Music that seems very popular that you just don't get

RMCF

I got to thinking about this recently while listening to Tony Fenton rave on for the umpteenth time about The Villagers.

Personally I find their music dull as dishwater.

Other Irish acts that people seem to like that I simply cannot get are:
Damien Rice
Damien Dempsey
Script

And non-Irish acts:
Cee Lo Green
Elbow

Feel free to agree or call me a Philistine if you want.

I don't get the hype around Imelda May at all, I know she is doing something a bit different but it just bores me. Agree about Damien Dempsey and The Script. Damien Rice is pleasant enough but I wouldn't buy his stuff.
I would also add U2 to the list runs away quickly........

Elbow have become very dull, though I do like them and they deserve their success.

Adele is just zzzzzzz, and what on earth is all the hype around Jamie Lawson?

I can't understand why people like Lady GaGa are hailed as genius either.

I love Lady Gaga, makes me want to dance! And I love the Script. I did buy an Imelda May album, can't say I play it very often.

Daniel O'Donnell bugs the life out of me. I heard him doing an ad for hidden hearing, saying his "Mammy" got an aid and hasn't looked back. I bet she knows where the "off" switch is. As a kid I used to walk my neigbours dog. He had a hearing aid, and when the Missus was givin him an ear-bashing he just switched it off!

Any music where the vocals have been fed through Auto-Tune and computerised

Any music where the singer changes pitch several times on each note (Mariah Carey...every contestant on those 'talent' shows)

Any music that consists of a man shouting over the melody

Any music by Beyonce

Any music where the singer changes pitch several times on each note (Mariah Carey...every contestant on those 'talent' shows)

This is the type that came to mind first. Really don't get Leoni let me lie down on a bed I'm so boring lewis.

I also don't get elbow or Imelda May or Mary who use to work in tesco.

Love love love Elbow!

I think sometimes u need to see a band live to feel a connection .... That said I saw the villagers live but felt nothing ... Same thing with beyonce

Not a fan of the script ... and Kylie ugh!

Kylie has no place in this thread :mad:
Been popular for decades and done acting

For me, Damien Rice
Famous for the Blower's Daughter and that's realy it. But there was so much hype and love for him a few years ago

I'm a fan of Damien Dempsey. I think his accent seems to put a lot of people off - its not all about inner city hardship, drugs etc. (only about 40%....).

Try these songs for a different perspective:

Hold Me, Apple of my Eye, Pretty Smile - (lighter themed)

Colony, Hell or Barbados - (historical perspective)

Rollin down to Dublin town, & several others - (Joe Higgins to music !!!)

Negative Vibes - should be the theme tune to anyone trying not to let the recession drag them down.

Puts on a good live show, Celtic jersey is only optional ;)

I was at Elbow in the O2 last week and loved them - they were supported by Villagers, and I must say, they left me cold, couldn't see the attraction at all.

Never liked The Thrills either (where are they now?!), and although I bought CDs and tried, I just couldn't take either David Kitt or Damien Rice.

(JP, you're not alone with the U2 thing.......runs away just as quickly....!!)

Dont get:
Imelda May - boooorrrring.
Damien Rice - dont know what all the fuss is about, and he hasnt done much (knew him during his brief stint in college).
Script - not great on the ears.
The plethora of bands that all sound the same that the likes of Dave Fanning go on about.

I know it's blasphemy but I don't really like the Beatles - I mean I can appreciate their musicianship, originality, songwriting etc but I've never been moved by their music and I couldn't listen to more than a few songs of theirs in one sitting.

Another group that dont do it for me is REM - some of their early stuff is ok - i.e., up to before Automatic for the People, but overall I find the music of Stipe and co to be uninteresting.

I would also add U2 to the list runs away quickly........
I would also add U2 to the list. I'm not going to bother running away.

I like quite a variety of music, everything from Beethoven to chas n dave, but I just don't like any of U2's stuff. I even bought an album of them once because I thought that there might be something wrong with me.

Back