Motor Tax Bands

it only applies to cars bought (or imported) from July.

according to Gormley, it was a logistics night-mare to apply it to 2nd hand cars, as only those form the past 2 years have the CO2 certs seemingly.

In addition, they couldn't apply it immediately (or from Jan 1st), as most of the Jan/Feb cars are already booked, so it wouldn't give the consumer any choice (i.e. if they'd already bought a bigger petrol car for Jan delivery)

I like the look of the 320d or s40 diesel now in the €290 tax band. They were in the €600. (the only problem is that they are diesels ;))

What is the rationale for not applying the new annual taxation rate to existing cars from next July 1st? When we were buying a car in 2005 we chose an Octavia 1.9TDi on the basis of its C02 emissions, 140 g/km. It was reasonable to expect that Ireland would eventually realise about global warming and follow the UK system. Since then we have paid €511 per year in expectation that we would be paying less when the govt greened-up a bit. Now instead of paying €150 from next July on, it seems that we will have to pay €560. Are there plans for a phased application of the new tax to existing cars over future years?

I find myself in the same situation but I only bought the car 7 months ago. If I had of waited until this year I would be paying the lower tax. Does anyone else think that this is very unfair?????

The existing motor tax system is inequitable in that someone with a 2l car doing 10k miles per year pays the same motor tax as a sales rep. doing 60k miles per year in a car with the same 2l engine. The proposed new system doesn't change that so it gets the thumbs down from me. Anyone know if there are low co2 emission motors that can belt up six people or are larger families further penalised with the new motor tax sysyem?

according to Gormley, it was a logistics night-mare to apply it to 2nd hand cars, as only those form the past 2 years have the CO2 certs seemingly.

This is a red-herring, or in tribunal speak, an untruth. The UK have had CO2 based emissions car tax since April 2002 and the necessary certs exist. Ireland has the same car fleet as them. The reality is that it would have been a political nightmare in the department of the environment to introduce and he decided not to incur the wrath of long-standing civil servants.

I believe, and I may well get shot down for this, that this is a combination of a revenue booster for government, and a face saver for the greens. The greens want to look like they are getting some policies implemented, and the government are happy with the extra cash.
But in reality it is a red herring. All we are doing is making Ireland more expensive than it already is. If the cost of transport goes up, the cost of living here goes up. But as long as you dress it up in green everyone swallows it - because green is the new religion and it is heresy to speak out against it.
Now, before I am accused of not caring for the environment, allow me to point out that it is the current government that allowed hundreds of thousands of non green housing to be built over the last decade. Had we introduced stricter regulations at the start, we may be a lot closer to achieving our Kyoto commitments.
Instead this new tax, and the carbon levy on fuel next year, penalises ordinary people and families and really makes very little difference to global carbon emissions when compared to the US and China - and many other countries.

I find myself in the same situation but I only bought the car 7 months ago. If I had of waited until this year I would be paying the lower tax. Does anyone else think that this is very unfair?????

No, as my road taxes would have more than doubled.;)
My cars are all high on CO2 emissions, but the combine family mileage is about 1000kms per month. So, our absolute CO2 emission is low.
So i fully agree with Demoivre's post.
Demoivre said:
The existing motor tax system is inequitable in that someone with a 2l car doing 10k miles per year pays the same motor tax as a sales rep. doing 60k miles per year in a car with the same 2l engine.
I believe that road tax should be bundled in the price of petrol. Until then, low poluters will play for heavy poluters.

Does anyone know if these new tax bands cover both private and commercial vehicles or will commercial vehicles have different rates?

I've been looking on the website and noticed that BMW's have dropped hugely. The CO2 emissions on 2.0 vechiles for the 318 and 320 will drop ~10% in terms of VRT and the Tax for these will fall into Band C (141-155 grams per km) - € 290. ( down from € 539 )..

Thats all assuming that the Irish gov use the emissions rating that the UK use.. Rip of Rep may rise its head..

