New Dulux Paint Pod - "Painting Just Got Easier"

It looks nice and handy but the self cleaning bit, could life be that easy !!?:)

Believe me it is the best - what a wonderful invention.

I have no connection with Dulux but got roped into painting a rather large room belonging to my aging parents. The room colour was a deep red and my mum wanted it painted CREAM - yes CREAM. OK I am a paint novice so was a bit disgruntled when my dad mentioned (after applying the first coat) that a primer could have been used!!!!

Anyway the paint pod - brilliant -
Ease of Use - 9 out of 10

Paint application - 10 out of 10 (no drips, no brush hairs, really even )

Mess - NONE (well very little I am about the messiest painter ever)

Cost - ok so there is the cost of the POD and you are limited to the paint colours (approx 12 maybe more can't remember) - tubes and things will need replacing after using 5 of the Paint pots (I did 4 coats of a large living room with a little over 1 pot of paint can't remember the literage)

Don't get me wrong there is still work required and you will get blisters and be a bit trigger happy towards the end - whether that be the tiredness of the paint fumes....

Then the fun started - pour in some warm water - and it cleans itself - Marvellous..

I shy away normally from buying gadgets but so thrilled with this - may even do their hallway next weekend (I will use the primer this time)

Believe me it is the best - what a wonderful invention.

I have no connection with Dulux but got roped into painting a rather large room belonging to my aging parents. The room colour was a deep red and my mum wanted it painted CREAM - yes CREAM. OK I am a paint novice so was a bit disgruntled when my dad mentioned (after applying the first coat) that a primer could have been used!!!!

Anyway the paint pod - brilliant -
Ease of Use - 9 out of 10

Paint application - 10 out of 10 (no drips, no brush hairs, really even )

Mess - NONE (well very little I am about the messiest painter ever)

Cost - ok so there is the cost of the POD and you are limited to the paint colours (approx 12 maybe more can't remember) - tubes and things will need replacing after using 5 of the Paint pots (I did 4 coats of a large living room with a little over 1 pot of paint can't remember the literage)

Don't get me wrong there is still work required and you will get blisters and be a bit trigger happy towards the end - whether that be the tiredness of the paint fumes....

Then the fun started - pour in some warm water - and it cleans itself - Marvellous..

I shy away normally from buying gadgets but so thrilled with this - may even do their hallway next weekend (I will use the primer this time)
I don't think you need a primer, rather an undercoat of white emulsion should do the trick.

whether that be the tiredness of the paint fumes....
Should be no (or very little) fumes off emulsion(as it's water based), which is what I asssume you are putting on the walls rather than gloss (oil based) ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering about this as I have a whole house to paint.

Does anyone know how much it costs for the paint, the device and any bits that need replacing?

I know it can be tiring painting but it's not that hard (I hope!) - is it just that this saves you having to reload the roller?

Rookeg, did you use it for ceilings as well?

UK B&Q site has the products online. Doesn't look too bad. 30ukp for 5litre cans. The machine itself is 70ukp.

Thanks leex, I think that's very expensive. I suppose I'm not convinced of its merits - is it really faster and easier? I can't see how! Also, there are only 13 colours available for it and the only finish is matt.

Last edited:
They've even put up YouTube how-to videos! :rolleyes:

Setting up.

Painting.

Edging.

Cleaning roller.

Here's some more punter feedback..

It would have to be faster than an ordinary roller and tray job. Using those, most of the time is spent rolling on the tray, trying to get it even along the roller, refilling etc, then a lot of the dripping problem happens transferring to the wall and then with the first two runs with paint... yep, I am Mr Messy when it comes to paint! I'd be very interested, I've been putting off a paint job for the entire interior for a while now... I'd give it a go.

Would it work with ordinary non-drip I wonder... even if you had to just buy one of the original pots to use as a refill?

Bought one yesterday for 110 EURO in B&Q. 5 Litres of cookie cream paint for 44 euro. The pod should get through 50 litres of paint before you need to change the tube. Have to say was an excellent investment I had the bedroom painted (large room 2 coats) in 3 hours no mess. Two excellent things are the edging brush provided (worth a punt alone as they sell these seperatly) and the self cleaning. Although you may have to rinse the roller as well to make sure it's fully cleaned. Definetly recommend it as it seriosly cuts down the time required to paint and the mess you usually get.

Thanks guys, good info there. I think €110 is a lot of money - for that amount I could buy normal rollers and trays plus a load of beers to entice my friends around to help :)

Now if they would invent something to do the prep ... that's where I think the really hard work is!

I had the bedroom painted (large room 2 coats) in 3 hours no mess.

Is there something special about this paint? With normal emulsion paints you wouldn't start the second coat for at least 4 hours after the first (to let it dry)...

I did 4 coats of a large living room with a little over 1 pot of paint...

Hmmm, that's pretty amazing alright. Unbelievable even. :(

Why the roll-eyes? Sounds like a good use of the technology to me. Well better than Jihadi snuff movies or clips of some skangers pushing cops into lakes etc.

... I was embarrased that I had actually spent time looking at videos of a man painting a wall, so I stuck the roll-eyes in to make myself look sophisticated and cool.

Didn't work obviously! :eek:

Two excellent things are the edging brush provided (worth a punt alone as they sell these seperatly)

A quick question for those that have used the edging brush - what do you think is the reason it is better than a standard paintbrush? Am asking as I don't necessarily find masking tape makes the lines any neater (I'm not good at painting to start with though!) and am wondering if this would be better? I'm not too bothered about the self cleaning part as cleaning the brushes is the easiest part for me!

Jack The Lad - I'm one of the people youtube/How to videos are aimed at - I've watched videos of professional painters to see the technique used but it hasn't made any difference so far :eek:

Once you get the hang of standard roller and brush it would take the same time, probably less. Except for the cleaning of the rollers and the prep before hand that really the time killers for me.

i dont bother cleaing rollers as they are never the same quality again anyway. 3 rollers cost 9 euro. if you paint all day long and get the room in question done with two coats just dump the roller.

Back