moving to Dublin...where to rent?

jillyb

Hey there

My other half has gotten a job in Dublin & we're hoping to move in next few weeks.
We were wondering where would be best for both of us ; not too far from work for him, close to amenities & also central enough as I won't have a job yet when we pick a place so we would like to rent a place that has good buses or on luas line for when i do find a job.

He's working out in new nangor rd, Dublin 22 and he will be driving to work

So looking for somewhere that would suit us both.We've been looking around Dublin 12 just haven't seen much.

Any other suggestions of areas? thanks

somewhere in Clondalkin Village. Bus, Luas etc and and close to new nangor road. Is the job in Grange Castle Business park? Good bus links to here as well from the village. Would recommend renting in the village itself e.g try Castle Estate, Floraville, Monastery etc. Further out is a bit isolated from amenities of the village e.g shops, pubs etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Ya its in the grange castle business park. I had a look at Clondalkin but wasn't sure if it was a bit far out in case i got a job in the city centre.
Would it take long to get in?

Clondalkin village especially around the Monastery Road is well serviced by public transport and within walking distance of the Red Cow Luas stop. You are also within walking distance of the village and the shops, pubs and amenities such as Clondalkin Leisure Centre and Corkagh Park.

Are you looking at renting a house or apartment?

Luas from Red Cow takes approx 35 to 40 mins to Abbey St, D1. Have a look at Daft.ie or MyHome.ie for ideas.

As you say your husband will be driving, I'd suggest looking somewhere closer to town. Commuting out agaist the main flow of traffic is pretty quick and easy.

You didn't say what kind of accomodation/facilities you're after. Are you looking for a house with gardens, appartment, etc.?

As Murfnm suggested, take a look at MyHome.ie. Use the map facility there to look at locations/properties and see what's on offer.

hi there

op here again- sorry for the delay in replying!!

so we're 3 weeks left in our lease & we still haven't found a nice place in Dublin!! ahh

looked a good few places in lucan, dublin 12, 8, clondalkin & either crappy or gone even though they are still up on daft

any advice? we ideally would prefer a two bed house/town house but obv will take an apartment.
Electric shower as can't stand immersion ones- disadvantages of having long hair & need longish showers)
parking for two cars aswell & our budget is very max €950 p/m

are we asking for too much for that budget??

as a commuter I would say attention to Leo's advice....

Your partner will have no issue driving against normal traffic flow so consider central location...... easy for you to get to work and nice to be near centre of things.

hi there

op here again- sorry for the delay in replying!!

so we're 3 weeks left in our lease & we still haven't found a nice place in Dublin!! ahh

looked a good few places in lucan, dublin 12, 8, clondalkin & either crappy or gone even though they are still up on daft

any advice? we ideally would prefer a two bed house/town house but obv will take an apartment.
Electric shower as can't stand immersion ones- disadvantages of having long hair & need longish showers)
parking for two cars aswell & our budget is very max €950 p/m

are we asking for too much for that budget??

I think you may well struggle with a budget of €950 - another problem especially in relation to an apartment would be parking for 2 cars. Can you leave one of the cars "behind" until you get a job, you may not need 2 cars in dublin.

hey thanks for the replies

ya we'd been looking closer to the city but it was hard to get two parking spaces & a nice place within our budget

we need the two cars for now as he drives to work & depending where i get work i might need my car aswell.

we have started looking in tallaght & citywest as they seem to have more what we want for our budget. would you recommend living in either places?

depending on where I get work we may not need to really go into the city centre much

thanks

I wouldn't live in either if I had the choice. Why do you need a 2 bed?

Your insistence on keeping the two cars is forcing you to look at a house in a not so desireable area, if you chose somewhere with good transport links to the 1 certainty which is your partners job location (and there are good transport links to there) then you only definitely need 1 car.

You really have to make up your mind on whether you're going to have your location decided by needing to park 2 cars or have much more freedom of choice by living on a public transport route to your partners job with parking for 1 car.

A 1 bed in Smithfield or Stoneybatter (possibly even a 2 bed but not so many of them about) would be my suggestion.

hi there

just an update

viewing a couple places today & tomorrow:

1. newlands manor in clondalkin

2. deerpark close, tallaght

3. cedarbrook, park west, dublin 12

anyone have opinions in these??

thanks so much :)

hi there

just an update

viewing a couple places today & tomorrow:

1. newlands manor in clondalkin

2. deerpark close, tallaght

3. cedarbrook, park west, dublin 12

anyone have opinions in these??

thanks so much :)

1.Newlands manor isnt bad. Its a reasonably quiet area, but you would have to drive to the luas if you wanted to use it to commute to town

2. Deerpark is a big estate with a lot of kids everywhere. Kinda like legoland with a lot of apartments and house jammed together. its about 25 mins walk to the square for the luas or the 54a will get you there

3 cedarbrook, park west, dublin 12 - you would have the train link to Heuston at Parkwest station, but there isnt a whole lot around there. M50 on one side, prison on the other with Parkwest industrial area just down the road.

