Multi fuel stove? Recommendation?

I think the price of the stove for a gain of about 10% inefficiency over a standard stove would not be worth it imho.
Thanks fmc for your very informative post.
Do I get it right that difference in the efficiency of a regular pot belly stove and a gasification type one is only around 10%?

FMC/Headache,
We are about to start a new build with the kitchen/lounge/dining room all open plan. We are looking to have a double sided contemporary fireplace with the heart enclosed with glass doors on both sides.
I have seen them in magazines but cant find them anywhere on the net.Any ideas??

Hi Horatio
What about a double sided stove? Better output I would think at up to 18KW which you'll need for an open plan area. Calculate how my KW you need and check out www.hunterstoves.co.uk. fmc will be able to advise you better than me (I only work for dh when he's really badly stuck!!) so my knowledge of stoves is from listening to him. But I do know the money end - that's my job!! :eek:)

Hi,

I recently purchased a Mulberry Beckett from a company called Point Building Supplies in Warrenpoint, Northern Ireland. They stock a range of Mulberry stoves and were excellent help in providing me with the most appropriate stove. I would definitely advise going to them.. very competitive rates especially for those coming from the south of Ireland to purchase. company number is 028 417 73674

Thanks FMC/Headache,
I'm told by my interior designer (mrs h) that its the modern one in FMC'S link that will suit the living space. She has been told by our financial controller(me) that it might suit the space but it might not the budget!
FMC where does that client live that might let us have a look,I am based in Laois.

Hi Horatio he is based in Sligo where we are. He is usually open for people to call but I'd need to give me a quick call to ensure.
There are other units similar that may suit also but will have to search them out a bit. the key is to plan the chimney round it.
What stage are you at at present? As headache says Hunter and Yeoman are other options but are not of the built in variety. there are also another company called Bronpi (spanish) do a double sided insert much cheaper but the quality is not as good imho.

FMC

Could you recommend a model that might suit me, my house has the back boiler blanked off so I would like to get a stove that would heat 12 radiators and supplement my oil heating I light my fire fairly regularly but also have the oil going to heat the house. Also is the reconnecting of the back boiler a big job and what ballpark cost would I be looking at for this and the stove?

Cheers,

JD

FMC

Could you recommend a model that might suit me, my house has the back boiler blanked off so I would like to get a stove that would heat 12 radiators and supplement my oil heating I light my fire fairly regularly but also have the oil going to heat the house. Also is the reconnecting of the back boiler a big job and what ballpark cost would I be looking at for this and the stove?

Cheers,

JD

We have recently installed a Hunter Herald 14 which heats between 10-12 rads max. To date we are very satisfied with it, however it was quite a big job getting it in as we didn't have a back boiler previously installed, hence the mess and the cost !!
We have it workng in conjunction with our oil burning system, the stove overrides the oil if both happen to be running. We have significantly reduced out oil usage, but the multi fuel does need a good bit of fuel. One would need to burn wood to make it economically viable. We are still trying to the right type of fuel to burn, we are experiementing with different types of smokeless fuel, but to date I'm not convinced of it, I think there was a much better heat output out of normal coal

Last edited:
Hi FMC,
I do have pipeworks where I want to put the stiove as I intend to put it in the fireplace that used to heat the house b4 oil and then Gas were put in (wish I'd never changed now :( ) as far as I know the big back boiler is still there as it was only disconnected.

One would need to burn wood to make it economically viable. We are still trying to the right type of fuel to burn, we are experiementing with different types of smokeless fuel, but to date I'm not convinced of it, I think there was a much better heat output out of normal coal

Would be interested to hear peoples views on what they consider to be the most economical and heat efficient fuel for burning in stoves.

I have a Stovax Huntingdon 28 in which I have mainly been burning wood. But this can be difficult to source and needs at least a year to dry out.

I am now considering switching to smokeless coal and briquettes.

Would be interested in hearing what other people use for multi fuel stoves.

Deli, Why do you consider wood to be more economically viable ?

Hey fmc, riddle me this. I am doing an extension and want a contemporary stove for open plan living area. Given that I will put in good insulation, will it be worth it to have a back boiler to contribute to the hot water and underfloor heating in ground floor/rads upstairs? I have found only two contemporary stoves that do back boiler and both are pretty expensive.
Anyone else have an opinion?

Hi take a look at www.estherm.com some stoves on there that might interest you.
or look at my pictures. I have 1 of those.
[broken link removed]#

Best regards Flatwallet

Hi JD stoves that would fit the bill are Mulberry beckett Hunte Herald 14 or Arrow SEB 20 or Arrow TF70 if the 20 will be too tight as its really 8-10 rads. Get a plumber to give you a price to reconnect but if the pipework is there thats the biggest messiest part over with. Get three quotes and ask each to calculate a heat load for the boiler. The stoves retail at E1550 -E2400 depending on model Mulberry being cheapest TF70 being the most expensive the others in between. Flue may add E100-150 to each stove. Installation could be E500 but i am guessing here depends on what needs to be done system wise.

Happymum should be straighforward then but again get a few quotes and ask for a heat load. remember to allow that the room the stove will be situated in will be very hot depending on the stove so if its a very large room its fine if its a small room look for a stove that gets the most heat away to rads.

Shei depends on the house and how often you think you will end up witht he stove lit. if its going to be on a lot then it might be worth it if its only going to be on weekends etc i would stay dry no boiler. You will proabably get a good lot of heat spillage into the rest of the house regardless. But if you are at building stage bring the pipes to where you will have the stove anyway even if it means blanking them off. If things change 10 years down the road and people are at home more in your house and the stove is lit everyday you may consider getting another stove with boiler.
You can get a pretty contempory stove with no boiler for reasonable money.
Out of interest assuming one was a Hwam monet what was the other?

thanks fmc,
We are due to break ground next week so only at the beginning of the headaches! Sligo a bit far from Laois.I liked the one you have on the link as it is a modern unit.

Thanks

I'm told by my interior designer (mrs h) that its the modern one in FMC'S link that will suit the living space. She has been told by our financial controller(me) that it might suit the space but it might not the budget!
:D I love it!!! My friend- you think you are the financial controller, just like my DH does!! Oh go Mrs. H! :D

Back