NTMA increases rates for State Savings products

Brendan Burgess

Founder
NTMA increases rates for State Savings products

• Rates on new fixed term products to increase. The total tax free return on the new fixed rate products are as follows:
    • 3-Year Savings Bond from 1.0% to 4.0%
    • 5-Year Savings Certificate from 5.0% to 9.0%
    • 6-Year Instalment Savings from 5.5% to 10%
    • 10-Year National Solidarity Bond from 16% to 22%
  • Variable rate on the Deposit account to increase from 0.05% to 0.75%
  • For Prize Bonds, the prize fund will almost treble in size to c. €48m, with the variable rate on the prize fund increasing from 0.35% to 1.00%.

Friday, 1st September 2023

The National Treasury Management Agency (NTMA) is increasing the rates that apply to new fixed term and variable rate State Savings products and almost trebling the Prize Bond fund on offer to holders of Prize Bonds.

All new interest rate changes and new Prize Bond fund structure will be effective from the 1st October 2023.

Fixed term product changes

The change in the tax free total return and Annual Equivalent Rate (AER) for new fixed term products taken out on or after 1st October are:

• 3-Year Savings Bond from 1.0% to 4.0% (AER from 0.33% to 1.32%).
  • 5-Year Savings Certificate from 5.0% to 9.0% (AER from 0.98% to 1.74%).
  • 6-Year Instalment Savings from 5.5% to 10% (AER from 0.98% to 1.75%[1]).
  • - 10-Year National Solidarity Bond from 16% to 22% (AER from 1.50% to 2.01%).

Deposit account rate changes

The variable rate that applies to the Deposit account will increase from 0.05% to 0.75% from 1st October. Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT) applies to interest on these deposits.

Prize Bond changes

The variable rate used to calculate the total prize fund is increasing from 0.35% to 1.00% of the total value of Prize Bonds outstanding, effective from 1st October. The prize fund is almost trebling in size and prizes are tax free.

The increased prize fund will mean the new prize structure from the 1st October is as follows:

• A top monthly prize of €500,000, in the last weekly draw of every calendar month, versus the previous top monthly prize of €250,000, in the last weekly draw of every calendar quarter.
  • A top weekly prize of €50,000 in every weekly draw.
  • Each week there will be 20 prizes of €1,000 and 20 prizes of €500 respectively, compared to 10 prizes of €1,000 and 10 prizes of €500 currently.
  • The remaining weekly prize fund will be awarded in €75 prizes, which is an increase in the previous minimum prize of €50.
  • Overall, the number of prizes is expected to double to half a million per annum.

Dave McEvoy, NTMA Director of Funding and Debt Management, said:

“In setting interest rates on State Savings, the NTMA seeks a balance between providing customers with a savings option and providing long-term value to the Exchequer in terms of managing the cost of borrowing.

Rates are subject to ongoing review and take account of a number of factors, which include the wider interest rate environment, the strength of the State’s fiscal and funding position, and competitive developments in the retail savings market.”

Other information

All previous issues of Savings Bonds, Savings Certificates, Instalment Savings, and the 10 Year National Solidarity Bond will close on 30th September 2023. New issues of these fixed rate products will come into effect from 1st October. The 4-Year National Solidarity Bond will cease with effect on 30th September 2023 and there will be no new issue.

The new fixed term rates will have no effect on existing product holders. Money which has already been placed in previous issues of these products before 1st October 2023 will continue to receive the fixed rates applicable when the product was purchased, for the remaining term.

The total value of State Savings holdings was €24.9 billion at end-July 2023.

Notes to editors

Fixed term interest rates
TermProduct
Existing Total Return
Total Return effective
1 October 2023
Existing AER[2]
AER
effective
1 October 2023[3]
3 YearSavings Bond
1.0%​
4.0%​
0.33%​
1.32%​
5 YearSavings Certificates
5.0%​
9.0%​
0.98%​
1.74%​
6 YearInstalment Savings
5.5%​
10.0%​
0.98%​
1.75%[4]
10 YearNational Solidarity Bond
16%​
22%​
1.50%​
2.01%​

Variable interest rates
Product
Existing AER
AER
effective
1 October 2023
Deposit Account
0.05%​
0.75%[5]
Prize fund rate for Prize Bonds
0.35%​
1.00%​

State Savings Fixed Term Products and Prize Bonds are attractive tax free savings products. State Savings have no fees and that includes no transaction charges when someone lodges or withdraws their money.

The repayment of all State Savings money is a direct and unconditional obligation of the Government of Ireland. Funds saved in State Savings Fixed Term products and Prize Bonds are placed in the Central Fund of the Exchequer and are used to fund Government expenditure. They form part of the National Debt of Ireland.

