Move to Cork (from Dublin)

as I live in Douglas - i totally agree!
we are not form Cork and want to have a good resale but honestly Frankfield / Douglas /Rochestown the latter to a lesser extent, are murder to get out of in the morning and at weekends.
if i were you i would stick to the city (maybe the lough?) and avoid going out too far (i just like Blarney!) but if you do go Ovens / Mallow / Midleton / Glanmire haggle aggressively - the prices are overinflated in these areas IMO.

Go for Montenotte or Saint Lukes great location. lovely views over the city from alot of houses. Nice schools close by, can walk into town, or work and lots of big period houses, not as expensive as you might think either because corconians are all hung up with living in Douglas with its terrible traffic and annoying teenagers.

Very True :), St Lukes especially is fab!

Honestly, Cork has a good, very walkable city centre, so with the right choice of location both you and hubby can leave the car parked in the drive and walk everywhere. In your shoes, I would be investigating city centre properties before moving to the sticks. Living in the city is quite affordable in Cork; there are lots of families in the city centre and it's a great community.

what about mallow, I'm a dub and moved down here about 7 years ago, used to live in passage west, but traffic was terrible, nice area though, I now work close to blackpool and the journey in from mallow is 21 minutes (yes, I have timed it)

Regards

Hizzy

Aah jeez will ye stop - have of Dublin will want to move down here next!

Ooops, yes you are quite correct - we don't want all the riff raff moving over and lowering the tone of the Northside :D

Present company excepted of course!

You know everyone's perception of a place is very different. My impressions of Mallow are prone to flooding, smog & built-up but a train station that is needed at times !

If your are interested in more rural locations - then just another few locations to add to the mix.

I know someone who commutes from just north of Fermoy to Blackpool using the motorway and then backroads and it's a 35 min commute.

For trips back to Dublin it would mean you are located on the right road and as it's nearly all motorway now.

The towns and villages along this route are: Watergrasshill, Rathcormac (probably too overdeveloped for it's size), Fermoy, Kilworth, Conna, Clondulane and possibly a few more that I've forgotten.

Also another few villages towards the Mallow side that have come into mind, Castletownroche, Ballyhooly.

I moved to Cork for 1 year about 5 years ago. The plan at the time was to move permanently But I found it impossible to settle despite being from there originally.

We rented in Bishopstown, which was nice, not a lot of kids there though as it is quite an old area, but still has plenty of good schools.

I think Cork is great for kids, people are very friendly but quite perochial at the same time. Although Cork is a city it is quite low in amenities, particularly during the winter, which are long and very wet.

You are wise to rent for the first 6 months to a year, that is what I did, otheriwse I would not have been able to come back. Best of Luck with it! LS.

snap! looking forward to it...........lookin' forward to havin a few gargles.......must warn ya though if I hear anyone say 'geroutada gearden' then I'm leavin'

If ye are originally from Dublin then I would suggest that he flies up and down - there's far to many dubs here as it stands besides adding more :rolleyes:

What about the language? Unless you know what the natives are saying, you will always be at a disadvantage. I recommend an intensive course in Cawrrrrkspake before heading across the border.

Hi there,

I am originally from Clondalkin but I live in the West now. But my sister had the same problem you are having now...... about 6years ago her husband spent most of his time in Cork with his job and my sis found it difficult as he was only coming home weekends. So they decided to move down... they now live in Blarney, Which is only about 10 mins from Blackpool. They found it hard at first but now they love it. Since then my parents have moved to Cork also...they live nearer to Mitchlestown.

I go there to visit quite a bit and I would shop in Blackpool shopping centre! It's only a few minutes outside Cork city!
I don't know if that is any help to you!
If you want to ask me anything, feel free!

Eilis

My husband has been offered a new job,better money and all the rest.
But there is the chance we would have to move to cork.
Other option is for him to fly up and down at weekends.
Now i know its a huge city.
But he has to go back down in the next few weeks to settle all the details and signing stuff.
We know is its near blackpool.
Anyone have any idea about renting in area's near by.(also with potential to buy at some later stage).
Whats a good area,schools and the rest.
Need to get a look at cork myself never been.lol
We will be keeping our home here and letting it out for awhile to see how it goes.
Thanks for any help.

try outside of cork.kinsale for example.20odd km away.houses in the orchard going for 220k .lovely school and great town.

Back