Moving TV without extending cable

Bring the current cable that connects between the sat box and the wall to your local TV/Sat shop and ask him for a longer one.

@Thirsty If you can 'turn a screwdriver' as they say, then you will find this job very easy.

First work out how much cable you actually require, and DO NOT use 'aerial' cable as suggested above ( whatever that is, I'm assuming it's standard 75ohm impedance coaxial cable) but rather you will need Sat100/ RG6 etc. or similar.

Then visit your local TV/Sat shop, buy :-
1X F-type screw joiner/coupler
2X F-type Connectors (make sure screw-on type so no need for crimper)
Length of Sat cable required, practically all retailers will cut to length.
1X Box of Clips

And 'Voila' you're all set.
The only thing you have to be careful with is the termination of the F connectors, making sure that the outer and inner conductors are not left touching, as one 'stray' strand of the outer screen can cause a short. This is the single most common mistake made and it will NOT work if a short is present as low voltage is fed through the cable to power the LNB and also to enable polarity switching.
Have a look at a few Youtube vids and you're good to go.
Cheers for that - not sure I follow everything you've said just yet; but the materials aren't expensive, so will give it a go.

I am sure they are not the highest quality cable. However, I used them without any loss of signal strength or quality on a Sky+ system. It was convenient and all connected up within minutes. I used a different brand but it is not currently available (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004802I44/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
That cable linked to is Sat. cable and has different characteristics than 'ordinary aerial cable' mentioned above, ie. frequencies used, attenuation, dB loss etc.

I was merely pointing out that a specific cable for satellite exists and should be used.

How far do you need to extend the cable ? You can buy hdmi cables up to 2 metres long and extensions to double it. Would this be an easy plug and play solution if the cable fitted under a door ?

Last edited:
And I was merely pointing out that it works and it is very convenient and user-friendly!
But of course it worked ! It's Sat cable.

You can buy hdni cables up to 2 metres long and extensions to double it. Would this be an easy plug and play solution if the cable fitted under a door ?
And how does he control the STB (Set Top Box) left in the other room? I'm assuming you mean HDMI and 'hdni' is a typo.

People here are really complicating what is essentially a simple cable re-routing/extension DIY job.

@SparkRite - I need your help again if you don't mind.

Local hardware store doesn't stock this stuff & rather than traipsing around on sunny days, I'll order online.

Just want to be sure I get the right things.

Attached is photo of cable which goes into Sat box (or will be in a minute!)

So do I have this right:

I need a cable (RG6?) x metres long, one end of which needs a connector that looks like photo to go into sat box and the other end needs a connector that joins to the existing cable?

Last edited:
@SparkRite - I need your help again if you don't mind.

Local hardware store doesn't stock this stuff & rather than traipsing around on sunny days, I'll order online.

Just want to be sure I get the right things.

Attached is photo of cable which goes into Sat box (or will be in a minute!)

So do I have this right:

I need a cable (RG6?) x metres long, one end of which needs a connector that looks like photo to go into sat box and the other end needs a connector that joins to the existing cable?
No problem, you need a suitable length (allow a couple of metres extra) of satellite co-ax cable (sat100 or RG6 or similar) and three pieces of hardware :-
2 X screw on type F-connectors and 1 X screw type coupler and don't forget a box of suitable cable clips for neatness.

BTW. don't see any pics ?

PS. Just to add, what maybe an option. If you are moving closer to the dish, measure and see if the existing feed is long enough to reach the new position. If it is then simply remove the end F-Connector, pull the cable back out through the house entry point and re-route to new entry point/room, re-fit F-Connector, connect to box you're ready to go, happy days !

Last edited:
No problem, you need a suitable length (allow a couple of metres extra) of satellite co-ax cable (sat100 or RG6 or similar) and three pieces of hardware :-
2 X screw on type F-connectors and 1 X screw type coupler and don't forget a box of suitable cable clips for neatness.

BTW. don't see any pics ?

