New Housing Estate Fionn Laoi, Ballincollig

I am not the developer!!!! The only reason I have only posted on this thread is because this is the only thread which interests me.

The news about Property developer Liam Carroll is worrying though. I am interested in buying, but McInerney are digging their heals in and not dropping prices here. These prices have remained the same since they day they opened their doors back in April/May for the 4 bed, the 3 bed went UP €5,000!!! Plenty of posts here have said they will only buy if prices drop, but they are not. Is that because since the show houses have come online, genuine interest has increased and people are buying at the asking price?

Saints (not Mr McInerney!!!!!)

I am also interested in the development but the developer will not budge on price. As all other properties, both new and second hand are dropping in price at the moment, it's seems a bit strange that the same isn't happening here. Something will have to give or else the development will become a dirty wasteland. Many people have to sell property to finance a new house here and if they have to take a drop in their asking price the developer should have to too!!
In relation to a previous thread regarding attic conversions; make sure the ceiling joists are capable of holding occupants and definitly plan and carry out the work before occupation. No harm to at least floor the attic with sheets of ply, etc. and max out on more attic insulation between the roofing rafters.

Ceiling conversion will take a lot of work. Been up in the roof and its HUGE, but half a rain forest is used to support the roof. Loads of work to remove these joists from the centre space of the roof and support it aswell.

I think there was something in spec somewhere about the 'breathability' of the house or something with regards to attic conversion because they are timber frame build.Will find info we got, that was in spec and let you know. We've bought and while in total recession we've been waiting to buy in b'collig for last 18mths. yea might be facing unfinished development but they seem to finishing landscaping and sure we'll be living in 'exclusive' :rolleyes: small scale development unlike Classis lake or Old quarter!Not gonna over analyse we made our decision and overall happy with it. What can you do when you've been renting for 10yrs!!!! We took the jump but sure would've been worse if bought 12/10mths ago. I'm happy (kind of!!! will be in debt forever)- nice house, good size, good location but its ours! :)

I agree, the lanscaping is tidy and the houses facing towards the city have a great view over towards the east which will remain unspoiled even if/when phase 2 is completed. Any idea as to whats the story with the houses with the Sold signs up, but look empty? McInerneys are a bit vague and Global Properties don't know.

I went out to a showhouse there last week. It is an excellent location. close to city and with river walks. It seems that prices have dropped significantly over the course of the last year with most of the estate still empty. hard to pin the agent down on price but got the impresson that they would accept about €240K for a three bed semi D now. Has anybody who bought here have any feedback?

I nearly bought a house there 18 months ago. Developer was playing hardball and would'nt budge on the asking price. Goodbye to him. Will that development ever be finished. It looks like a battlefield. The price for the three bed semi is excellent, giving a well spec'd, good size house in a good accessible location but take two other points into consideration.
1. That site is located on a flood plain,
2. Fog can be a lingering problem down there.

I assume that these houses were flooded last week when water was released from the Inascara Dam as the estate is on the flood plain. does anyone know how much damage was done and whether it might lead McInerneys to reconsider their refusal to lower asking prices for the long unsold houses in this now half finished abandoned estate.

Does anyone know if this estate is definatley on flood plain, also did it flood when the weather was bad recently???

Also did anyone find any info on those sold posters???
As no one has moved into those properties with the posters since they appeared over a year ago..??

Also did anyone find any info on those sold posters???
As no one has moved into those properties with the posters since they appeared over a year ago..??

standard tactic of developers of unfinished ghost estates. gives the impression that they have sold more houses than is actually the case.

looks like there is a good chance that much of the estate will now be used for social housing

[broken link removed]
Sunday, January 24, 2010 - By David Clerkin and Ian Kehoe
The government plans to rent thousands of vacant houses and apartments from the National Asset Management Agency (Nama) and use them for social housing.

Representatives of the new ‘bad bank’ have held meetings with officials in the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government to explore the possibility of renting out properties that would otherwise lie empty.

Housing minister Michael Finneran said his officials were seeking to ensure a ‘‘social dividend’’ from Nama by renting residential units on long-term leases for social housing purposes.

[broken link removed]

These houses are good properties, think people are nervous about it supposedly being on a flood plain. Though told they didn't flood recently.
Other new estates sold well, this one just not shifting.
Would be interested in buying but not at the risk of it never being completed.
Anyone bought on this estate or have any informations/ advise to offer?

Thinking of buying here, someone must know someone who bought here or info regarding flood risk, thanks

We're first time buyers and have been looking to buy in Ballincollig. We looked at the showhouse in Fionn Laoi at the weekend and were highly impressed with it. Just wondering who long the people that are already living in the estate are there and how they are finding it? Also were they living there during the flooding last winter? How was the housing estate effected? Also the estate agents told us all 3 bed semis built are sold - any know if this is true? Any advise or information would be gratefully appreicated. Thanks

I was also told the 3 bed semi's that are built are sold. This appears to be true, they must have gone at a bargain price as they shifted fast over last few weeks!!
was told they will start building next few 3 bed semi's in 10 weeks time and they will take 6 months.
Bit of a wait, who knows what will happen between now and then.
There was apparently no flooding............. but not certain.
The houses are lovely, i was going to offer 15% below asking but all gone!!! ha

123.ie no flood insurance
I have a friend who lives on Cathedral Road who had difficulty getting flood insurance - we're all in trouble if the Lee rises enough to flood his house!

Back to Fionn Laoi... as I said, I live close by. I've never been refused flood insurance. Currently with Allianz. Previously with RSA. I've lived in the area 25 years and have never seen flooding.

Back