Multi fuel stove? Recommendation?

mel o

We're looking into putting in a wood burner type stove that will also burn coal, briquettes etc. Has anyone put in one of these in their house? What make did you go for? How much should we expect to pay? How efficient are they?
Thanks in advance.

Hi, we have a Stovax Brunel 2CB stove, bought by family from UK but they are sold in Dublin also. We have it for almost 5 years now and it's really efficient compared with an open fire, a nice size and excellent heat for our sitting room, dining room and kitchen when all doors left open, when it's moderately cold (it's an average semi-d sized surburan house). I would recommend it.

I've seen others - particularly Stanley - that are way more fuel efficient, so good luck with your choice.

We have recently installed a nestor MArtin S23 the salesman told us that it was 86% efficent compared to 16% for an open fire! Sales man speil perharps!!! We have found it great for heating the sitting room and surrounding rooms, its a woodbox technology so it has loads of draft controls can leave it overnight and turn up the draft throw in some coal and away you go. Comes with a remote control costs €1,850!

How much should we expect to pay? How efficient are they?.
The majority of them claim that they have certified efficiency rates of 70-75% - with one or two of the higher end manufacturers claiming a few % more. Please note they claim efficiency levels on the most efficient fuel also - so actual efficiency depends on type/quality of fuel used.
Open fire is supposed to come in at around 30% efficiency so replacement is a no brainer. In fact, I think open fires should be banned under the next round of building regs. I don't care what romantic notions people have about them, they are just simply so inefficient. Not to mention that heat loss continues even when they're not in use - with that big perforation in the fabric of the building that is the chimney.

In fact, I think open fires should be banned under the next round of building regs. I don't care what romantic notions people have about them, they are just simply so inefficient. Not to mention that heat loss continues even when they're not in use - with that big perforation in the fabric of the building that is the chimney.

Agree 100% but i have a vested interest in selling stoves but i do get a kick out of a kind of win win situation. I make money in my business when I sell one and am happy, Joe punter saves money long term and is happy. Less fuel is used and burnt cleaner so environment is happier. So yeah no brainer imho.

fmc,

As you work in the business, what type of stove would you recommend to heat around 6 radiators and a medium size sitting room, opening 3 foot wide

Thanks

Hi Changes at a glance the mulberry yeats springs to mind but its max is 6 rads ideally work out a heat load ie are the rads singles or doubles and what size are they If you are getting a plumber to price the work ask them to calculate it in btus or kilowatts then search for a stove that gives that or more in its output spec but watch the room spec as sometimes its too high for an average room. Yeats is a good all rounder at a reasonable price.imho

Thanks for the suggestions. We got a whopper of a gas bill this week and we're about to start renovations on our kitchen/living room so it seems like the ideal time to replace the open fire that's there. Will go and read up on the suggestions here, thanks.

I've got a Waterford Stanley Erin stove with back boiler and it works great - heats the rads and hot water brilliantly.

That said, it is work to clean it and fuel it - easy to forget that. Also, fuel costs, unless you are willing to put in the time and effort to acquire wood pallets, driftwood etc for free fuel.

I'm happy with mine though, gives me an alternative to gas and all that sawing and hewing keeps me fitter than I otherwise would be!

can anyone advise how hard/expensive it is to put in a stove with back boiler rather than just a stand alone stove?

Hi bam depends where the main pipes are to connect the boiler to. Either near your existing central heating boiler or hot press but you would need a plumber to look at it. the dry version is an easier option to install but lots of people lament that they didn,t take the heat away to the rads but if it needs a lot of rooting and chasing etc it may not be worth the hassle in the house either way you will be amazed at the amount of heat from a stove over an open fire.

HI FMC, stove will be in room beside Gas Boiler...but on opposite side of the room, so hopefully it wont be too much work for the plumber! thanks

Thanks fmc,

I must look into the Mulberry yeats, have you heard of a stove called olymberyl olive? I've seen them for sale local but can't seem to find anyone to give me feedback on them?

Thanks

Thanks fmc,

I must look into the Mulberry yeats, have you heard of a stove called olymberyl olive? I've seen them for sale local but can't seem to find anyone to give me feedback on them?

Thanks

Hi Changes
As some here will know from previous posts, my dh sells stoves. We don't do the Olymberyl but have heard good reports on it. It seems to be a pretty good all rounder for very little money, but I don't know how it will hold up in the longer term.
The bottom line is that pretty much all the stoves will do the job. They are efficient and most are ISO approved or similar. You just need to decide how many rads do you want or what kind of KW output to your room you need. When you know what size you want, its all down to aesthetics - with enamel or without, etc.
Hunter has always been our biggest seller and seems to be very popular in our part of the country. have a great range of stoves and I believe that they are very helpful.
If you do get a price just pm if you want a comparison. I know prices vary from Dublin to country, but it if anyone wants to know if they are getting a bargain, please do ask.

Last edited:
Hi Changes as headache says most stoves are good but now we look for ce approval if possible or a good back up from the supplier. there are a huge amount of copies of the mulberry stoves which in turn are a copy of stanley. I'd tread carefully and if they seem too cheap then they probably are. Back up is importanat especially if a boiler is involved.

Hi. I'm new to ABM so please excuse me if i'm disrupting . I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for Inset multi-fuel fires (20*20 room). Also has anyone a experience of purchasing units in Northern Ireland? Has it worked out being better value and have you been able to have company install in south?I live in Meath. Many thanks.

Excuse my ignorance in the matter discussed, but I have been trying to find out whether there is such thing as gasification stove. I read a lot about gasification boilers, which are supposed to be much more efficient. I do not need a stove with a boiler attached, just looking for a stove to heat the room. Surely gasification one would be better to get.
But do they exist?

I am looking into buying a multifuel stove also, the Gas bill made me cry and then almost vomit :( I am a stove virgin so looking here for help, I want a stove with boiler that will heat 8 rads and water

Hi irash,
there was a gasifacation type stove unveiled about 2 months ago. I saw it in fires and fireplaces trade magazine and will see if I can dig it out. May be a bit ott though gasifaction is about getting the maximum heat from the seasoned wood by burning the gas from the primary burn. Its a bit like a fire running upside down but the heat then is stored in a abuffer/accumulater tank and distributed around the home as heat is needed. The stove if I remember correctly was for dry heat only and would need tobe freestanding in the room. I think the price of the stove for a gain of about 10% inefficiency over a standard stove would not be worth it imho.
Myndos.
I get hit with this all the time as I am near the border too but on the North west coast. hand on my heart i cant buy the stoves at the prices some of the guys an hour away from me sell them at. By all means purchase up there if its saving you a lot of money but dont go calling to your local shop if you encounter a problem. Try to negotiate with your local shop but if they aren't willing to try then head north I guess.
A local plumber should be able to install it for you easily enough. A good stove is the Stovax Riva range or esse 350 as inserts go.

Happymum depending on what you want to spend from the brands I do, Mulberry beckett which will do up to 12 and is E1550 or Arroww seb20 doing 10 rads retails about E2000. the prices above are inc vat but plus flue and installation.
Do you have pipework near to where you intend to site the stove?

Hi FMC,

Just wondering as ur in the business, I can get a Mulberry Yeats non back boiler enamel with one year gaurantee delivery included for €850 (shopowner wanted €890 first). You don't know anywhere else who could better that. Thanks......

Back