Moving abroad for 2 years. Sell my Audi to trade? or Keep the car until return?

If you do store it,it will cost at least a €1000 too get it back on the road properly.

Why?

Your €1,000 amount is a bit over dramatic me thinks. If someone started it up now and again or put a trickle charger on it that should help.

A little bit of planning will ensure car is kept pristine.

Why?

Your €1,000 amount is a bit over dramatic me thinks. If someone started it up now and again or put a trickle charger on it that should help.

A little bit of planning will ensure car is kept pristine.
Leaving a vehicle which is supposed too be driven sitting for 12/24 months can cause all sorts of issues,like they tyres sitting on concrete which can dry out tyres.axel stands would be better but cost money.

Starting it and letting it tick over won’t heat the engine up too desirable temp so it would need too be driven especially diesel cars,Dpf cleaning is hundreds of euros.

A full service including fuel filter and tank draining would be needed,as well as all other fluids being checked/replaced as required.

A trickle charger will preserve the battery only,what about everything else ?

Without a doubt, sell the car. Keeping it for 2 years is insane. Plus in 2 years, used car market may well have corrected itself and prices returned to normal. I know someone who didn't move their car for a year, bar starting it and driving it couple of kms a month. After 12 months, a host of issues with the car. You also may go abroad for longer than you think.

You are looking at storing it, taxing it, insuring it, getting someone else to drive it a little bit, start it from time to time......and all because you aren't getting the price you "think" it's worth. Advertise it on Carzone, Adverts, Donedeal etc and give it a week. The car is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. You might value it at €30,000 but if it's robbed in the morning and burnt out, you will get the market value of it or the replacement value. You won't get what you "think" it's worth.

This seems like some amount of unneed complications and hassle. There are more important things in life to concern yourself with. Enjoy your experience abroad for a few years.

This thread may be of interest.

Thank you everyone so appreciate the input, I'm convinced, going to sell, makes more sense for sure. So would you sell thru a auction sale like Merlin etc over a dealership or garage in the currently good climate? These are my only 2 options. I cant do private sale as literally haven't the time.
Thoughts:
Is it worth auctioning it for the minimum 23K in the hopes i get bit more? (every penny ..)

or don't waste my time? (Are there really cash buyers at these things)?

It seems like I'm asking for a crystal ball but I'm not, Just your opinion, I have sold all my cars (3) over the years privately (cheaper value cars ) and I enjoyed the process but this is unfamiliar territory for me, just don't want to lose out financially, more then I have to. There is no sentimental value btw just to the hard saved up cash I parted with buying it :)))

Is it worth auctioning it for the minimum 23K in the hopes i get bit more? (every penny ..)

or don't waste my time? (Are there really cash buyers at these things)?
Just phone one of the big auctions, and ask if they've sold similar cars recently. They should be able to send you a list of all recent sales to give you an idea. The Merlin one is called 'snaoshot'.
It's a few years since I attended the auctions. While they tend to be lower end stuff, they frequently have sales of ex fleet and newer trade in cars & repossession that would be in the price you'd be looking for.

You can put a higher reserve, and if they get a bid that doesn't meet reserve, they'll call you to see if you'll accept.

You can put a higher reserve, and if they get a bid that doesn't meet reserve, they'll call you to see if you'll accept.
There’s a modest enough fee to auction which is payable regardless of whether the car sells or not.

If it does sell, there’s a commission charged which in the case of a higher value car can be substantial.

There’s a modest enough fee to auction which is payable regardless of whether the car sells or not.

If it does sell, there’s a commission charged which in the case of a higher value car can be substantial.
Yes indeed, there are commissions.
The sellers commission tends to be a set amount once above a certain value, and the buyers a percentage.

Sell it, market was a lot stronger six months ago but it’s still fairly strong , large diesel engine SUV,s like an Audi Q 5 is not going to hold its value well

Sell it privately though

There are 13 2016 Q5's on donedeal,mostly dealer cars with an average retail price of 27.5k .
23k plus minor repairs ,a valet and a service plus a dealer margin seems about right.

There are 13 2016 Q5's on donedeal,mostly dealer cars with an average retail price of 27.5k .
23k plus minor repairs ,a valet and a service plus a dealer margin seems about right.
Thanks for checking that out Vandriver. It helps with clarity. I did look but it was scrambling my head. So I should probably put it on auction at 23/24k and gamble for a better price after commission.. I know It would be at the top end of those retail prices so could be lucky. Do need to do as suggested and first check out the commission!

Would you have any close friends or family members who could manage a private sale on your behalf ?
TBH I’ve only got my best friend I could trust with the finances. I’d happily well compensate her for dealing with the calls & sale. She could do with the cash but I feel she can’t deal with the added stress and time. Works long hours and lots of kids. But you know I never straight up asked her but she offered without me asking to bring it to a few Dublin garages or the Merlin auction site if I wanted. Im up to eyes in actually packing & moving next week. I have other friends but you know it’s a tough ask to privately sell someone’s car. Tho my previous cars sold first couple of views, it was the handling of the many calls and many texts and time wasters that was painful. So I know it’s a tall ask. So I’m stuck with auction or garage choices for the sake of keeping my amazing best friend. I’m thinking auction is best and hoping it’s my lucky day!

TBH I’ve only got my best friend I could trust with the finances. I’d happily well compensate her for dealing with the calls & sale. She could do with the cash but I feel she can’t deal with the added stress and time. Works long hours and lots of kids. But you know I never straight up asked her but she offered without me asking to bring it to a few Dublin garages or the Merlin auction site if I wanted. Im up to eyes in actually packing & moving next week. I have other friends but you know it’s a tough ask to privately sell someone’s car. Tho my previous cars sold first couple of views, it was the handling of the many calls and many texts and time wasters that was painful. So I know it’s a tall ask. So I’m stuck with auction or garage choices for the sake of keeping my amazing best friend. I’m thinking auction is best and hoping it’s my lucky day!
You can ring around garages for quotes rather than calling in directly. Any offer would of course be subject to inspection.

There are various sites you can consult. I got a good offer at https://www.thecarcentre.ie/ in Ballina - enough of a difference to justify the trip

Any friends or family looking to buy a car? Or friends of friends ?

If its a good vehicle and you are an honest broker they might be happy to have a speedy transaction.

I might even buy it myself!

Where are you moving to. If you own a vehicle abroad for 6 months and then relocate to Ireland, you don't have to pay VRT when bringing that vehicle to register in Ireland. This would be a massive saving on what a similar car would cost here in most cases.
So I would sell it, buy a nice car wherever you move to and then bring it with you when you ome back to Ireland.

Back