Moving TV without extending cable

Thirsty

Elderly relative wants to move TV to another room.

Present set up (as far as I can figure it out).

Own satellite dish outside which they installed donkeys years ago. Cable comes into house to sat receiver box, then HDMI connection from Sat box to TV.

Is it possible to attach a wireless thingy (sender?) onto the sat box that will transmit the signal to the TV in the next room?

HDMI over-the-air kits exist, but they’re not cheap and you’d also need something to transmit the remote control signal as well, otherwise they’d need to walk to the other room to change the channel.

It would be cheaper and a lot more reliable to get the satellite cable extended into the other room and move the receiver box and TV together.

This one is €140 and includes the ability to send the TV remote signal as well - https://www.amazon.co.uk/measy-Wireless-Transmission-Extender-Transmitter/dp/B0832MG5PM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=wireless+hdmi&qid=1625213697&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFFSFUxRk8yOTVJNUomZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0MzMxNDgxSzZVM0hNNEUyR1ZBJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MDEzMDMxUEk0SVlEU0U0QThWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I've never used one, but in my experience unleashing esoteric IT equipment on elderly relatives is not a good life choice for either of you :). Extending the satellite cable is a really easy job for an electrician or a DIYer with a drill either and would cost €10 in parts at most, but most importantly will 'just work' once it's setup.

Thanks for that. €140 won't break the bank; I thought you were talking thousands!

Understand your point & if it doesn't work out, we can try something else.

that'd be handy even for moving the tv within the same room. I have the Sat box on one side of the fireplace - and I don't want to extend cables all around it to have the tv on the other side.

Please let us know how you get on and how reliable this is.

cheers

That gizmo will give you more trouble than its worth. Use 2 f conncetors and 2 joiners to extend the 2 cables or if cables runs down wall outside pullit through and re site to new room.

you need 2 joiners, 2 f conncetors for old cable, which you have, then 4 more f connectors.

this is what you need

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connector-Splicing-Coupler-Hyber-Cara/dp/B07KC5S96Q/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2VDDLDA9ONEHR&dchild=1&keywords=f+connectors&qid=1625218199&sprefix=f+connectors%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-4

I have an old Digi Sender that does what you are asking, cost around 40 euro but don't think you can get them anymore as I was looking for another recently. It's plugged into sitting room tv and 2nd receiver then plugged in to bedroom tv, it works for the remote as well as there is a little gadget attached to the door on front of the sky box in sitting room that redirects the remote signal.

Only downside to it is sometimes for no reason at all the receiver box has to be moved slightly in bedroom, could be perfect picture for days and then it might start to be noisy or fuzzy, move it a fraction and it works again! Laptop interferes with signal too if using at same time in bedroom and some neighbour or other uses something early every morning for about 15 minutes that drives the reception mad!

Edit, actually just reread your post and you're not looking for something for a second telly but moving a tv, sorry! :) Must read more carefully!

Last edited:
Extending the cables and drilling holes etc., not really a good choice at this time.

Don't think laptop use will be an issue.

Take yr point re the reception.

I think for the €140 it's worth a shot; likely to be a few weeks before its set up; will post back & let you know how it goes.

The reviews on the specific product posted above aren't great. But I know what to look for so will see what else there is.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
That gizmo will give you more trouble than its worth.
Couldn't agree more ! Especially trying to transmit a full HD signal. Any of these 'gadgets' I have had experience with over the years while on first impression may appear to work well, but over time you start to notice it's shortcomings. Latency, delay, pixelation, lip sync. etc...

to extend the 2 cables
We don't know if a twin LNB is being used, may just be the one cable.

Extending the cables and drilling holes etc., not really a good choice at this time
If you don't want to do it yourself, surely you would know some local handyman that would do it for less than the price of the gadget.
Besides saving some money ( and grief ?) at least you would know that this is the correct way to do it and it would just work properly.

Last edited:
Back to the drawing board on this one - it looks like extending the cable might be do-able after all (don't ask!)

Can anyone give me the dummies guide to doing this? There's just one cable though @NOAH mentioned two cables?

Most people will have something like Sky+, which has two tuners and hence why @NOAH mentioned two cables, one for each tuner The stuff they linked to is how to make your own working cable, if you have another length of aerial cable to use as the extension; it's actually pretty easy but I suspect you would prefer to just get a length of cable already with the right connections (F connections, with the sticking-out wire in the centre) and then a small coupler to join the two together.

I used something like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Satellites-Satellite-Extension-Connectors-White/dp/B01CSFWGU6/ref=psdc_1338421031_t2_B004802I44

They have connnectors fitted at both ends. Just attach the appropriate end to the connector on your current cables (or cable, if just one feed) and run the other to the satellite box, wherever it is relocated, and connect. They can be bought in different lengths. I found them "dummy proof"! The only tricky bit is the tidying up of the cable run.

I have a Virgin Media box in one room where we watch most of our TV. We also have a second box in another room from where we occasionally watch TV. We pay a fee per month for this second box. Is it possible to purchase one of the above mentioned gizmos that could send the signal from the main TV to the secondary TV?

@Thirsty If you can 'turn a screwdriver' as they say, then you will find this job very easy.

First work out how much cable you actually require, and DO NOT use 'aerial' cable as suggested above ( whatever that is, I'm assuming it's standard 75ohm impedance coaxial cable) but rather you will need Sat100/ RG6 etc. or similar.

Then visit your local TV/Sat shop, buy :-
1X F-type screw joiner/coupler
2X F-type Connectors (make sure screw-on type so no need for crimper)
Length of Sat cable required, practically all retailers will cut to length.
1X Box of Clips

And 'Voila' you're all set.
The only thing you have to be careful with is the termination of the F connectors, making sure that the outer and inner conductors are not left touching, as one 'stray' strand of the outer screen can cause a short. This is the single most common mistake made and it will NOT work if a short is present as low voltage is fed through the cable to power the LNB and also to enable polarity switching.
Have a look at a few Youtube vids and you're good to go.

First work out how much cable you actually require, and DO NOT use 'aerial' cable as suggested above ( whatever that is, I'm assuming it's standard 75ohm impedance coaxial cable) but rather you will need Sat100/ RG6 etc. or similar.

I am sure they are not the highest quality cable. However, I used them without any loss of signal strength or quality on a Sky+ system. It was convenient and all connected up within minutes. I used a different brand but it is not currently available (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004802I44/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Last edited:
Back