Have you looked around Kingswood, belgard or kilnamanagh? These are settles areas close to your husbands job and on the luas line. Somewhere in these areas would be my preference if I was in your position

Have you considered Ballyfermot? It's friendly, safe, has all amenities and is only 20 minutes to the city centre on the bus (the Luas is about a 15 minute walk away).

These two properties in Lower Ballyfermot might fit your bill - they are both houses so you should have no problem with for 2 cars between on- and off-street parking. You'd also get a garden for any good weather that... okay, forget I mentioned anything :eek:

http://www.daft.ie/21239427
http://www.daft.ie/21240021

hey guys thanks for all the replies.

1. We are looking at a two bed as prices don't seem so diff between that & a one bed and the one neds are tiny!! sorry used to renting a 3 bed house in waterford.

here's the link to the place we're moving out of in couple of weeks:
http://www.daft.ie/21232295

I know its way cheaper as its waterford!

2. My other half will only drive to work as he needs his car for meetings out of the office etc during the day. I don't mind taking the bus or luas alright but i guess it depends where i get a job and if there are good transport links to it.

3. We are only looking on the south/west side ie dublin 8, 12, 6w, 22 & 24 & lucan so it'll be commutable for my other half for work.

4. Had a look on daft at Kingswood, belgard & kilnamanagh as suggested but didn't see much :(

5. Lastly i did originally look around ballyfermot but was told they were dodgy areas but would nyou recommend there dubgem?

thanks

Lastly i did originally look around ballyfermot but was told they were dodgy areas but would nyou recommend there dubgem?

I would totally recommend Ballyfermot (I seem to be forever doing that on AAM!).

I've been living in Lower Ballyfermot for four years now. I'm not originally from the area, but at the time I was buying it was pretty much the only place I could afford. Like you I had heard a fair few offputting facts about the place, but as I investigated further I found that most of those views were either out of date or applied to one particular part of Ballyfermot (it's a big place, long and narrow, and the part of it you ever hear bad things about is Cherry Orchard, the opposite end to Lower Ballyfermot).

I really only know Lower Ballyfermot up to (and including) Ballyfermot village, well but I love it. It's really warm and friendly, a nice mixed age profile and totally safe - over the last four years I've come and gone at all hours, as have my car- and bike- owning housemates. It's got supermarkets, shops, parks, playgrounds, gyms, takeaways, a swimming pool, a butcher's that people come from miles around to buy from and excellent transport links. It's so close to town (although a bit too far to walk) that a taxi home is easy on the wallet, but the night- bus stop is actually the same as one of the day-bus stops so it's as easy to get that (a happy coincidence many of my friends are envious of).

The longer I live here the more I like it and I would absolutely recommend the area to anybody thinking of renting or buying. I'm particularly happy to be able to correct the kind of out-of-date misinformation that seems to be out there, and that nearly misled me back when I was looking to buy. My experience has been nothing but positive and I'm happy to spread that information to anybody who's looking for it. Feel free to PM me if you want more detailed information.

Sorry, should have added that "Lower Ballyfermot" is the area between the Kylemore Road and town, also know as "the Inchicore end" or "the GAA club end".

You could consider somewhere around Inchicore or Drimnagh. There's good and bad spots in both places, so you'll have to do a bit of a reconnoitre beforehand, but there's plenty of two-bed houses on quiet roads that should be within your budget. I live close to both and have never seen any trouble while walking around. Both are good for your partner's commute (I used to work out that way myself), and great for being close to town and good transport links (close to luas red line).

Drimnagh......3 beds are 1050 tho..upper galtymore, Cooley, upper mourne, and all areas behind hospital are lovely, quiet, central with great transport....smaller3 and 2 beds towards rialto closer to your budget...bit rougher but generally ok....avoid around lissadel tho

hey thanks for the replies. going to have a look around ballyfermot, inchicore & drimnagh. ya saw some nice places around inchicore but was warned off it. any parts you would recommend as ok?
liked this place http://www.daft.ie/21239537

Last edited:
Back