This is a press release. It covers the main points of this ann

Thanks Brendan. I note they say that the "new fixed term rates will have no effect on existing product holders. Money which has already been placed in previous issues of these products before 1st October 2023 will continue to receive the fixed rates applicable when the product was purchased, for the remaining term.". We just invested in an issue a few months back (5 year certificates). Presumably our best bet here is to withdraw these funds and invest in the new issue? Any interest earned in the few months since we invested (which we will forfeit) will be negligible.

We just invested in an issue a few months back (5 year certificates). Presumably our best bet here is to withdraw these funds and invest in the new issue? Any interest earned in the few months since we invested (which we will forfeit) will be negligible.
Yes.
A major difference between term State Savings and bank deposits is you can exit State Savings early. The 'penalty' for doing so is clearly set out at the start - the interest is mainly earned towards the end of the term.

Last edited:
Thanks Brendan. I note they say that the "new fixed term rates will have no effect on existing product holders. Money which has already been placed in previous issues of these products before 1st October 2023 will continue to receive the fixed rates applicable when the product was purchased, for the remaining term.". We just invested in an issue a few months back (5 year certificates). Presumably our best bet here is to withdraw these funds and invest in the new issue? Any interest earned in the few months since we invested (which we will forfeit) will be negligible.
Absolutely the best strategy. Close them and reinvest. I did one back in June and will be doing the exact same thing.

The banks will have to react to this announcement. I have a large sum sitting in a bank account that will now be moved to NTMA unless I am incentivised to keep it there. I'm sure there are many more like me out there who waited patiently for State Savings rates to increase who will now jump.

Do you pay Dirt tax on NTMA interest? If not be interested to see whst the real interest rate is

Good news, finally.

Surprised that they actually agreed to increased the fixed term products, having increased the majority of these earlier this year. Given that the interest earned on fixed term products is close to zero in the early years they are now in a position where virtually every fixed term contract issued in the last few years should be terminated and reinvested.

Delighted with the structure of the Prize Bond prize fund continues to favour the smaller prizes.

The interest rates for the demand products (Prize Bonds and the Deposit Account) are now a multiple of what the banks are offering. This should put pressure on the banks to further increase their miserable demand deposit rates.

Well done to the Irish Times for highlighting this issue on behalf of depositors, and to those from here who helped raise the heat. I’m only waiting on McGrath’s presser claiming credit.

Last edited:
Looks like a good deal on the 10 year ?. Can withdraw at any time without penalty ?
Correct, as @tallpaul and @RedOnion pointed out previously, you can cash in the fixed term products at any time. You keep any interest already earned. Any contract taken out in the last few years should be reviewed as almost all will be better off being terminated and reinvested.

Thanks for your reply. I have some redundancy money sitting on BOI savings ac earning nothing. I got the state savings booklet last week from the post office, just hadn’t gotten around to sorting it out yet, glad I dithered , saves the hassle of withdrawing and re investing

All new interest rate changes and new Prize Bond fund structure will be effective from the 1st October 2023.

Just in case others haven't noticed, this is different to any rate change announcement from NTMA that I ever remember - the new rates don't take effect for another month! To my memory, term rate changes have always taken effect immediately (they're usually announced during a weekend).

In effect, nobody should put any money into Fixed State Savings during the month of September.

Edited to clarify

Last edited:
Just in case others haven't noticed, this is different to any rate change announcement from NTMA that I ever remember - the new rates don't take effect for another month! To my memory, term rate changes have always taken effect immediately (they're usually announced during a weekend).
The same thought occurred to me. Every previous rate change I remember was announced on a Sunday morning and took effect immediately. I’d guess that following the NTMA’s recent board meeting which agreed the changes the MOF was only bursting to get his presser out and couldn’t possibly wait until the 1st October to break the good news.

Do you pay Dirt tax on NTMA interest? If not be interested to see whst the real interest rate is
Do I understand correctly that State Savings AER is 66% of what an equivalent bank account would need to offer due to DIRT?

So for the 6-year plan on 1.75% AER, a bank needs to offer 2.65% to beat it?

(I'm aware of early withdrawal "penalty" / most interest is accumulated at the end)

Prize Bonds: 1% (not liable to DIRT)

A Post Demand Deposit .75%

AIB/EBS demand deposit rate is 0.25%

BOI demand deposit rate is 0.10%

PTSB demand deposit rate is .01%

Not exactly correct though since DIRT is 33% not 34%. It will be 33%+4% for anyone who declares the interest on a Form 11.

An Post's deposit offering, at 0.75% is now an option to park money while finding a better home for it. It handily beats the (Irish) bank alternatives, hopefully will apply competitive pressure there.

Being 1970's style "Book based" may rule it out for some though.

Back