New Late Late - Good or bad?

Only saw part of it. I thought Ryan did a good job interviewing Brian Cowen, and didn't let him off too lightly on most things. I have no idea why Bryan McFadden would choose to come on the Late Late to discuss an on-going custody battle over his children. I thought that was totally inappropriate.

the person who came out badly was McFadden, rambling on about his half assed attempts to get his kids and claiming he doesnt know what they do.

I watched a bit of the Late Late to see how Mr T got on, and actually quite enjoyed it. True, it was like watching Tubridy Tonight on a different channel, but he is a far better interviewer than Pat Kenny could ever be. Poor Sharon Corr is getting a hard time on this thread though! I actually like her song, but must admit that performance wasn't great. Maybe she's a bit nervous performing live as the lead instead of backing singer?

Anyways - looking forward to the Toy Show :p

Oh, and contrary to what it says in most of the posts here, isn't our glorious leader's surname spelt with an e, not an a?

OMG, I actually missed Pat Kenny. He would make you cringe I admit, but I cannot BEAR that awful RT leaping around the place and mumbling his words!

I would agree with you Calico but the use of the acronym "OMG" invalidates your post. :D

I would agree with you Calico but the use of the acronym "OMG" invalidates your post. :D

Well, to be fair, we are talking TLL here......

Had I said OMAG (the A standing for 'actual') you might have some grounds.....:p

I'm surprised there's some positive comments about the Cowen interview, I thought it was woeful.

RT was going for the Paxman style which is bad enough when it's Paxman, but even worse when it's someone not quite as sharp. Interrupting Cowen's responses to throw out random stats is not astute or creditable journalism. What was the point of continuing this when Cowen had said to the first stat quite clearly that those types of waste and expense claims must be cut out. Whether you believe him or not, it seemed pointless continually interrupting him with even more examples.

And the NAMA question pretty much showed the research had been put together by a bunch of lackies pouring over the Star at lunch.

It was like a media studies student with pretentions of being a political journalist, here's my "smart" questions and I'm going to ask them no matter what answer I get.

Totally agree Latrade - he seemed intent on 'scoring points' with the audience rather than actually waiting to be answered and allowing us to hear what Cowen was going to say.

Just the sight of that god-awful crowd of muppets he so eloquently calls his 'house band' ensures I won't be tuning in again anyways...

I'm surprised there's some positive comments about the Cowen interview, I thought it was woeful.

RT was going for the Paxman style which is bad enough when it's Paxman, but even worse when it's someone not quite as sharp. Interrupting Cowen's responses to throw out random stats is not astute or creditable journalism. What was the point of continuing this when Cowen had said to the first stat quite clearly that those types of waste and expense claims must be cut out. Whether you believe him or not, it seemed pointless continually interrupting him with even more examples.

And the NAMA question pretty much showed the research had been put together by a bunch of lackies pouring over the Star at lunch.

It was like a media studies student with pretentions of being a political journalist, here's my "smart" questions and I'm going to ask them no matter what answer I get.

Totally agree with this analysis. The fact that Tubridy was hell bent on asking certain questions/throwing in random stats showed up his lack of understanding of economic matters. It seemed to me that during Cowen's answers Tubridy was so busy reading his cards the answer given went over his head so the interview lacked coherence and fluidity. Tubridy, imo, is an intellectual lightweight who will ultimately prove to be as uncomfortable with the serious stuff as Kenny was with the light stuff.

Couldn't see what all the fuss was about. New set, new version of an old intro. music are we supposed to be impressed.

Just an extended RT show, with one more serious interview

What's the chances of Cowen going head-to-head with a real interviewer, like Dobbo or one of the Prime Time guys? [And no, Miriam doesn't count anymore, since she exposed her FF colours with her on-the-couch interview with Bertie] Slim to none, I guess.

What's the chances of Cowen going head-to-head with a real interviewer, like Dobbo or one of the Prime Time guys? [And no, Miriam doesn't count anymore, since she exposed her FF colours with her on-the-couch interview with Bertie] Slim to none, I guess.

Good point there.

What person in TV land is a good, fair and impartial interviewer, yet somewhat charismatic and able to handle the fluff as well as the more serious issues?

Anyone in Ireland fit the bill?

I've been reading here, and in the newspapers about Mr. Cowen not having enough time to answer a question. I suppose its a fair point.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if there is a lesson here for all our representatives when doing interviews - When you are asked a question, just answer it, and stop padding your answers with waffle and stuff we know already, otherwise when you have something important to say, you may not get the chance to say it.

I've been reading here, and in the newspapers about Mr. Cowen not having enough time to answer a question. I suppose its a fair point.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if there is a lesson here for all our representatives when doing interviews - When you are asked a question, just answer it, and stop padding your answers with waffle and stuff we know already, otherwise when you have something important to say, you may not get the chance to say it.

The padding is essential when trying not to answer questions as is generally the case.

Watched a recording last night and would completely agree with this analysis.

Tubridy, it seems, wants to be all things to all people. The questions put, and his unwillingeness to let the person answer before he asked another, smack of someone trying to be the centre of attention. Gay Byrne and Parko would have been confident enough in themselves to let the interviewee take centre stage but Tubridy doesn't seem to understand why he's really there. The show shouldn't be about him but he seem to think it is. He's believing his own PR BS.

And he's certainly no Paxman.

It should also be remembered that he's on the public payroll himself. He's a bit of neck talking about wasteful expenditure with the salary he's on and the obvious largesse that characterised the show's new format. As someone has alluded to - a ten-member house band. Why?....and how much?

.. a ten-member house band. Why?....and how much?

cos Letterman, Leno, O'Brien all have one. Tubridy has faithfully copied their formats and style for most other aspects of Tubridy Tonight and now Late Late Show, except for their talent, of course :D !

The opening monologue & Top 10 can't be far behind :rolleyes: All he needs is Hank 'Hey now' Kingsley to complete the effect.

Back