Mrs Cu nearly had a heart attack. Suzuki Jimny (1.3) and the new road tax on it is €600. by no means a big vehicle but thanks to this thread I was able to reassure her that she will remain on the old bands. Does effectively mean though that she is more or less stuck with this car until it drops off the road. I changed from a Corolla to a Yaris few months ago and while there is no significant change the new system would have been cheaper for me. swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Excellent post by "PaddyFagan" over on boards which summarises the Motor Tax and VRT situation after the Budget and Gormley's "Carbon Budget":
  • Any car registered in Ireland now or registered before the 1st July 2008* will be subject to the existing VRT and Road Tax schemes, all be it with a 9% increase in Road Tax (for renewals from 1st Feb 2008)
    • Existing VRT
      • A1 Cars up to 1,400cc 22.5% of Open Market Selling Price - OMSP
      • A2 Cars 1,401 to 1,900cc 25% of OMSP
      • A3 Cars over 1,900cc 30% of OMSP
  • Existing Road Tax
    • cc not over 1,000 - now €151, renewing after 1st Feb €165
    • cc 1,001 to 1,100 - now €227, renewing after 1st Feb €249
    • cc 1,101 to 1,200 - now €251, renewing after 1st Feb €275
    • cc 1,201 to 1,300 - now €272, renewing after 1st Feb €298
    • cc 1,301 to 1,400 - now €292, renewing after 1st Feb €320
    • cc 1,401 to 1,500 - now €313, renewing after 1st Feb €343
    • cc 1,501 to 1,600 - now €391, renewing after 1st Feb €428
    • cc 1,601 to 1,700 - now €414, renewing after 1st Feb €453
    • cc 1,701 to 1,800 - now €484, renewing after 1st Feb €530
    • cc 1,801 to 1,900 - now €511, renewing after 1st Feb €560
    • cc 1,901 to 2,000 - now €539, renewing after 1st Feb €590
    • cc 2,001 to 2,100 - now €689, renewing after 1st Feb €754
    • cc 2,101 to 2,200 - now €722, renewing after 1st Feb €791
    • cc 2,201 to 2,300 - now €755, renewing after 1st Feb €827
    • cc 2,301 to 2,400 - now €786, renewing after 1st Feb €861
    • cc 2,401 to 2,500 - now €821, renewing after 1st Feb €899
    • cc 2,501 to 2,600 - now €961, renewing after 1st Feb €1,067
    • cc 2,601 to 2,700 - now €999, renewing after 1st Feb €1,109
    • cc 2,701 to 2,800 - now €1,033, renewing after 1st Feb €1,147
    • cc 2,801 to 2,900 - now €1,071, renewing after 1st Feb €1,189
    • cc 2,901 to 3,000 - now €1,109, renewing after 1st Feb €1,231
    • cc 3,001 or more - now €1,343, renewing after 1st Feb €1,491
    • Electrical - now €146, renewing after 1st Feb €146
  • Any car registered in Ireland on or after 1st July 2008* will be subject to the new VRT and Road Tax schemes - both designed to make cars which produce less carbon per km travelled cheaper. (Small Diesel Engines, Hybrids, etc)
    • New VRT
      • Band A 0 - 120g 14%
      • Band B 121 - 140g 16%
      • Band C 141 - 155g 20%
      • Band D 156 - 170g 24%
      • Band E 171 - 190 g 28%
      • Band F 191 - 225g 32%
      • Band G 226g and over 36%
    • New Road Tax
      • Band A (under 120 grams per km) - €100.
      • Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - €150.
      • Band C (141-155 grams per km) - € 290.
      • Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430.
      • Band E (171-190 grams per km) -€ 600.
      • Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000.
      • Band G, the top band -€2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per km.
* This means that new registrations or imports into Ireland after the 1st July 2008 will be subject to the new VRT and Road Tax schemes, in the case of imports this is the case irrespective of the date of orignal registration in the country of origin.

Stinger. You'll still have to pay nearly €600 as the new system only applies to new cars.

Stinger you are being penalised for driving a low CO2 emmission car!

Take a Ford Mondeo Diesel 115bhp TdCi, 2004 from the pages of the small ads.

154 grammes per Km. That makes it a Band C or €290 if it was a new car.

However as its a 2004 car a buyer will continue to pay €560 + 9.5% increase.

People are being screwed, I wonder will anyone challenge this new rip off.

Unless I've misunderstood this system will only apply to new cars so she'll be OK if she buys 2nd hand no?

Thanks Caveat, however I suspect that if she was selling it a 1.3 with €320 road tax compared with newer models with lower emmisions will be unattractive for a SH purchaser. Probably will never arise anyway as she loves it and looking around I see a few as old as 2000 (hers is 2005) in pretty much as good as new conditon so I suspect they don't depreciate as fast as some other models.

What impact on the environment have electric cars when there batteries are no longer viable? i suppose just change the batteries.

new registrations or imports into Ireland after the 1st July 2008 will be subject to the new VRT and Road Tax schemes, in the case of imports this is the case irrespective of the date of orignal registration in the country of origin.

And what happen if i import a car for which no CO2 emission figures are available, say a 1985 something?

Do they check your CO2 emissions as part of your NCT ?

They do but this data will not be used for the motor tax bands. I'm sure there are many cars out there with emissions that are now much greater than their "offical" rate.

Regarding the issue of buying a 2nd hand car after July '08, is it definite that these will still be taxed under the old bands? I'm almost certain that I read somewhere today (I can't find it) that when ownership changes after July '08 the car is taxed under the new system.

Anyone know for sure??

Regarding the issue of buying a 2nd hand car after July '08, is it definite that these will still be taxed under the old bands? I'm almost certain that I read somewhere today (I can't find it) that when ownership changes after July '08 the car is taxed under the new system.

Anyone know for sure??
For any second hand cars registered in Ireland pre July 08 the old bands continue.

It's only second hand cars imported and newly registered in Ireland post July 08 (and obviously second hand cars registered post July 08 will continue on the new system when we get to that point in time) which will fall under the new system.

Back