Motorway lay-bys to be closed to private motorists

Brendan Burgess

Founder

The new policy updates a 2014 policy that saw the need for lay-by rest areas, given the comparatively few motorway service areas at that time. The 2015 policy contained an ambition to see motorway service areas at a maximum of 100 kilometres from each other across the network.

A spokesman for TII said the growth in motorway service areas on national roads, as well as motorways, meant there were now sufficient numbers of rest areas that were superior to the lay-bys. TII’s policy document also noted that drivers in the lay-bys were not allowed to step out of their vehicles while resting.

I did not know that I was not allowed to step out of my vehicle.

I often take a short break on a lay-by and have a stretch and a short walk. I would have thought that should be encouraged rather than prohibited.

I would be less inclined to drive off the motorway into a service area and then drive back onto the motorway. I do that if I need a longer break or to use the toilet.

So I will probably take fewer breaks.

Brendan

This is utter madness, if you are not supposed to get out of your vehicle, why do they have footpaths and rubbish bins on them?. They've been very useful if you've had to stop with a kid for a potty break or to let the dog out (on a lead I might add) to do her business.

To me, this is up there with removing all the lights at a lot of the junctions as well.

Map of all lay-bys here, or more detailed view here.

I only pass those on the M3 and M9 with any frequency, and they are rarely busy. Is over-crowding an issue of the others, or are they looking to solve a problem that doesn't exist?

Map of all lay-bys here, or more detailed view here.

I only pass those on the M3 and M9 with any frequency, and they are rarely busy. Is over-crowding an issue of the others, or are they looking to solve a problem that doesn't exist?
Probably just can't be bothered empty/clearing away litter.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of lay-bys on the M8 between Mitchelstown and portlaoise with only one motorway stop at Cashel, and the lay-bys are always very busy. After portlaoise heading into Dublin there is a stop at every junction and no lay-bys.

But do we have proper motorway service stops where you drive straight off the motorway onto the stop and can drive straight back onto the motorway. Most motorway service stations are off the motorway, you exit and then need to figure out whether the stop is at your side or do you have to cross over the motorway and down a side road to find the rest area. The stops are more about food and fuel than rest.

It seems a bit premature yet to ban stopping at them without providing more alternatives. The current motorway stops are all very busy so are well used by the public.

Surely a rest area should allow people to get out of their vehicles to Rest and stretch the legs , especially if they are on a long journey. What's the point of them otherwise.
It's not as if people run around in these areas .. Anytime I pass one on the M9 they are not that busy but people would be out having a smoke or a little stroll and the rubbish bins are always used....it seems.

I find these lay-bys very dangerous. Motorways are designed for fast moving traffic and as such have long slip roads to facilitate slowing down to exit and again to accelerate up to motorway speed when joining. Lay- bys don't have these slip roads.

I find these lay-bys very dangerous. Motorways are designed for fast moving traffic and as such have long slip roads to facilitate slowing down to exit and again to accelerate up to motorway speed when joining. Lay- bys don't have these slip roads.
and the way so many motorists re-join from stopping in these lay-bys or from stopping on the hard shoulder but immediately going into lane 1 and THEN start accelerating to motorway speed, is scary, especially on the M8.

OK, that would be a good reason for banning private cars.

I wonder if there is evidence of them causing accidents?

Brendan

I too didn't know you couldn't get out of the car, we use them to change driver. Many of the Circle K/Supermac's places are not immediately off the motor way and take too long for that. And some of the road signage confuses me as it's clear small towns have lobbied to get the signs but they are not a motor way service area at all and you could drive miles.

There should be areas without shops with just toilets like you have in France and other countries. A place to stop and stretch your legs or have a picnic (yes I know about the weather but we prefer home made sandwiches than rip off places with long queues and fights over parking spots.

And some of the road signage confuses me as it's clear small towns have lobbied to get the signs but they are not a motor way service area at all and you could drive miles.

Agree fully.

I don't drive that much and can never remember where the service places are. I have followed the signs off the motorway only to find that they are in the nearest town 5k away.

Brendan

There is no slip road entering or exiting the lay by on the M9 . It's just off the motorway itself . No danger to anyone.
I can't ever remember anyone saying it was in anyway dangerous.
If they didn't have these lay by's there would be a lot more accidents from people falling asleep at the wheel .

Agree fully.

I don't drive that much and can never remember where the service places are. I have followed the signs off the motorway only to find that they are in the nearest town 5k away.

Brendan
You could pre-plan your journeys on your iPhone / other OS using an app like WAZE (free) and if you don't have a sat-nav, have your phone speak key waypoints to you.

I think the denial of access to private motorists is a thundering disgrace, as someone once said, allegedly.

Last edited:
The slip lane on the M3 ones is ~200m in length. Are there ones that don't have such a lane?
No slip roads to or from the lay-bys on the M8, just the hard shoulder.

I regularly see motorists break suddenly to pull into the lay-by that they just became aware of, often they then enter the lay-by at excessive speed.

As peemac has also observed, when rejoining the motorway many just saunter straight into lane 1 and then build up to motorway speed.

It is illegal to stop on a motorway because it is dangerous to do so. I find it frightening to see cars let alone people standing around these lay-bys when there are no barriers to protect and, the only thing between you and lane 1 of the motorway where cars and heavy trucks are travelling at speed is a standard kerb and a hard shoulder.

I am amazed they were ever allowed.

Last edited:
I see motorists brake suddenly when they see their exit ...so no surprise there .
People don't stop on motorways either.
There is no problem with people standing around on these lay by's . If they are on the lay by how is this dangerous ?
Has there ever been an accident on a lay by ...I don't think so but stand to be corrected.
I think lay by's are a great idea.. personally.

I find those blue distance markers signs confusing when looking for a lay-by which also has a blue sign with a 'P' on it.

Back