be going there, seems entirely reasonable for the current owner to query this.

Edited post as Mods run a nice tidy ship here for all of our benefit.

Opinions vary, I just really don't see the harm, OP best of luck with your sale - I hope all pans out well.

Edited post as Mods run a nice tidy ship here for all of our benefit.
Opinions vary, I just really don't see the harm, OP best of luck with your sale - I hope all pans out well.

99 times of out 100 there probably wouldn't be any harm, but if they for example, changed their driving licence address, and committed an offence, I doubt the OP would welcome a visit from the Gardai.

99 times of out 100 there probably wouldn't be any harm, but if they for example, changed their driving licence address, and committed an offence, I doubt the OP would welcome a visit from the Gardai.
That's really stretching it! Do the Gardai actually come to a house for a driving offence? And so what if they did.

What if they had signed up to one of those World Wildlife Fund 'Adopt a Panda' charity fundraisers and the Panda was delivered and then ate all of the geraniums?!- Sorry, I really am trying to behave here.....

Back in the real world, the Panda I would have in mind is Panda waste management, or any other utility or service provider.

The "new owners" are not the new owners and are being cheeky, presumptuous and pushy. The current owner is well within their legal rights and social acceptability to return post to sender as unknown.

This happened to us when we were in the process of buying a house. We had gone sale agreed but there was a long delay and we were sorting other life events (like getting married). We opened a joint account in Ulster bank, gave our new address, told them not to sent any mail there, all agreed etc. The bank posted out new bank cards for both of us to this address! After several days we noticed they had not posted the bank cards to our current address as agreed so phoned them up, so sorry, sent to wrong address. And then they proceeded to do the same thing again.

We were mortified and passed a message through our solicitor that bank cards (plus PIN numbers) had been posted there in error but we never retrieved them. The vendors must have been well peeved with us, as we never got any of the cards or pins back.

Fast forward a few months later and we had moved in, they had left a forwarding address so we used send on bunches of mail to them. That all tapered off but a few years later we started getting private and confidential letters from a solicitors firm for them, and we had long discarded the forwarding address. No matter how many times we sent them back to sender as unknown they kept coming. Eventually opened one to get contact name & number and phoned up the sender to stop them. I got the impression they had been trying to evade something by giving old address so we were well rid!

The buyers may not be presumptive by giving new address, it may be required for all sorts of reasons and post sent in error, but equally the sellers may not be as good about ensuring letters go to their new address.

The buyers may not be presumptive by giving new address, it may be required for all sorts of reasons and post sent in error, but equally the sellers may not be as good about ensuring letters go to their new address.

If it was just a single letter, or letters from a single source, then it's something that could be overlooked or put down to the sender.
This is happening with letters from multiple sources, implying it is a deliberate decision of the buyers rather than in your scenario a processing issue by the bank.
It's possible to get an insurance quote for a property or car using different risk and postal addresses.
This does not seem to be typical or necessary behaviour, so it's perfectly understandable the OP queried it. If there was a specific scenario with school placement than the buyers should have run it by the OP.

Back