My submission to CCPC on ptsb acquisition of Ulster Bank mortgages

Brendan Burgess

Founder
The CCPC is conducting a Phase 1 investigation into this proposed acquisition.
They would like submissions from interested parties before 4th January i.e. Tuesday.

I would encourage Ulster Bank mortgage holders to make submissions as you are going to pay a lot more for your mortgage if it's acquired by ptsb without any conditions being imposed by the CCPC.

Update: I attach my final submission - thanks to SPC100 and Hollow Knight for their comments and suggestions on the draft.

Brendan

Attachments

• Submission from Brendan Burgess to CCPC on ptsb acquisition of Ulster Bank mortgages.docx
    196.7 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
No comments on the submission, but just wanted to say fair play to you Brendan for all the work you put into it.

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for this excellent document.

I have some minor suggestions (formatting issues mostly).

You switch back and forth between Calibri and Times New Roman - the font should be standard throughout the whole document.

You label your fourth table 'Table 1' - you should label each table.

You label 'Table 1' source as a date in the future, which is fine if that is the day you plan to submit.

That's all I had.

Great work.

You switch back and forth between Calibri and Times New Roman - the font should be standard throughout the whole document.

You label your fourth table 'Table 1' - you should label each table.

You label 'Table 1' source as a date in the future, which is fine if that is the day you plan to submit.

Hollow Knight

Very helpful. All fixed now.
Yes, I intend to submit tomorrow which is the deadline.

I have replaced the attachment in the first post with the updated draft. If you are at a loose end today, you might have another "proofing" look at it.

Thanks again.

Brendan

Hollow Knight

Very helpful. All fixed now.
Yes, I intend to submit tomorrow which is the deadline.

I have replaced the attachment in the first post with the updated draft. If you are at a loose end today, you might have another "proofing" look at it.

Thanks again.

Brendan
I've gone over it again. Mostly to help with layout, correct the odd grammatical error, etc.

In writing documents like this, it's important to introduce the long version of a term before the abbreviation. There are many in the document and I think I caught them all but maybe you'd go through it once again. I did contract permanent tsb to ptsb and Ulster Bank to UB quite a few times but not every time.

I've re-attached it here. Hopefully you find it helpful.

Attachments

• Submission to CCPC on ptsb acquisition of Ulster Bank mortgages.docx
    186.2 KB · Views: 183
HK

That is great. Much appreciated.

I suppose I assumed that the CCPC - Sorry Competition and Consumer Protection Commission - would understand the abbreviations. But you are right. Spell it out just in case.

Brendan

Hi, i have just read it. Some very valid points, Especially Re. Same Rates for existing customers as new customers. Heres hoping non flexible ptsb will bend.
Thanks for championing this.

HK

That is great. Much appreciated.

I suppose I assumed that the CCPC - Sorry Competition and Consumer Protection Commission - would understand the abbreviations. But you are right. Spell it out just in case.

Brendan
It is very likely that they would understand the abbreviations, however it's best not to assume.

Hi HK

It looks much better after your improved layout.

I have made some small further edits and submitted it.

The final version is now attached to the first post.

Brendan

Some good coverage of the submission in today's papers.

Last edited:
Some good coverage of the submission in today's papers.

Hi Brendan.
When will we know the outcome.
Thanks

And Goodbody Stockbrokers have picked it up as well

Our own observations are that: i) there is precedent for single lender dual pricing
strategies in the Irish market; and ii) importantly, both the ptsb acquisition of
Ulster Bank loans and the BIRG acquisition of KBC Bank Ireland loan assets appear
to have been presented to the market on the presumption that rate increases will
not be imposed for borrowers. For example, ptsb’s RNS of 17th December 2021 in
relation to the Ulster Bank deal noted that the bank expects incremental gross
interest income of c.€180m (excluding discount unwind) in 2023 which will reduce
over time, while gross interest income on the portfolio for FY21 is expected to be
€225m. Furthermore, BIRG’s RNS of 22nd October 2021 in relation to the KBC Bank
Ireland deal notes that BIRG expects incremental NII of c.€160m in 2023 which
will reduce over time, while the income from the assets being acquired is estimated
at c.€240m in FY20. We expect to learn that the CCPC will elect to launch a Phase 2
review of the ptsb / Ulster Bank deal later this month (BIRG’s acquisition of KBC
Bank Ireland loans is already subject to a Phase 2 review) and it remains to be
seen whether conditionality will be applied in the case of both deals.

The Journal also gave it a mention, in their "Morning Memo", that goes out by email. Also linked back to the Indo article.

When is the outcome cpcc investigation. And do ptsb have to act on it.

The CPCC has enormous power.

They can approve the acquisition without any conditions.
They can veto the acquisition outright.

And the third option, which is the most likely, they can approve the acquisition but impose some conditions.

Brendan

The CPCC has enormous power.

They can approve the acquisition without any conditions.
They can veto the acquisition outright.

And the third option, which is the most likely, they can approve the acquisition but impose some conditions.

Brendan
Hi Brendan,

Do they have the power to impose the conditions that we want them to impose though?

Or will they do a Pontius Pilate on it and claim that those issues are not within their remit?

My fear is that they’re restricted to higher level issues such as total market share rather than the prospect of individual customers being shafted.

Thanks for your work helping HollowKnight to put the submission together.

Gordon

Back