National Solidarity Bonds

HouseBuyer10

Hi everyone
Last year I put a small lump sum in a 10 year National Solidarity Fund at 16% total return. This year, from 1 October, the total return is going up to 22%.

Does that mean that I will automatically benefit from that as well or is it better to cash the sum in and invest it in the same fund after 1 October?

Thank you.

Hi everyone
Last year I put a small lump sum in a 10 year National Solidarity Fund at 16% total return. This year, from 1 October, the total return is going up to 22%.

Does that mean that I will automatically benefit from that as well or is it better to cash the sum in and invest it in the same fund after 1 October?

Thank you.
No, you signed up to 16%, and that's what you'll get. If you put more funds into a solidarity bind in October, that would get the 22%. Neither of these rates are great.

Hi everyone

Does that mean that I will automatically benefit from that as well
No.
or is it better to cash the sum in and invest it in the same fund after 1 October?
You'd have to compare the returns on leaving the existing investment in place for the remaining 9 years versus investing in the new issue for 10 years.

Edit: my post crossed with @Fortune's.

Hi everyone

Thank you.
There is an expansive discussion on this here:

While you mayget a better return by investing elsewhere, to answer your specific question, assuming that you want to stay with State Savings, you will do better if you cash-in your current holding given that it was issued in 2022, and reinvest in the new issue. It may be worth waiting to cash in until after the anniversary date of the original investment as the rates change on each anniversary date.

@Fortune

I'm curious ...why is a guaranteed 22% interest "not great"?

What better (guaranteed return) is available on the Irish market?

Back