New Dulux Paint Pod - "Painting Just Got Easier"

Quote:
5 Litres of cookie cream paint for 44 euro
Holy Moses! 44 euro for 5 litres of emulsion paint.

That doesn't sound too bad. The regular size paint is 2.5 litre which is in around 20euro a can.

Is there something special about this paint? With normal emulsion paints you wouldn't start the second coat for at least 4 hours after the first (to let it dry)...

Paint was dry enough for a second coat (At least to a non pro it seemed so).

A quick question for those that have used the edging brush - what do you think is the reason it is better than a standard paintbrush? Am asking as I don't necessarily find masking tape makes the lines any neater (I'm not good at painting to start with though!) and am wondering if this would be better? I'm not too bothered about the self cleaning part as cleaning the brushes is the easiest part for me!

Jack The Lad - I'm one of the people youtube/How to videos are aimed at - I've watched videos of professional painters to see the technique used but it hasn't made any difference so far :eek:

Not sure of the reason it just seemed easier to get the paint to flow if that makes sense :confused: ?? I usually make a mess of the skirting and ceiling even with masking tape so it didn't take a lot to impress me :)

If you cover your paint brushes and rollers in plastic bags (like shopping bags etc) when you are finished painting,you dont need to wash them out, but rather they are still moist and soft when you come back to use them the following day.

I didnt believe this when I heard it first and was washing out my rollers and paint brushes at the end of each day, but I said I would try it.

You have no idea, how much time and paint it saves - quite amazing!!! :D

As regards the above quote, clingfilm over rollers is also a great end-of-day trick. A professional painter I know told me to do this, it's exactly what he does. I then dump the rollers when done and buy new (cheap) ones the next time I need them.

As for edges, the painter also told me to dilute the paint with about 10% water in a small pot, use an angled brush and 'cut in' towards the ceiling etc bit by bit. This works amazingly well.

As the choice of colours for the paint pod is limited, I was wondering if anyone has tried just pouring a different brand of emulsion into one of the paint pod containers?

The product does say that to only use the dulux paint but I was wondering if this was just marketing.

Thanks

IMHO the paintpod paint is 'thinner' than normal paint so I imagine regular paint could clog up the machine.

I have whole house to repaint. So I think 110euro approx for unit that will be used repeatedly will pay for itself over the years. I have a brochure of the 12 colours plenty of 'neutrals' so I think I could live with limited choice. I don't mind painting and am neat enough but find it very time consuming. This would really be the bonus for me. So I am seriously thinking of giving this a go.

Last edited:
Bought one yesterday for 110 EURO in B&Q. 5 Litres of cookie cream paint for 44 euro. The pod should get through 50 litres of paint before you need to change the tube. Have to say was an excellent investment I had the bedroom painted (large room 2 coats) in 3 hours no mess. Two excellent things are the edging brush provided (worth a punt alone as they sell these seperatly) and the self cleaning. Although you may have to rinse the roller as well to make sure it's fully cleaned. Definetly recommend it as it seriosly cuts down the time required to paint and the mess you usually get.

I priced the Dulux Paint Pod in Atlantic Homecare for 70euro, are you including other purchases in the 110euro price at B&Q?!?

I bought one in Homebase for E99 some months ago and was furious when I saw it in B&Q a month later for E79. The paint in Homebase was also about ten euro dearer than in B&Q.

So from information available just now, it was 99euro a while ago in B&Q, 110euro yesterday in B&Q (hopefully poster will confirm) and I saw it today for 70euro in Atlantic Homecare.... So it pays to shop around in ROI!!!

I have whole house to repaint. So I think 110euro approx for unit that will be used repeatedly will pay for itself over the years. I have a brochure of the 12 colours plenty of 'neutrals' so I think I could live with limited choice. I don't mind painting and am neat enough but find it very time consuming. This would really be the bonus for me. So I am seriously thinking of giving this a go.

I bought one and where it really saves time is that you don't have to keep loading the roller and filling the tray from the paint can. The paint is delivered to the roller at the press of a button:D so its fairly quick when painting. Its also very easy to get the hang of. The paint dries fairly quickly too. It dried in about two hours.

The most time consuming part of painting imo is the cutting in but that applies if using a traditional roller too. The edging brush that comes with it is great for cutting in, nice even lines.

The self cleaning works fairly well though you do need to give the roller a good wash under a running tap. I'd recommend buying a second roller so you can go from one colour to another in the same weekend without waiting for the roller to dry.

Bought mine for 49euro in B&Q in November :) They are widely available at 70euro. In Dec I got the paint for 34euro (39euro in B&Q with a further 15% off). I have seen some cowboys looking for 50euro for it though.

Would agree with everything Kiddo says.

Can you use an extension pole with this product?? For high celings and so on using a pole and a roller is great....

I purchased the edge/cutting-in brush that is sold as an additional accessorie. I am painting a kitchen (so felt the kitchen paint was a must in busy kitchen, seemingly not suitable for use with Pod) and used the brush it is excellent and I got very clean finish. When I move on to the living area and bedrooms I'm going to invest in the Pod as I said I intend using neutrals anyway so paint colours suits just fine. I watched the videos on u tube, looks grand so will give it a go.

Has anyone tried using 'non paintpod' paints in this? It would allow use of the dedicated bathroom and kitchen paints, and may also be more cost effective. Not sure how well it would work though.

Saw this thread last week & wit a whole house to paint, I reckoned it was the way to go. So I thought I share my experience:
- the edging brush is fab!! The sharpest lines I've ever got....a worth while investment even if you're not getting the pod.
- you still have to do all the boring prep stuff & edging....but the pod definately speeds things up when you go to do the ceiling & walls. I found it great on the ceiling (normally a pet hate of mine) - the big plus was not having to keep going up & down to re-load the roller.
- There are no splashs (unless you over load the roller by pressing the trigger too long. I started being all careful & covering things, but after a while, I just went for it & there was no mess at all (normally rollers send of a spray, don't know why it doesn't, but it doesn't!!
- I was only using white & magnolia & over large areas, so I didn't have to clean it out much...I'd reckon that would be abit of a pain if you were trying to do different rooms in different colours. And while the paint may seem abit dearer...it seems to last for ages.
- The "clean up" is probably over hyped - it does clean the tube, but the roller still needs a separate rinse out.

2 days & I got 3 bedrooms (ceiling & walls), 1 large dining/sitting room (ceiling & walls) and the kitchen (walls only). I'd say it's a definate buy for landlords in particular who need to freshen up a place (hence the magnolia !!)

...Or you could try using paint pads (available in most of the big chains). Very quick, clean and cheap (about €8-10 per set). Since I discovered these about 20 years ago I've never used anything else.

Back