Networking Groups & Events?

colly

I've recently joined a new company, and I'm always on the lookout to network for new contacts and business opportunities. Are there any 'clubs' in Ireland that are designed for this purpose? Does anyone hold regular events to just get people together to discuss what they do and find new business opportunities? I work in the IT security industry and my company are currenlty seeking partners (and clients) - so anyone I meet could tuen into a business opportunity. Surely there are loads of people in similar situations that would welcome the chance to network?

I would appreciate any advise as to how to achieve this.
Thanks
Colly

I know of one in Cork that meets early in the city,before day starts.A friend of mine attended a couple but couldn't handle early starts!

JohnnyBoy, that's probably BNI - Business Network International - who meet early in the morning (7am), so people can get back to work or their business by 9am. Have a look at www.bni.com . There are chapters all over the country.

There is also Network Ireland which helps promote women in business (if this is relevant).

Another option would be the Chamber of Commerce who hold networking events for members.

I saw a feature on a south Dublin group in a publication by the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown chamber of commerce. I think it was lunchtime meetings.

I have found a site I used to be a member of years ago: www.firsttuesday.ie - it used to be a large group of wannabe dot com millionaires but is not something a little more realistic I think.

colly said:
I have found a site I used to be a member of years ago: www.firsttuesday.ie - it used to be a large group of wannabe dot com millionaires but is not something a little more realistic I think.
No events on their website since September '04

Plato have/had their own business park but they seem to be a bit of a dead duck...

i would advise visiting as many bni meetings as you can, i used to be a member in castleknock, it's free to visit and there is a good buzz pm me for a local contact that can invite you if you like

early start tho!

these clubs are a good idea.especially BNI .never went to one because i do not have a business yet but wouuld be interesting to see the networking people do there

Cheers guys, I have got myself an introduction to a BMI meeting in the RDS in a few weeks.

It sounds like great idea, however aparantly you have to come to the meeting with at least one sales lead for someone else, and if you don't, you can't get away with it for long before they toss you out! Anyone know more?

Hey Colly,

I helped start a BNI chapter in Pearse Street that launched just before christmas 2005 (plug: thursday morning, 7am, holiday inn, all welcome. Ask for Richard :) )

I have found it to be great for my business. It's true that you are expected to bring a contribution but it is the commitment that you show to the group (turning up each week etc) that really counts and a contribution doesn't always have to be a referral (could be bringing a visitor, a testimonial etc etc).

The BNI organisation offers training to help you get referrals and once you get going you find that people come to ask you "do you know anyone that can do....?" and you do!!

Still, it's not for everyone as the early morning can be a real sh**e to get along with but I've got some great new customers from it that I wouldn't have if I wasn't a member.

Cheers

Richard

Guys I went to a BNI Meeting this morning in the RDS - a brand new chapter. It was excellent. Everyone was extremely friendly and easy to talk to. Just great to have so many like minded people in one room. I came out with quote a few leads from that one meeting. Its not cheap to join, but I am hoping to get my company to pay for it. I may try to visit some of the other chapters as a guest before I decide to join.

I am also going to go to a meeting of The Hub Network - run my a very nice ozzie guy, in Reynards at the end of this month.

I'm intersted in the RDS group, but cannot seem to find out more about this. Who is the contact?

Chapter Director in the RDS is Jim Boothe (mobile number removed by CCOVICH) - very nice guy - tell him a young lad called Colin referred you...

There is a nother new one called hotbed skillnet..based in south dublin, talks monthly with usual networking...reasonably priced from what I understood with good speakers..

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Hotbed Skillnet[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]01-4868335[/FONT]

Back