Moving from England

Unhinged

Hi
I'm considering a move from England to Ireland to be near my daughter who has recently married and decided to settle there close to her husband's Irish family. I'm primarily looking to live in or around Milltown, Co Galway, but I have been advised by one or two people that my English accent might draw the odd sharp comment. This surprised me as on a recent visit to Galway everyone was very warm and friendly. I realise things might be different in the city as opposed to small towns and villages, and wondered if I am likely to encounter any problems being accepted into the local community?

but I have been advised by one or two people that my English accent might draw the odd sharp comment.
I find that hard to believe especially this day and age. Was it Irish locals who told you this? Sure there'll probably be more Poles, Lithuanians and Chinese than English if you're worried about being the odd foreigner out!

Hi,

Im from Galway city myself. I haven't been out in milltown but i also agree with Clubman. I seriously doubt it that anyone will give you any trouble whatsoever.

My sister & fiance recently moved out to the country out past Monivea & people are very nice & friendly in the country too. Also, with the rise in house prices, a lot of people from the city are moving out into the coutryside too so you won't be the only newbie in town.

The days of a tight-knit village in Ireland where everyone notices 'the outsider' are long gone. Im laughing my ass off here. I just got a mental image of 'The Bull McCabe' in the film 'The Field'. Read the review If you can get it watch the film aswell, it will give ya a good laugh & dont worry its not like that at all :D :D

the Irish Independent ran an article either today or yesterday about the immigration from the UK to Ireland. As far as I recall UK national make up the single largest block of non-national in the country (some 7% of the popoulation if I recall).

Hi
Thanks for your reassurance. I had visions of an Irish 'Royston Vasey' (League of Gentleman) with me eliciting suspicious stares from the locals! :)

It was an Irish person who mentioned the chance of the odd sharp comment, although he did stress that would only come from an ignorant few. Actually, my overiding memory of Galway is of the people; their warmth and friendliness. I was particularly struck by how laid back everyone seemed.

Thanks for the link for 'The Field'. I read the review and will definitely watch the film. Oddly enough, my daughter and her husband have been given a field from his family to build their own house, as have every member of his family!

Hi,

The days of a tight-knit village in Ireland where everyone notices 'the outsider' are long gone.

Forgot to mention in my earlier reply; The village where my daughter is currently renting a house is still very much like the tight-knit village of old. The neighbours across the field who are related to them, walk the lanes at night with a torch and call in on other houses to check everything is ok. They just knock and walk straight in, which my daughter found difficult to adjust to at first. Over here she would have kept her doors locked, even during the day, but she says they would be really offended if her door was locked when they called. The area they live is quite remote and she says a stranger would be instantly noticed and viewed with suspicion.

The neighbours across the field who are related to them, walk the lanes at night with a torch and call in on other houses to check everything is ok. They just knock and walk straight in
Ah yes - the traditional Irish country welcome for non locals... :D

[broken link removed]

This is all very funny. God forbid anybody might make a comment at your accent then you would never be able to live here. I can remeber the time i lived in England and the comments that came my way from "the natives", racist was'nt the word for it, that and complete ignorance about the country. But never mind its all hilarious and not one bit patronizing. I managed for a few years in England, i am sure you will survive the mad natives of Galway. Just lose the patronizing and by the way don't say you over from the mainland.:)

And if you ever [broken link removed] the bloke in the middle coming - RUN!

[broken link removed]

Hardly going to be an issue with the locals, but I can`t help thinking if there is going to be an issue for the Son-in-law......Waaaaaaaaaaaah!

They might slag your accent a bit but it's all good mannered, i wouldnt worry about it.

There was a brief feature on the [broken link removed] show this morning on NewsTalk during which two people recounted some of their experiences of being English and moving to Ireland. It may be on their website if you want to check it out. A colleague of mine from the late 80s to mid 90s was a Londoner who moved here for that period and the worst he ever got were persistent questions from people asking if he was on holidays when they heard his accent. Even that recently "foreign" accents were a bit more of a novelty than they are these days.

I think his comment about my English accent possibly soliciting the odd sharp remark was more to do with historical relations between the English and the Irish, as opposed to the accent itself.

Well you will usually find a small number of idiots wherever you go around the world and I'm sure Ireland is no different.

Yes, I'm sure if I do decide to settle in Ireland I'll be very happy. Thanks for all your responses :)

Register for an Irish language class and learn An Gaeilge ;) ...........that'll throw'em!

Back