Move to Cork (from Dublin)

He there,

My partner works in Blackpool and he travels from Knockraha village (which is 8 mins from Glanmire). On a good day it takes around 20 mins, although it can take up to an hour.
Glanmire and Watergrasshill are to the east and rents are between €800 - €1100 for a 3-4 bed property.
Mallow is north of Blackpool and rent is nice and cheap there.
I wouldn't recommend Blackpool itself to live, there are a number of bad comments related, but I've had no direct experience.

As much as Knockraha is slightly in the sticks, it has plenty of housing, a primary school and creche. There's a number of children here, who can play on the green.
There's a secondary school en route to Blackpool (in Sallybrook,Glanmire).

The drive from Dublin city is a good 4 - 4 and a half hours on the N8-N9-M9. As others have mentioned, the N8 is now mostly a dual carrigeway and part is a toll road (€1.80).

Hope that helps ; 0 )

What about Whitechurch or Carraignabhfear? Both are in the country and are a short commute.

I would echo that (even though I live in the Wilton area), especially if your husband is going to be working in Blackpool - it makes more sense from a commute point of view.

Congratulations on the move, would never have thought of Kanturk as a reccommendation though!

Sundays Well is a nice spot as well, a mature, traditionally "well to do" area, within walking distance of Blackpool.

Hi poorme,
Another suggestion here which I think may be ideal.
"Killeens". It's between Blackpool and Blarney, less than 5 miles
from the City Centre but still feels like the country, there are only one
or 2 small estates there, you could rent a 3/4 bedroom house for about
1000/1200 a month. Nice area, a selection of schools within 10 minutes
drive. Good schools too. You could walk to town in under 30mins.

Blackpool is actually a fine area. there used to be Council flats there that were
levelled a few years ago. These flats were an eye-sore and also were the focal
point of a lot of anti-social behaviour. It got a very bad rep then. It's a fairly decent area now.

A pint of Beamish in my local, which is a decent lounge bar in a residential area, is €3.60.

Pretty much the same for a Beamish. Can you get Beamish Red Cork anymore? I know that they opened the last keg in Dublin in a pub on Abbey street a few weeks back.

Pretty much the same for a Beamish. Can you get Beamish Red Cork anymore? I know that they opened the last keg in Dublin in a pub on Abbey street a few weeks back.

You used to be able to get it in a pub across the road from the brewery - Spailpin Fanach or the place next door it cant remember the name....

So when its time to buy im sure its going to be around/in Montenotte.
What should i know.....

That its traditionally known as Montesnotty. even though its right beside Mayfield :D

Right repeat after me "Montonaawwtee" with an emphasis on an nasal aaww. ( pronounced like nought)

Thats the end of lesson 1.

Next week we will discuss the Yawwt Club.

And where to get the best Henri Lloyd sailing jackets for said yaaawting

Pooryou! I feel your pain. I'm originally from outside cork, lived away for years (including Dublin for nearly 10) and have been back here for 12 years now. I'm in Ballyvolane which is about 20 mins walk from Blackpool. It's not very swanky, but is right on the edge of the city with fields opposite the house, a regular bus service outside the door, and dunnues and lidl 2 mins walk. St lukes is just down the road and would be very convenient for your husbands work (the link road which runs to blackpool is very close by). It is a lovely area with shops, bars and a deli etc and is walking distance to town with a good bus service, and I've seen lots of for sale/rent signs there. For schools, Cork Educate Together NS is where my daughter goes. Non denomonational with a great ethos. She was delighted to be going back in September! We have her registered for Ashton as a seconday school. Good luck and welcome to cork. I'd be happy to help out with any other questions.

How'd you get on poorme? Iv moved down from Dublin now (Not originally from Dublin) with my Cork man, working from home, no friends yadeyada.. how did you get on and what area did you decide to live? We will be looking to buy a house soon too.

Back