PS. Just to add, what maybe an option. If you are moving closer to the dish, measure and see if the existing feed is long enough to reach the new position. If it is then simply remove the end F-Connector, pull the cable back out through the house entry point and re-route to new entry point/room, re-fit F-Connector, connect to box you're ready to go, happy days !
Sorry couldn't figure out how to attach a photo earlier & then was out for the day.

Thx again for info, much appreciated - will get that ordered up & see how I get on.

@SparkRite - thank you so much! That was spot on, got all ordered up and installed easily enough.

I think I'll go into the business, when I heard what was being quoted to do the job...

Can I jump on the back of this with a related query please?

We don't have a dish, but I'm tempted to move from Virgin to FTA each year. We're getting some work done, so I'm going to ask our guy to install a cable now that could connect to a dish in future.

Can anyone advise what cable I need to run from the dish to the box, and then from the box to the TV itself please?

We don't have a dish, but I'm tempted to move from Virgin to FTA each year. We're getting some work done, so I'm going to ask our guy to install a cable now that could connect to a dish in future.

Can anyone advise what cable I need to run from the dish to the box, and then from the box to the TV itself please?
Why not get the dish installed now if someone is working on the house? Dishes themselves are cheap. https://www.freetv.ie/sky-satellite-dish/

You'll pick up an old sky box for €20.

Maybe install an aerial at the same time to get saorview for Irish channels

The cable you're looking for is very standard, whoever is doing the work will be able to get it cheaply. But FWIW it's called RG6 and you can get it from the likes of here - https://www.freetv.ie/satellite-cables/

I'd echo what @peemac said, get cable run for both an aerial and satellite at the same time and if it were me I'd run an extra cable or two while they're at it in-case you want to add a second dish/LNB at some point (for example Saorsat and Freesat are not on the same satellite).

Why not get the dish installed now if someone is working on the house? Dishes themselves are cheap.

You'll pick up an old sky box for €20.

Maybe install an aerial at the same time to get saorview for Irish channels

The cable you're looking for is very standard, whoever is doing the work will be able to get it cheaply. But FWIW it's called RG6 and you can get it from the likes of her

I'd echo what @peemac said, get cable run for both an aerial and satellite at the same time and if it were me I'd run an extra cable or two while they're at it in-case you want to add a second dish/LNB at some point (for example Saorsat and Freesat are not on the same satellite).
Thanks folks, very helpful. So just to be sure, it is the same cable spec from the aerial to the box and from the box to the TV?

I can see the sense in running three for sure. The aerial cable would run to the box too, presumably, if it is a decent spec box.

I'm not sure I'd trust myself to configure the dish and box myself. I'll probably find someone who can do the lot together.

I just want to get the most of the indoor cabling done now, so we're not disturbing things indoor.

Any recommendations for someone to provide dish and box would be helpful too.

Thanks folks, very helpful. So just to be sure, it is the same cable spec from the aerial to the box and from the box to the TV?

I can see the sense in running three for sure. The aerial cable would run to the box too, presumably, if it is a decent spec box.

I'm not sure I'd trust myself to configure the dish and box myself. I'll probably find someone who can do the lot together.

I just want to get the most of the indoor cabling done now, so we're not disturbing things indoor.

Any recommendations for someone to provide dish and box would be helpful too.
Yep you can use the same type of coax cable.

While you're doing some cabling, you might also have a think about CAT5 for ethernet links to certain devices that perform better when wired back to your Internet router. I'd run at least two CAT5 points to the back of the TV, one to connect the TV itself then a spare for the likes of GoogleTV or AppleTV. While you're at it I'd also run one to wherever your alarm box is, next time you upgrade it you'll likely get one that can be connected to the network for remote control. And have a think if you'd like cameras or wireless access points (ceilings are a great place to put these out of the way, if you have the cable there!).

If going the free-to-air route, remember you can use one of these to combine signals from a terrestrial aerial (mounted externally or in the attic) with a satellite feed, eliminating the need for another cable run or an indoor aerial by the TV. Use another one of them to split the signal again at the TV end.

Back