mozzie free holiday

seantheman

was in mojacar last summer and really enjoyed it apart from the mosquitoes. is there anywhere on the spanish med coast or the islands that is mozzie free. was in menorca a few years ago and cant remember there being any there

nowhere, mozzies rule ok on the spanish med, the canaries and the greek islands. Bring mozzie deet deterrant, don't wear bright clothes or floral patterns and use anti-histamine if ultra sensitive.

Helpful as ever Anorak.

OP, do you find that you get bitten at night? Because those plugs are great to deter them in rooms. They like smells, so avoid fragranced deodrant/perfume/aftershave.

Would you consider the Canaries? - been to Fuerteventura and Lanzarote a good few times and have never had a problem with them.

Nerja (coast) or Frigiliana (6k inland) - been going for 10+ years, family of four, zero mozzie bites...

Would you consider the Canaries? - been to Fuerteventura and Lanzarote a good few times and have never had a problem with them.

Those two and Gran Canaria for me, no bites however I did use the electrical plugs

Hate to tell you, but they probably just like YOU!! (I'm the same - 5 of us go away & I get savaged!!)

The time you didn't get bitten probably was due to the time of year you sent away & there wasn't too many about - I was away about 4 years ago, delighted at how few mozzies there were & then (as if it was their birthday) there were loads. None of the rest of my family seem to really get bitten & certainly don;t react like I do (lovely big red welts & yellow centres:mad:)

Heres what I did last year & I got away fairly lightly (only about 4 on the whole trip & not as bad). The list is an accumalation of different advice.
- Started taking a vitamin B tablet about 3 weeks before hols
- Use a regular mozzie repellent stick
- Use an after sun with mozzie repellent (Boots one is pretty good)
- Burnt citronella all over the apartment (will try the plug in thing this year)
- No perfume
- Bought portable mozzie things from Deal Extreme (not sure if they really did anything, but, hey, worth the few quid

Also for this year is Gin & Tonic (less the gin:D, can;t stand it), apparently they hate the quinine in tonic which makes your blood bitter.
Also going to try to get citronella oil & dab it behind my ears....lovely!!

At least, I hope I'll get the chance to try these things out if I get a holiday!!

apparently they hate the quinine in tonic which makes your blood bitter.

Of course!!

It's so obvious and I never even thought of it - sure that was kind of the whole point of quinine in tonic water in the first place wasn't it?

I wonder if it actually works these days?

I've heard that the amount of quinine that is in modern tonic is medicinally fairly insignificant though.

avoid anything fragranced. Use e45 shower cream and dont dream of using any body lotions. Made the mistake last year on hols of putting foot cream on and ended up that night with about 20 bites on each foot. Was very sore I can tell you - and it was the last night of hols and had avoided a single bite up to that.

so much for soft feet!!!

Mix Johnson's Baby Oil and Citronella Oil to a pale straw colour and anoint yourself. Mrs K and myself used the mix during 5 years in the tropics without a bite.

thanks for all the replies (even you anorak) :p i'm sure it was tongue in cheek. i'll pay a fortune in excess baggage if i bring all those potions and lotions with me. may look to the canaries:)

Garlic supplements (for a few weeks beforehand and during) are also supposed to be good to repel mozzies (and just about everyone else probably:)

Watersprite, What are you saying? Who/what are you tryng to repell? :)

Mozzi' bites - i get huge lumps on my skin.

Re-iterate anti mozzi cream and tonic water above - they do work.
I had an anti mozzi spray that I sprayed on window/door frames that did the trick at night and then a plug in thingy (aromatherapy type thing from chemist - can get brand name if need be) you can buy.

If you leave in all day and all night (may not be part of the directions) they really work a treat.

as someone who the mosquitos adore - the slimline tonic water works a lot better than the regular (and I prefer mine with gin!)

Excuse my ignorance but where the hell is mojacar? Agree with previous poster re some people's blood been tastier than others. Mozzies love my husband but are not as fond of me.
Don't use scented deodorant. We bring Boots after sun & sun lotion with insect repellent plus some jungle strength repellant spray and wipes. Usual stuff cover up and stay indoors at dusk.
Brits in India years ago came up with the idea of G&T's to discourage the mosquitoes.

Back